Preping my first cache, couple of newbie questions

ALPINE-X

I'm working on placing my first cache and have the following questions:

1) Has anybody ever added a couple of desicant bags (silica gel bags that absorb moisture). I know this won't help if the container gets really wet, but with just normal swetting of plastic (I'm using a medium sized 'lock n lock' container), I thought this might help keep things from getting damp.

2) I'm thinking about adding a couple of AA battery 2 packs as swag. Is this considered safe for a cache? They do contain battery acid, but I wouldn't think this would be a real problem, unless one of them exploded, which seems fairly unlikely.

3) I've wrapped my container in camo-tape, but was thinking about hot glueing some leaves, branches and dirt (taken from the area I'm placing it in) to really add some stealth to the container. I think it might be interesting to try to make the container look as 'natural' as possible and have it fairly out in the open, as opposed to trying to conceal it with a rock, or bushes. Has anybody had experience with creating or finding a cache camo'd this way? The cache will be located off of a hiking trail in an area with shrub brushes.

Thanks for any input, as I'm trying to create a decent first cache, as opposed to throwing a sucrects tin under a light skirt :laughing:

Edited by ALPINE-X

Hi ALPINE-X

1) You might try the dessicant bags but if there is a moisture problem they could become contributors. Another approach is to try separate plastic ziploc bags for the swag items. Lock N Locks might sweat a bit so the bags do help and you can get various sizes at the craft store. In addition to holding swag a small bundle in an elastic band placed in a cache can be swag as well.

2) Batteries are a great idea but make sure you leave the wrapping intact. Cut off the extra cardboard to save room. If they are in the package someone might use them, loose ones will probably never get used as most visitors will see them as junk. I trim the package and then place them in a separate swag bag to add additional protection.

3) I have used just about every type of camouflage you can imagine and I am constantly trying out new combinations of materials, glues, paints and covers. I try and practice Park Friendly geocaching, a concept developed by Landsharkz, a Canadian geocaching team. Basically in Park Friendly caching you want to place all geocaches within 1 meter (3 feet) of the trail and you have to make sure no vegetation is harmed. Searchers looking for a cache with the Park Friendly icon know it isn't stuck in the bushes so camouflage becomes a factor in hiding almost every cache. Paint is good on Lock n Locks and just about any kind will stick well.

It sounds to me like you are on the right trail to a great cache hide that you will be proud to own.

A factor that many cachers underrate is the amount of wear and tear a lot of visits can create. If you make your cache a difficult search then locating it in an area that is very durable makes sense. In any sensitive area a cache that is easily located will help avoid environmental disturbance.

Dessicant is a bad idea. Unless your cache is hermetically sealed. There seems to be a major misunderstnding as to what dessicant does. Dessicant will continue to absorb mositure until it is saturated. Which in normal conditions is quite quickly. Then it will give off moisture. In a cache, it will actually become a soure of moisture. Not a good idea.

1. Personally I'd be afraid some kid might try to eat dessicant- you never know- so I wouldn't use it.

2. From what I've heard people seem to like the idea of batteries as swag although batteries wil run down in a cache if they are there for any length of time.

3. Camo seems to fall off with me. Still experimenting. Better for me to find a way to hide it- pile of rocks, hollow logs, etc.

The only problem with all three of your questions would be winter temperatures. Batteries freeze, releasing acids. Dessicant works great in the summer, but when temperatures fluctuate, it gives off the moisture that it absorbed. Camo is a great idea, but most adhesives either turn gooey or crack in extremes of temperature. Cloth camo tape works the best, and it's not 'shiny'.

1. Lock N Locks are VERY waterproof. After Hurricane Ivan, one of our caches, in a Lock N Lock was under about 10 feet of water. When we were finally able to safely retrieve it, we were surprised that not only was it still in the correct hiding spot, but it was absolutely 100% dry.

3. We tried hot gluing bark, leaves, etc. to our cache, and while inside, it looked great and held up great! Then, we hid the cache. Cachers bumped the bark, it fell off. Cachers bumped the bark when closing the container, it fell off. Then winter came, and it all fell off. I see you're in CA, so you may have better luck with that. They do make some kind of camo tape that actually has "fabric leaves" that hang off of it. In most locations this helps it blend in well so that muggles don't notice it but it's not overly difficult. Many caches that we found in the Akron, Ohio area hidden by "NEOGeo Dogs" use this material.

I'm working on placing my first cache and have the following questions:

Thanks for any input, as I'm trying to create a decent first cache, as opposed to throwing a sucrects tin under a light skirt :laughing:

I'm even "newer" than you. I'm here with a friends Foretrex 101 trying to figure out how to enter coordinates.

I haven't found one yet, much less hid one. But I will.....................

I read the answers and found myself wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter, has ever used, or thought about, something like a "gillie net." If you're not familiar with that it's a form of camoflague used by the military and hunters that has all different sizes, types, colors, etc. of pieces of stuff hanging off it. It seems to work great for them. A piece of that, or something homemade, "might" work!!!???

Funny you should ask, I've thought about this myself. My older brother was a sniper in the army. When he got out he bought an upper gillie suit (just covers the head and chest), as I guess he missed his old sniping days. We would go out in the woods by our family cabin in Mt. Laguna, CA and he would hide and I would try to find him. With no movement and the suit on he would simply disappear into the surroundings.

Anyways, I did a quick word search and found a couple of forum topics on qillie suits:'

look here

or here

Edited by ALPINE-X