Kicking a coin loose?

adjensen

One of my coins has found its way into the hands of a hoarder, or at least someone who seems to have about a dozen coins and bugs that he's picked up since July. Doesn't seem that he's in any rush to drop any of them in caches, either. He's finding new caches every week, but never leaves anything. He went to a event cache this weekend, but seems to have left his "collection" at home.

I have emailed him twice, politely asking if he would place my coin in a cache, since he still seems to be going to them. He never replied.

I added a message to the coin, to the effect that I released it to travel, and if it's being logged from someone's collection, it's stolen. That didn't seem to do anything.

About all I can think to do is change the name of the coin to "THIS COIN IS STOLEN!" so that it shows up in his and my list that way. Doubt that will do much, though.

Any thoughts on how to get this coin back in circulation, from someone who picked it up over two months ago, ignores messages, and isn't a noob? Thanks!

I took a look and saw the coin in question, a couple things come to mind. Try asking the previous holder, perhaps they know the current holder and can act as a middle man. It looks like it was a hand off because they were not at an event on the date it was grabbed.

Also the current holder went to an event yesterday, maybe by some stroke of luck, it was brought there and handed to someone else!

Good Luck, hope it works out!

About all I can think to do is change the name of the coin to "THIS COIN IS STOLEN!" so that it shows up in his and my list that way. Doubt that will do much, though.

This is what I did to one of my coins that disappeared from one of my caches ... it quietly re-appeared in the same cache a coupla weeks later.

I usually don't have any angst about my coins "Disappearing". BUT I have one that was obviously grabbed by a hoarder when it was clearly marked to travel. I am still in the nicy nice e-mail stage (To which they refuse to respond) but the rest of my coins that were taken have all been relabled "CENT5's RIPPED OFF XXXXXX GEOCOIN" I am also going to change the default image on those coins to this.

88f604cb-c54d-45a8-89e7-8e37043d8ae9.jpg

I usually don't have any angst about my coins "Disappearing". BUT I have one that was obviously grabbed by a hoarder when it was clearly marked to travel. I am still in the nicy nice e-mail stage (To which they refuse to respond) but the rest of my coins that were taken have all been relabled "CENT5's RIPPED OFF XXXXXX GEOCOIN" I am also going to change the default image on those coins to this.

Thats kewl I want to do that to my coins can you post the code for the page to change it so I can add it to my coins, thats a great idea.

I took a look and saw the coin in question, a couple things come to mind. Try asking the previous holder, perhaps they know the current holder and can act as a middle man. It looks like it was a hand off because they were not at an event on the date it was grabbed.

The only problem with that was that the guy who handed it off also kept it for way too long, and it took a couple of emails to him to get the coin moving.

I realize that this coin is pretty cool, but short of images of someone pawing and preening over it daily (ala Gollum and his "precious",) I don't see why these guys don't just get the dang thing moving again.

Awesome. I think I'm gonna steal your picture, if you don't mind. :(

Sweet I will have to use that for my coin picture !!

if i saw that your coin would be in the garbage. if you put a coin out and some one holds on to it, its your problum. i've seen a million this topic a million times.

i'd say the more you herass the owner the less likley you are to ever get your coin back, and your risking have your other coins / caches go missing too

if i saw that your coin would be in the garbage. if you put a coin out and some one holds on to it, its your problum. i've seen a million this topic a million times.

i'd say the more you herass the owner the less likley you are to ever get your coin back, and your risking have your other coins / caches go missing too

Remind me to disable and remove all my caches before you come into town for a caching trip.

If someone goes to the effort to buy a coin and release it to travel in caches, we as a caching community should show that Geocoin the same respect as a Travelbug. Yes, Geocoins are highly collectable, but they're for the most part easily obtainable too. Most people who release hard to find coins do it to suprise the next cacher with a gift. If it's really that "hard to find", it's probably not trackable anyway. If you find a coin, and it is trackable, contact the coin owner if you want to keep it. Chances are they will either make arrangements to get you another, or let you know where you can get one.

If you're going to take the attitude of throwing away geocoins, because you don't agree with the coin owner's opinion, please find another hobby. Their geocoin deserves the right to travel from cache to cache just as much as any other travelbug.

Wow, nice attitude. I'm sure that stealing from the church plate is okay, as well.

It is indeed my "problum." I guess that I shouldn't spend $10 on a geocoin and release it, so that others might enjoy seeing and logging it. Might as well take the ten bucks and throw it in the trash, eh?

Maybe you've seen this topic millions of times because someone who buys something isn't happy to have someone come along and put it in their pocket.

Remind me to disable and remove all my caches before you come into town for a caching trip.

If someone goes to the effort to buy a coin and release it to travel in caches, we as a caching community should show that Geocoin the same respect as a Travelbug. Yes, Geocoins are highly collectable, but they're for the most part easily obtainable too. Most people who release hard to find coins do it to suprise the next cacher with a gift. If it's really that "hard to find", it's probably not trackable anyway. If you find a coin, and it is trackable, contact the coin owner if you want to keep it. Chances are they will either make arrangements to get you another, or let you know where you can get one.

If you're going to take the attitude of throwing away geocoins, because you don't agree with the coin owner's opinion, please find another hobby. Their geocoin deserves the right to travel from cache to cache just as much as any other travelbug.

You're right. we SHOULD show geocoin the same respect as a TB. However, some will, and some won't. Just like we all SHOULD follow the speed limit (which I don't, sometimes) and SHOULD shut up when we go to the movies (which I do, most times). Some respect others and some don't.

I like the idea of posting the coin "as stolen" when it is taken without permission. But like what an earlier poster said, they will just stop logging the coins. I mean, if they're going to put the geocoin on the shelf anyway, why would they log it?

Seems like there really isn't a win-win situation.... :blink:

:blink:

I looked at the coin page and it would seem that the person is intending to move it along soon. They left a note.

Maybe it will move again soon.

There have been several coins that have tried to flood the market to get more coins in caches. Unfortunately, there's always someone that seems to want to keep the coin anyway.

My first coin I released was a $3 Canadian coin. It was trackable through the site that sold the coins. Even at that cheap price, it didn't stop that coin from getting pilfered from a cache, put up on ebay.

While I don't like it, about the only way that you can keep a coin in circulation in caches, is to put a photocopy of it out. This becomes a disappointment for people that see the icon logged into the cache, and the expect to find an actual coin.

Maybe I should release a few photocopy coins with this setup.

fakecoin2.jpg

I could include a note stating: "If you're disappointed because this is not a real coin, discourage cachers from keeping coins that were meant to travel."

But then, someone will probably not like it and it would likely end up "in the garbage."

Yes, harassing someone about a coin they stole may get it released, but who am I to complain what someone does to their own travelers page? The coin owner can change the name / picture as much as they want, thats part of buying a coin... being able to control the little webpage.

Yes, harassing someone about a coin they stole may get it released, but who am I to complain what someone does to their own travelers page? The coin owner can change the name / picture as much as they want, thats part of buying a coin... being able to control the little webpage.

I don't believe I'm "harassing" anyone by modifying my coin pages to reflect their status.

I am VERY careful how and when I edit the coin pages. It is NOT done on a whim. If you look at the coins I did it to, none except 1 has been logged since 2005. That one was last logged into a cache 4/08/06 and the subsequent logs on the 9th (All looking for the coin.) showed the coin was missing.

You won't find that note on any coins that I have not marked as missing. (At least not yet.)

To be honest I've probably not been the best at keeping track of my coins as I really don't suffer any angst when they go missing. I am trying to change that (not the angst part :blink: )so people don't go seeking coins that are no longer in circulation.

If I do find one of my coins has been taken and logged with no movement in 30 days I write a very nice note to the holder requesting they drop the coin or let me know it is not in their possession. Up until recently everyone has been very happy to let me know the status of the coin and either place it into circulation or let me know they didn't have it. In fact, if anyone asked me to keep the coin I would undoubtedly be happy to let them do so and either adopt it to them or change the coin page to reflect they have it with my permission.

Like this approach. I have no respect for people who steal anything and in particular Geocachers who by thier actions just spoil the game for others.

May I use your image?

Regards

Andrew

I don't believe I'm "harassing" anyone by modifying my coin pages to reflect their status.

I am VERY careful how and when I edit the coin pages. It is NOT done on a whim. If you look at the coins I did it to, none except 1 has been logged since 2005. That one was last logged into a cache 4/08/06 and the subsequent logs on the 9th (All looking for the coin.) showed the coin was missing.

CENT5,

I don't think changing the name would by itself be harassing someone, nor did I say you were harassing anyone. jaredl said, "i'd say the more you herass the owner the less likley you are to ever get your coin back...", and I was agreeing with him. I never said what I think would be too much (harassing), nor did I do a date check on your coins. I merely agreed with jaredl and then pointed out that the coin's webpage was under the control of the coin owner, and as the owner they had the ability (and IMO rite) to change the name as they like no matter where it was logged, or who's possession it was in.

Saw this on a coin page today and had to share it!

Current GOAL: To be stolen by some dishonest Geocacher who thinks it's OK to TAKE something that doesn't belong to them, just because they won't get caught. Could that little thief be YOU? OR, will you do the right thing and move it to another cache? In the mean time, until it is eventually stolen, just move it along to another cache so at least a few other people can enjoy it.

About this item:

I paid $10 for this coin and if you feel you MUST have it, have the decency to admit you STOLE it. Might as well be an Honest Thief!

B)

Saw this on a coin page today and had to share it!

Current GOAL: To be stolen by some dishonest Geocacher who thinks it's OK to TAKE something that doesn't belong to them, just because they won't get caught. Could that little thief be YOU? OR, will you do the right thing and move it to another cache? In the mean time, until it is eventually stolen, just move it along to another cache so at least a few other people can enjoy it.

About this item:

I paid $10 for this coin and if you feel you MUST have it, have the decency to admit you STOLE it. Might as well be an Honest Thief!

B)

nice. put me on the watch list of that coin

People who take geocoins and then do not put them into another cache right away, may not be stealing them. I have put out roughly 300 Kansas sunshine coins in caches so far and about 15 of them are missing or held up somewhere. That is not bad for the first three months.

What appears to happen most often is a newbie picked it up and did not know how to log it out or drop it off. I have trained a few via email and they seem most appreciative. Others may pick up a coin and then not go caching again. It was like a one time experience or maybe they were with someone else or just have not had the time to go again. There are those out there with another life besides geocaching. Do not take offense. B)

There are about 3 that I figure really were taken by someone who decided to keep it. They did not log it and my emails have gone unanswered. Well, 3 out of 300 is only 1% so far. The other coins are moving around the world and bringing joy and happiness to many people. Many of the logs say that this is the first geocoin that they have found. A few have contacted me wanting to get one of their own. I still have some so I will sell them, trade them or give them away to people who email me or see me at an event. It gives me a thrill to see so many people so happy about a cheap little piece of metal.

And you know, those 15 missing Kansas sunshine geocoins may soon be replaced with special baked clay replicas with the tracking numbers on them. That way the number keeps working and the sunshine keeps spreading around the world.

Be happy. B)

There's always the chance that it hasn't been stolen. Sometimes it's a student waiting to return to college half way across the country or being held by someone planning a long trip in the near future. Usually there's a good reason. I've held a coin a week or two too long (emailed the owner though) when weather turned ugly or I had the chance to travel and add some miles to a tb. Try to be patient, but definitely continue writing and asking for it to move and it probably will over time. We've recently had two of our coins return to caches after months of polite letters asking that they be put on the road so patience prevails once in awhile. Good luck :laughing:

There's always the chance that it hasn't been stolen. Sometimes it's a student waiting to return to college half way across the country or being held by someone planning a long trip in the near future. Usually there's a good reason. I've held a coin a week or two too long (emailed the owner though) when weather turned ugly or I had the chance to travel and add some miles to a tb. Try to be patient, but definitely continue writing and asking for it to move and it probably will over time. We've recently had two of our coins return to caches after months of polite letters asking that they be put on the road so patience prevails once in awhile. Good luck :)

A week or two is one thing, three months is quite another.

And, truth be told, if this person (who, again, is not a noob) would have responded to my polite emails with a "holding for a trip" or "sorry, will get it moving again" I wouldn't care too much about the length of time. Just ignoring the emails tells me that they're fully aware that they're out of line, and they just don't care.