help with going paperless

You note you are already using GSAK. You might want to try creating an HTML export from GSAK and copying the resulting folder to your PDA.

My html export contains the same caches as I send to my GPS. This method prodvides me ALL the info I need about the caches in a very simple HTML interface (read with File Explore on my iPaq).

You can actually try it by exporting to yout hard disk and click on the INDEX file. The interfac/results will look the same as on you PDA.

I tried Cachemate (& paid for it), but did not se any large advantage over GSAK, which I use to manage my the caches sent to my GPS. I did not need yet another tool.

Good luck!

Edited by markp99

I'll voice a vote for the GSAK/CacheMate combo. For a while I did it like markp99 did, with HTML output viewed in an HTML reader on the palm...you can save a [very few] dollars and I sorta liked the format better. But I go with CacheMate now because I find it a little easier to transfer data, and much easier to set up (the HTML compiler on the PC takes a little tinkering to get just right.)

I use Mapopolis for voice and visual prompted road navigation as well as in the woods navigation. In the woods, the GPS page shows the current coordinates, distance to cache, compass rose, bearing arrow, altitude, etc. It runs $80-100. you can try it for free for 9 days. mapopolis.com

Add gpxtomaplet (free) and you can overlay all the cache icons over the Mapopolis street maps so you can see the caches as you drive arround and then autonavigate from cache to cache and get immedate info like cache name, miles from home, cache type, D/T, container type, etc just by tapping the icon on the Mapopolis map.

I also use GPXSONAR in the PPC for paperless caching.

I'll voice a vote for the GSAK/CacheMate combo. For a while I did it like markp99 did, with HTML output viewed in an HTML reader on the palm...you can save a [very few] dollars and I sorta liked the format better. But I go with CacheMate now because I find it a little easier to transfer data, and much easier to set up (the HTML compiler on the PC takes a little tinkering to get just right.)

ditto

and I will never go back...

best $28 I spent EVAR

I have a PPC, too, and tried Cachemate... Just didn't work with the unit that I had and for what we needed it to do. GPXSonar is free and works great. Nice and easy to use. I would definitly try that first and then, if it's not doing all the things that you want it to, consider trying Cachemate. Personally though, for what we need it to do (write notes about the cache, give details of the cache and decrypt the hints, show the last 5 logs...) Sonar is the way to go. Hope that you find one that fits what you need it for...

ditto

and I will never go back...

best $28 I spent EVAR

Me too. I got them both right out of the gate and I can't imagine doing it any differently.

If you don't mind doing the GPX->Cachemate file conversion yourself, Cachemate has a program called cmconvert that you can get from the same website that'll convert the GPX files for you, no additional charge.

For mapping, try Earthcomber. It's free and has excellent maps, and you can import GPX files into it to view any point of interest you like (through a web interface) and you can add temporary spots on the map in the PDA program itself. It also comes with a large array of points of interest associated with the maps/areas you download, eating, historical, scenic, etc.

I have scripts that create all my Geocaching files (Geoniche PDB's, Google Earth KML's, and Earthcomber GPX**) automatically when I receive a PQ, and every so often I update Earthcomber and Google Earth. Whenever I'm going caching, I just download the latest file into Geoniche. Works great for me.

** In case you're wondering why I say "Earthcomber GPX", if you import the PQ GPX into Earthcomber it shows Waypoints instead of cache names, so I massage the data a little from the PQ GPX into one that Earthcomber is more compatable with. I don't believe it's an issue with either the PQ or Earthcomber, just different..