Geocache ranking - Fruit?

colinaly

Well done to QFC on starting up and maintaining an awesome site (www.geocachingranking.com) It keeps the game alive and up to date!! :D

We would like to know how the fruit selection fits into the whole ranking thing. Why were we a cherry and now a pineapple?

Edited by colinaly

Thanks for the praise colinaly! We do this site for fun and for the benifit of the SA cachers. Please let us know if there is something that you want to change/ add, we are all ears (it may just take a while to implement).

With regard to the fruit C commented on it on a similar forum topic Yay! We're a Watermelon!, I have quoted his comments below. Any futher questions you can ask him. The fruit are his brain child :D.

Ok... let’s talk about fruit. As you all may already know, the fruit and nut thing is all to do with your find to hide ratio. 20 finds to 1 hide classifies you as a cherry (yay) - and so will 200 finds to 10 hides. This is what we considered a good ratio! All the other fruit and nuts, followed closely by Strawberry, Pineapple, Orange, Peach, Apple and Chilli. It's debatable what a good and bad ratio is... but it's also debatable which fruit could represent good and bad ratios... so hopefully this will just be used to see which other cachers cache in the same way as you, and also just for the fun of it. Like our friend Noddy is also currently a Cherry :D - We will put up a legend sometime which will show you which fruit belongs to which ratio. Oh, and if you are a peanut, you will stay a peanut until you hide 1 cache, since a ratio needs 2 numbers above 0 to be calculated properly :D - Charlie

Part 2 QFC

This is where the fun comes in. As far as I know Part 3 has made the ratio work in a way that as you cache finds (aka TVM and C&C) tend to invinity you required cache hides for a "good" ratio do not increase as quick.

You can therefore imagine the ratio as a straigh line graph that tapers off to a flat line graph as the number of cache finds reaches around the 50 mark.

Somthing similar to the below image:

RatioPlot.jpg

The maths is not perfect, but hopefully it makes sense. :D:(

This is where the fun comes in. As far as I know Part 3 has made the ratio work in a way that...

Thought I just add that this funky graph method has not been implemented yet! This is how we WANT it to work eventually, but for now, the ratio is still only calculated by dividing the finds by the hides. My math skills are quite shocking, so when someone provides a good equation that will work out a good answer based on that curvy graph, then we will do it that way. Till then, if you have 1 million finds, like cownchicken and tvm, then don't stress about achieving that perfect cherry :) - the other fruits are also just as tasty :blink: - But for all you peanuts out there... go hide a cache! :lol: - Part 3 of QFC

Edited by QFC