Blocking Negative Bookmark Lists

bullit

Don't know why but hopefully anything that has a negative rating won't show on the cache page regardless of how many bookmarks are there. For example, if it is the only bookmark list, and it has a negative average, then it shouldn't show at all on that page. A link to the bookmarked lists would be better.

Just my 2 cents but...what is the reason for the logs if not to praise or give constructive criticism??? There really isn't much need for a negative and positive feedback in the bookmark lists at all!! I like the bookmarks where you can plan your next series of caches you want to do etc...but why let someone place a feedback bookmark on the cache page at all??

If you really wondered what a cache was like, go into the logs and read through them! I'm guessing that most will tell you if there are problems with the cache or not, if the cache is a nice area or takes you into a city dump, whether or not the cache owners care for the cache or WHATEVER you need to know! Letting someone brand another person's cache as negative or positive may not be good in all apps especially if you have people around you that don't like you...then all that needs be done is for them to have their friends leave negative feedback!

Logs are more likely to be honest...if you leave a log noting the cache was worthless and it sux because I can't stand the owner...it most likely will get deleted, but then, it's not an honest opinion anyway! However, say you find the cache on private property or in the middle of railroad tracks or WHATEVER...then you could tell others of any potential problems and the owner isn't likely to delete.

I leave criticism in some of my logs and get some too!! It's the best way to get a feel of how the cache is!!

Those bookmarks that say "caches I hate" or "waste of time caches" are merely the opinion of ONE cacher...and if someone sees that on a cache, they may not take the time to find out if the bookmark was placed fairly or not and just skip the cache!!

LIKEWISE...a cache with "this cache is beautiful" might be the opinion of a cacher that likes city streets and pavement where the next cacher may not like urbans...it's all in the eye of the reviewer (bookmark publisher). We shouldn't be subject to being rated by someone who found the cache but had a bad experience somewhere along the way (not controlled by cache owner) or may be in a bad mood when making the bookmark!!

edit to add: ANYONE can leave a bookmark on a cache page...even the guy across the country that has never found the cache...if I were to get into an arguement with cacher X and he/she decides to ruin my caches, they need only make some bad reviews or bookmarks and I can't do much about it...but they SURELY couldn't do that through the logs!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

As I said...bookmarks that are useful to the maker such as "caches I want to do" or "Freeway hides" or those types are great...but reviewing someone's cache through negative or positive bookmarks can be manipulated anyway they are set up.

Logs can't be.

edit to add: letting someone grade my work is not good when opinions vary from cacher to cacher. What I like may be someone else's pet peeve. A bad experience could brand the cache badly when it may have been a fluke accident or one of a kind experience. ALSO...having the good reviews listed first and hiding the negatives isn't much good...some might disagree with the positive review and find it utterly useless when they get to the cache (too late then though).

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Nobody out here makes bookmarks for freeway hides. People make bookmarks for caches they want to do but most don't make those public. By far the most frequent bookmarks out here are people's favorite cache lists. I know people that enjoy the same kind of caches that I enjoy so those lists are very useful to me. Also I have combined all the SD Favorites lists to make one consensus list. This list has some awesome caches that the majority of people out here have really enjoyed. This list would be handy for anyone visiting the San Diego area. ;)

Awhile back it was said that bookmarks would appear on a page in some order of ranking based on how the bookmark list was rated. Recently I noticed a bookmark list with 2 positive votes and nol negative votes, appear on a cache page below a bookmark list with 9 negative votes and not a single positive votes. Wasn't this suppose to be changed to reflect the votes and if it had a negative rating, it wouldn't appear at all on the page, but would appear on the more bookmarks link under it? Any word on this?

add my voice to those who find FTF list bookmarks tedious.

i have a list of my favorite parking lots, which was part of a joke. it includes logs that have pictures of or from the parking lot for the cache.

i also have a list of caches for which my logs have been deleted. i spend a lot of time on my logs, trying to tell a story. the list allows people who want to follow links to other copies of the missing logs. hey, i work hard on those things! i had one deleted because it was too long.

the owners of those caches do not like the bookmarks, but fans of my logs (there are some) appreciate it.

Follow up

The new "negative blocking feature" implemented by Jeremy doesnt seem to work yet. Anyone know why?

Sorry for the bump, but I remember participating in this thread. This feature (bookmark lists being ordered by percentage of positive ratings, and bookmark lists with less than 50% positive ratings being on a seperate link and not being displayed on the cache page) has still not been implemented as of this date, 5/9/2007. I'm asking because This post in this thread by Jeremy leads me to think (and I could be wrong) that TPTB believe the feature was implemented, but it never "worked". <_<

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel