?-- turn off 76CSx barometer

Does anyone know how to disable the barometric altimeter on a 76CSx? It does not work in a pressurized airplane. I would like to record a track using GPS elevation data instead of the barometric altimeter data. The GPS elevation data is also more accurate when hiking or cycling if a weather front moves through. My older GPS V works a lot better in these situations than the new unit.

Edited by GeoPedalPushers

No way as of now...many of us have requested this be changed. At least the option to allow viewing the gps elevation as a display item.

Also, when running I find the elevation data of the gps pretty poor and especially under trees. I like the barometer reading for this (with autocalibration turned off). Now, as you said, if a front moved through then your hosed but my runs are usually less than an hour. Days long hikes, I guess I would leave autocalbration on for the best overall accuracy for elevation. How often does a front move thorugh while your outside biking or running...I bet not very often and in this case I think the barometer would give far better results than the gps elevation.

In my experience..

Does anyone know how to disable the barometric altimeter on a 76CSx? It does not work in a pressurized airplane. I would like to record a track using GPS elevation data instead of the barometric altimeter data. The GPS elevation data is also more accurate when hiking or cycling if a weather front moves through. My older GPS V works a lot better in these situations than the new unit.