I like Waymarking

I was leery of it at first, and wish that virtual caches hadn't gone the way of the Dodo (although I see the issues with them, I enjoy them and would like them to still be a part of geocaching), but I find that I like Waymarking...

I created and manage a couple of categories...Free Campsites and Canoe & Kayak Trips...

I enjoy monitoring and adding to a couple of categories...Bloggers and Public Playgrounds and Classic BBQ & Sandwich Joints...

Categories I'm not into don't even smudge my radar screen, and it just seems like a fun and cool tech-weenie way of sharing information and building community...nothing noteworthy or insightful to point out here, just a warm and fuzzy Sunday morning thought...

I'd love to read about your positive experiences with Waymarking, and about the categories that you have created and contribute to...

Thanks,

Jamie - NFA

I was forced to use Waymarking because I am quite into earthcaching. (That's changing again, but that's a different thread). After working with WM for a few months, I actually got interested in some of the other categores because I found them along the way as I was setting up my earthcaches. Now I've set up a few categories of my own and am an officer on a bunch of others.

Now after being forced to use WM, I have figured it out and found the concept to be more enjoyable at times than GC. I have a hard time finding those tiny little film canisters out in the middle of nowhere and I have a very short attention span so my DNF (or should I say Gave Up Fast) list is rather long. With WM, the listings are much easier to find and encourage you to notice everything around you because it could be a potential waymark.

I like it quite a bit. :blink: I spent a good portion of yesterday looking for waymarks in a nearby city. I was able to get 25 of them but I know there were plenty that I missed because I wasn't aware of any category. Took me longer to enter them all than it did to record them but that's okay :laughing:

Had a lot of fun, and can't wait to go back over there and see what all I missed! Having the info on a PDA would be most helpful.

;)

The advantage of Waymarking over the 'other Groundspeak game' for is that I have met a lot of new people.

It used to be that almost 100% of my GPS fun involved local people. Now I am building new things with people across the continent, and even the world.

Part of it too is the opportunity of being able to create something, and review it. Don't get me wrong, I still love caching whether it is hiding or finding, but Waymarking definitely provides a better way to contribute on a larger scale.

Seeing locations around the world in the category groups I'm involved with has been very interesting. Talking to all of you has also been a very enriching experience.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Geocaching is perhaps my favorite activity in the woods. I'm not real crazy about urban caches but have done a few. However, Waymarking I find to be very fascinating. I enjoy seeing historical entities such as sites, buildings, other structure, or even just a historical marker sign. There is a site near here that has a piece of the Berlin wall on display. This being central Illinois, there is a fair amount of things related to Abraham Lincoln. I already knew general things but there are a lot of details that I wasn't aware of that I find fascinating. I have published a waymark for an old courthouse where Lincoln practiced law.

One more thing, I travel a fair amount for my job and find it fairly easy to log a waymark over lunch hour or get enough info to publish one. Plus, I don't have to worry about hiking through a forest and getting mud, bristles, or whatever all over me (that has happened while geocaching) and then having to go back to work.

I like Waymarking because of what I have learned about the area I live. I have learned more about the history of the area in the last six months of Waymarking than I have in the last 13 years I have lived here. Each building, grave, or sculpture I have waymarked has some history attached to it, and most of this history was unknown to me before I started Waymarking.

Another aspect I like about Waymarking is the feeling of community there is among the active waymarkers across the country and internationally. There is seldom a day I don't some communication with a waymarker from across the country, across the border or across the ocean about some aspect of Waymarking.

I like Waymarking because of what I have learned about the area I live. I have learned more about the history of the area in the last six months of Waymarking than I have in the last 13 years I have lived here. Each building, grave, or sculpture I have waymarked has some history attached to it, and most of this history was unknown to me before I started Waymarking.

Exactly! It's cool to go to a historic area and just look at everything! You can learn a lot through Waymarking, that's for sure.

Another aspect I like about Waymarking is the feeling of community there is among the active waymarkers across the country and internationally. There is seldom a day I don't some communication with a waymarker from across the country, across the border or across the ocean about some aspect of Waymarking.

I like this aspect as well. Definitely a good sense of community in helping to build and define Waymarking from the ground up!

:lol: