Finding More then the benchmark!

While checking out some of the countryside west of Milford, UT. we stopped to grab a couple of benchmarks. You never know what is under that lid until you lift it!

61377c8a-e047-4b2b-9d38-718567536f6f.jpg

Notice the scorpion parts along with the lizards and hard shell bugs. Keeps things interesting to say the least. Fortunately, we haven't found any rattlesnakes, Yet. :laughing:

What have you found?

John

Looks like a dry soup mix. :D

Just depends on how hungry you are.

I have found numerous bugs,scorpions,salamanders,spiders and all kinds of buggy things.

I have found lots of aluminum cans.

Lots of the 1960's model pull tabs.

I have found chunks of silver around one old post office.

numerous old bottles,coins.

Not the bottles surveyors left though. :D

Car parts,nails,both copper and iron.

Somethings I won't mention.

A little trouble with the bulls.

Emeralds and rubies.............uh shhhhhhhhh. :D

Spare tire from a pickup truck (rural road). Probably fell off from under bed storage, new from a GM 4x4 truck.

A few years back a local Sheriff deputy was on his way home one PM and saw a tripod sitting along side of the road. Was 7pm or so and he had the patrol car and thought the county crew must have forget thier equipment, so he put it in the patrol car and went home. Yup, you guessed it. Wen he came in the next am and looked over the activites while he was off, he found a theft report for GPS survey gear. He took down a private crews setup and had it in his trunk overnight. That made the new.

Edited by Z15

In a similar caching story...

I found this male tarantula (dozens actually) while looking for the Sulphur Baths Cache, near Coalinga, California in the Coastal Mountains on October 29, 2004. There are many of them around here and between September & October they can be found in en masse on the roads and hillsides.

91dcbf55-2ccb-4c70-866e-b95ffb48100d.jpg

It was one of my more memorable cache finds because of the spiders. While I was looking for the cache, three women in a car stopped to ask if they were on the road to the Sulphur Baths and I was able to tell them that they were. A few minutes later they were back, headed back to town. They stopped their car a few hundred feet east of my truck and got out of their car. A moment later, one of them began screaming, followed quickly by screaming from the other two. I walked down to see if everything was OK only to find that they had got out of their car to look at 'something funny' on the road. That something was a male Tarantula. When they realized what it was, they panicked... and then they noticed the others. (I counted five.) In their excitement, they managed to lock the doors of their car and couldn't get back in. I picked one up and tossed it to the side of the road and out of the way of one of them, just about the time the driver figured out how to open the doors. They jumped in and sped off without a 'goodbye' or 'thank you'.

Maybe it was because they saw me laughing.

- Kewaneh

Edited by Kewaneh & Shark

I was looking for JV4592, searching all over in all the rocks in the area near the indicated place for a drill hole. I never did find the drill hole. However, I did find this 3 or 4 foot long copperhead between a couple of the rocks I was searching for signs of a drill hole. The snake stayed there the whole time I was up on the mountain. I sneaked up behind it and and took its picture.

7904c21a-117b-40e4-a3c2-8bf5ee5ebeb9.jpg

Too bad it didn't feel like crossing over a nearby disk, but oh well. :wub:

Heck, I've got LOTS of Rattler pics! A couple a year or so. Here's the most recent one, from this August, a beautiful 3 foot or so Red Diamond Rattlesnake (Crotalus Ruber). A park ranger looking at the pics said she was the lightest red one he had ever seen. In some of the other pics, she looks almost pink. The problem is getting one to sit ahhh...... lie stilll on a benchmark..... Maybe I'll have to carry a benchmark around with me, then caaaarefulllly slip it under one sometime...... or maybe NOT!

RattlerToKlems.jpg