Nuvi 660 screen size worth it?

andman

Is the extra screen size worth the extra cost of the Nuvi 660? I ask because the screen size is only really bigger in width, not height. I would think the extra streets and such you could see on the side aren't all that important, at least not to me while navigating. Having extra screen "real estate" in front of you is more valuable IMO, which is why I like the GPS V and 60C series.

So... Forgetting about the other "options" that the Nuvi has (such as picture viewing, etc.) and thinking only about navigation, is the extra screen size of the 660 worth it?

Discuss! :laughing:

How new is the 660? My husband just got a 350 (well, I got it for him) and he's been really happy with it so far. Through froogle.com, I was able to get it for a *great* price - just over $600, including shipping.

Nuvi 660 just released in the 1st week of Sept 2006. You cant find it anywhere yet...we have to preorder it...i checked everywhere....no place have in stock

My guess is that if no one (or very few people) has seen it yet, it's going to be one of those things that you're just going to have to get your hands on and try it out for yourself...

Where can we try our hands out?

And yes, the screen size is really worth it! If i got the money, i would BUY IT RIGHT AWAY!!! i may wait until christmas and see if there is a promotion on the product, if so, will get it! if not...wait for a year and check back the price

It would have been better if the screen was that much taller, not wider. When navigating, it's usually more interesting to see where you are going than where you aren't.

That's my exact point. If the screen size is only bigger in width, I am not getting any more data than I would from the Nuvi 350 since I don't care too much about the streets a quater mile to the left and right of me, I am mostly concerned with the streets in front of me.

Does the nuvi only navigate in track up? I only navigate in track north so unless you people only drive north and south I don't see why it would be better for the nuvi to be taller than wider.

I only navigate in Track Up, my car is always facing upwards while the map turns around on the screen. Doing it that way, it's much more important for the screen to be taller than wider.

I just got my nuvi 660 this week and been driving around with it for two days now. I love it. The bluetooth works great, maps are very nice, screen is very easy to read. For me I love the screen size. I think its the perfect size for a portable gps unit. Not too big so its easy to carry and store yet big enough to read the screen while driving.

Edited by nybluecrab

I just got my nuvi this week and been driving around with it for two days now. I love it. The bluetooth works great, maps are very nice, screen is very easy to read. For me I love the screen size. I think its the perfect size for a portable gps unit. Not too big so its easy to carry and store yet big enough to read the screen while driving.

what model is yours? is it Nuvi 360? or Nuvi 660?

Its about the size of a pda. not sure if it would fit in my shirt pocket but it is very portable. screen doesnt fold. it does come with a nice leather case for storing it. I'll try to take a pic of it next to my garmin vista to give you an idea of the size if you want.

ok good...if you could have a GPS60 series...maybe you can take it side by side for all of us too see :bad:

I just got my nuvi 660 this week and been driving around with it for two days now. I love it. The bluetooth works great, maps are very nice, screen is very easy to read. For me I love the screen size. I think its the perfect size for a portable gps unit. Not too big so its easy to carry and store yet big enough to read the screen while driving.

hey you have ever had a side by side comparison with the nuvi 360? if so...what did you think of it?

the person who started this thread says that the difference between 660 and 360 are:

"Difference is bigger screen, FM transmitter, and built in traffic."

can you tell me if the FM transmitter is really good? i heard that it is not that great! please verify this for us all

Ive been mostly using the built-in speaker, because most of the time I would be rather be listening to the radio or my ipod. Here on Long Island with so many radio stations broadcasting is hard to use any fm transmitter. I know because before I installed an aux input for my ipod I was using a fm transmitter for the ipod and it didnt sound too good either.

The built in speaker seems to be fine for both nav and bluetooth.

This thread was originally asking if the screen size is worth it.

I had the 350 and the screen was a bit too small for me so I returned it. The 660 is much bigger and I think is worth the extra money. Not only are things easier to read, the screen itself is brighter, AND it's even easier to touch and enter data. The 660 unit is of course is bigger, but still fits in my pocket (3"x5"x1").

I also like the FM Transmitter. If you can find a clear station, I think it works fine. I'm still learning how to upload custom caches and MP3s. I've had some problem with larger MP3 files crashing.

If it won't break the bank, I definitely recommend going for the 660.

After a while with both, I'll say I don't personally think the extra screen size is worth it.

The size is only horizontal, it doesn't really help me. It might help you for using the other travel type functions, but I don't do that. The only thing I use my GPS for is navigation, and I don't need to see more of what's on the sides of me. If the 660 could be switched the portrait layout it would be great, but since it's landscape only, it doesn't give any more info in front of you (what I really need to know) than the 350.

Just my opinion.