Pocket PC Software

Jim W

I've been using an Ipaq Pocket PC for paperless caching for about 3 months and I've tried GPXsonar, GPXview and Cachemate. For ME, I used Cachemate a lot more than the others. I also use Mapopolis for my mapping. It allows caches to be read in and plotted on the maps. Just touch them with the stylus and up comes a lot of the cache information. I also go to Geocaching.com and use the Google Maps for caches I want to find and do a screen copy and bring it up later on the Pocket PC. Works great finding paths and creeks on an aerial view.

I've been using an Ipaq Pocket PC for paperless caching for about 3 months and I've tried GPXsonar, GPXview and Cachemate. For ME, I used Cachemate a lot more than the others. I also use Mapopolis for my mapping. It allows caches to be read in and plotted on the maps. Just touch them with the stylus and up comes a lot of the cache information. I also go to Geocaching.com and use the Google Maps for caches I want to find and do a screen copy and bring it up later on the Pocket PC. Works great finding paths and creeks on an aerial view.

Thanks peto geo, I updated GPXsonar, and GPXview, Cashmate acts to sluggish on my PPC

I use gpxsonar. I takes about 30 seconds to open a file but my files are about 12M (about 650 caches each). I actually create 5 gpxsonar files of about 3,600 caches (around 125 radius from my home) but the gpx files are too big to handle by gpxsonar ( or my PPC's memory) if I only create one file. If your files are too big you might want to create a number of them. Mine are set up using GSAK so that i have 5 files: 0-30 miles from my home, 30-40 miles, 40-50, 50-65 and over 65 miles. Maybe something like that would help.

I then coordinate with my auto-routing program Mapopolis. When I click on the cache icon on the map page, the miles from home (ie. 34.7) display along with other data so I kknow imediately which gpxsonar file I need.

Edited by Alan2

Ah - so then I'd suggest Mobipocket / Mobibook. It reads the .prc file you can get along w/ your pocket queries. I downloaded it from here: http://mobipocket.com/en/HomePage/default.asp

Take a look at back country navigator. pretty slick! http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

-cjd

Walnut Creek

Looks like a neat program if you're using your PPC to navigate, I'm just using my PPC for paperless caching, and using the 60CSx for navigating, I did bookmark the program in case I ever decide to use my PPC for navigating. Thanks for posting

Jim W