Geocaching symbols on a 60CSx

ThePropers

Has anybody made an icon for micro caches? I want to have those separate from my traditional caches.

That actually is a great idea. I'll make one if you can tell me what kindof icon you'd like. I am thinking the traditional icon with maybe an "M" over it, but am open to suggestions.

It would be much easier to add these if Garmin fixes the custom waypoint problem so I can use symbols 19-23.

I see GSAK has two settings. One for "Micro Cache" and one for "Traditional Micro Cache." I would probably use the same icon for both, I suppose.

Edited by ThePropers

I haven't figured out the whole GSAK program yet so I'm just using EasyGPS and changing the icons by hand. I do like your idea for a micro icon though, I really hadn't thought much about what the icon would look like. Maybe a film canister, since alot of times thats what micros are in. Anything would work as long as you can tell it is a micro cache.

I haven't figured out the whole GSAK program yet so I'm just using EasyGPS and changing the icons by hand. I do like your idea for a micro icon though, I really hadn't thought much about what the icon would look like. Maybe a film canister, since alot of times thats what micros are in. Anything would work as long as you can tell it is a micro cache.

By hand!?!?!?! You should really switch to GSAK. Takes a bit to get configured just right, but it's well worth it.

How's this for a micro symbol? micro.jpg. Click here to download the .bmp of it, and then just rename it to the position you want it in. (i.e. "Waypoint Symbol ###.bmp")

I'll have to look to see how GSAK identifies "micro" vs "traditional micro"....my guess is "Micro" is just for any type (multi/mystery...etc) and "traditional micro" is exactly that. So I'm guessing I'd use it just for traditional micros.

By hand!?!?!?! You should really switch to GSAK. Takes a bit to get configured just right, but it's well worth it.

How's this for a micro symbol? micro.jpg. Click here to download the .bmp of it, and then just rename it to the position you want it in. (i.e. "Waypoint Symbol ###.bmp")

I'll have to look to see how GSAK identifies "micro" vs "traditional micro"....my guess is "Micro" is just for any type (multi/mystery...etc) and "traditional micro" is exactly that. So I'm guessing I'd use it just for traditional micros.

I like that symbol, thanks. I guess i will just have to mess with GSAK some more, I tried your guide and changed what was in the word document to fit my symbols, but when I got to the final step I could't find the custom symbol option :huh: . I must of done something wrong, I will mess with it later.

I was playing around tonight and realized that in "night mode" I was using the default Sapphire setting and the "Question to Answer" symbol didn't work. Since it was a black puzzle piece, it blended in perfectly with the black background, thus making it invisible.

I added a white outline to it and it looks tons better.

Here's the new file with the updated symbol. I was also toying with the idea of changing the "parking" symbol to make it show up better on the map. Not sure yet.

Edited by ThePropers

I was playing around tonight and realized that in "night mode" I was using the default Sapphire setting and the "Question to Answer" symbol didn't work. Since it was a black puzzle piece, it blended in perfectly with the black background, thus making it invisible.

I added a white outline to it and it looks tons better.

I noticed that too, but didn't think of notifying you. I haven't had the oppertunity to test it in my GPSr, but I'm sure it looks good there too.

Here's the new file with the updated symbol. I was also toying with the idea of changing the "parking" symbol to make it show up better on the map. Not sure yet.

The general icon for a parking place here in Denmark is a white P on a blue background, like this:

Parking_Off.gif

I don't know if this is the general international symbol but perhaps something along those lines would be easier to see on the map.

ProsperoDK/René

The general icon for a parking place here in Denmark is a white P on a blue background, like this:

Parking_Off.gif

I don't know if this is the general international symbol but perhaps something along those lines would be easier to see on the map.

Our parking signs here in the states is similar to that, but red lettering on a white background. I'll play around with it tonight if I have time.

Has there been any update from Garmin yet?

Nope. I'll email them back today and see if they can give me an update. My guess is it's probably not a priority issue (if I'm the first one that brought it to their attention) and we'd have to wait for the next firmware update anyways.

Our parking signs here in the states is similar to that, but red lettering on a white background. I'll play around with it tonight if I have time.

I think the "P" in our Parking allowed signs is green, isn't it? And red is for no parking? Not like it really makes a difference on the GPSr screen....

Either way, a large "P" icon would be easier to see than the little yellow car icon, regardless of color. The blue/white one that was posted would work well. That car is pretty tough to see.

I think the "P" in our Parking allowed signs is green, isn't it? And red is for no parking? Not like it really makes a difference on the GPSr screen....

Either way, a large "P" icon would be easier to see than the little yellow car icon, regardless of color. The blue/white one that was posted would work well. That car is pretty tough to see.

I believe you are correct, sir. I guess I'm just used to all the "no parking" signs that are everywhere, but I think parking garages and lots have a white P on a green background. I'll make one tonight. The green on ours and the blue Denmark one should be pretty indiscernable once on the unit.

Any other requests? I think the only other one that's "iffy" is the trailhead one, but I think it works ok as-is.

Edited by ThePropers

That's great....and typical of me making everything harder than it has to be. :D

Can you explain that a bit further or in more detail though, please? I'm not sure which folder I need to put these images into or what they need to be named.

Just put the text file I posted into the \program files\gsak directory. This will add the 24 custom icons to the icon list in GSAK

Then on the GPS Send Page:

gsakgpsrn9.jpg

Save your settings and from that point on, all the Caches you upload to your GPS using GSAK will have the proper icons attached.

i follow all the instructions...but i dont understand how the above picture works...i mean in the program GSAK...what am i suppose to do? i am confused very much

i understand and able to follow all these instructions...but dont know how to work in GSAK...changing the thing around to match....i am confused...i cant explain it

This is my first attempt at an how-to guide for those of you who may want to see the geocaching symbols on your 60CSx instead of the standard Closed/Open Treasure chests.

As with anything, you will gain some functionality, and lose some functionality. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm going to keep using this, but since I went through the trouble of figuring it out, I might as well post it here. This is derived from info from several websites and several forum threads, but accumulated here along with step by step instructions (credits at bottom)

Here are some photos of the screens with the symbols in action:

1) The Map Screen

Map.jpg

2) List of Nearest Caches

NearestCaches.jpg

3) Cache Details Screen

CacheDetails.jpg

Pros:

- You get the symbols to aid in quickly identifying caches when viewing nearest or while traveling down the road watching the map

- If you are using GSAK to include a "Cache Type" identifier in the name or notes, it frees up that space for other information.

Cons:

- Loss of the "geocaching" mode functions.

---- "quick find" functionality Can overcome by simply switching the symbol when you find it

---- "Find Next Nearest" functionality.Can overcome by just bringing up closest waypoints again

Here are the steps.

Required Software/Downloads:

1. xImage
  2. GSAK
  3. Geocaching Symbols

Upload symbols to GPSr:

1. Unzip the .bmp files in the New Symbols .zip file you downloaded to a temporary folder.
  2. Connect GPSr and turn it on
  3. Open xImage
  4. Click "next"
  5. After it finds the GPSr, click "next"
  6. Click on "Send Images to the GPS"
  7. Click on "Select All"
  8. Click "next"
  9. Navigate to the folder with the symbols
  10. Click on finish
  11. On GPSr, open any waypoint (or create a new one)
  12. highlight the symbol (upper left of screen) and click on "enter"
  13. You should see all the new geocaching icons in the "Custom" section.

Set up GSAK:

1. Open up Notepad and paste the following into it:
    Custom 0 ; Traditional
    Custom 1 ; Traditional Found
    Custom 2 ; Traditional Archived
    Custom 3 ; Multi
    Custom 4 ; Multi Found
    Custom 5 ; Multi Archived
    Custom 6 ; Virtual
    Custom 7 ; Virtual Found
    Custom 8 ; Virtual Archived
    Custom 9 ; Letterbox
    Custom 10 ; Letterbox Found
    Custom 11 ; Letterbox Archived
    Custom 12 ; Event
    Custom 13 ; Event Found
    Custom 14 ; Event Archived
    Custom 15 ; Webcam
    Custom 16 ; Webcam Found
    Custom 17 ; Webcam Archived
    Custom 18 ; Mystery
    Custom 19 ; Mystery Found
    Custom 20 ; Mystery Archived
    Custom 21 ; Locationless
    Custom 22 ; Locationless Found
    Custom 23 ; Locationless Archived
  2. Save this file as GARMINOTHER.txt into the GSAK program directory (default is c:\Program Files\GSAK\)
  3. Open GSAK
  4. Click on GPS -> Send Waypoints
  5. Click on the Change button
  6. Check the "Combine Both" Radio Button
  7. In the right-hand list of cache types, select "Traditional+Found"
  8. In the "Icon" pulldown, select "Custom 1; Traditional Found"
  9. Repeat for each cache type in the right-hand list of cache types.

Credits:

Right Wing Wacko for pointing out a simpler way than my original instructions

Question #9 of the 60CS FAQ:

This xImage thread.

TheOfficeMaven for designing the symbols

Just put the text file I posted into the \program files\gsak directory. This will add the 24 custom icons to the icon list in GSAK

Then on the GPS Send Page:

gsakgpsrn9.jpg

Save your settings and from that point on, all the Caches you upload to your GPS using GSAK will have the proper icons attached.

i follow all the instructions...but i dont understand how the above picture works...i mean in the program GSAK...what am i suppose to do? i am confused very much

I am working on a definitive how-to-guide, but for now, are you at that screen? If not, open GSAK and go to GPS-> Send Waypoints. From there, click on the "Change" button and you'll be there.

Then, do this using the boxes on the left hand side:

1. Select the Cache Type (i.e. Traditional/Multi...etc)
  2. Select the Status (i.e. Found/Not Found/Placed/Archived)
  3. Select the Icon, using the custom symbols. For example, a Traditional Not Found would be set as as Custom 1; Traditional
  4. Repeat for each Cache Type, using the appropriate icon for each.
  5. Set up the Child Waypoint symbols the same way, but you need to click on the "Child Waypoints" tab across the top of that window.

After you have it all setup (you only have to do it once), then just click on "Send" to send them over to your GPS. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Here is a new zip file with the Parking sign. I left it green since that's how it is in the States: 004.jpg

I am working on a guide that will be easier to keep up to date. When I am done with it, I'll have this thread closed and open a new one that points to it. Look for that in the next couple of days.

Edited by ThePropers

Here is a new zip file with the Parking sign. I left it green since that's how it is in the States.

Of course you did :D but changing the color on the sign in MS Paint is just about on my skill level, so now i have the blue sign: parking.gif:D

ProsperoDK/René

I toyed with saying something stereotypically arrogant, like "USA! USA!" when I posted that, but decided not to.

I'm also going to add the blue parking symbol to my zip file in the Bonus Symbols folder.

Edited by ThePropers

Nice job!

The FQ looks great. It took me just a bit to notice the "Download File" link was at the top of the page. I was looking for a link within the context of the FAQ.

The only other confusing piece is which icon to assign to "Other" cache type. For benchmarks I just used "Reference Point".

Thanks for your work on this. You have improved my caching experience with my new 60CSx - should'a been built into the unit to start with!! :laughing:

Edited by markp99

This is my first attempt at an how-to guide for those of you who may want to see the geocaching symbols on your 60CSx instead of the standard Closed/Open Treasure chests.

As with anything, you will gain some functionality, and lose some functionality. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm going to keep using this, but since I went through the trouble of figuring it out, I might as well post it here. This is derived from info from several websites and several forum threads, but accumulated here along with step by step instructions (credits at bottom)

Here are some photos of the screens with the symbols in action:

1) The Map Screen

Map.jpg

2) List of Nearest Caches

NearestCaches.jpg

3) Cache Details Screen

CacheDetails.jpg

Pros:

- You get the symbols to aid in quickly identifying caches when viewing nearest or while traveling down the road watching the map

- If you are using GSAK to include a "Cache Type" identifier in the name or notes, it frees up that space for other information.

Cons:

- Loss of the "geocaching" mode functions.

---- "quick find" functionality Can overcome by simply switching the symbol when you find it

---- "Find Next Nearest" functionality.Can overcome by just bringing up closest waypoints again

Here are the steps.

Required Software/Downloads:

1. xImage
  2. GSAK
  3. Geocaching Symbols

Upload symbols to GPSr:

1. Unzip the .bmp files in the New Symbols .zip file you downloaded to a temporary folder.
  2. Connect GPSr and turn it on
  3. Open xImage
  4. Click "next"
  5. After it finds the GPSr, click "next"
  6. Click on "Send Images to the GPS"
  7. Click on "Select All"
  8. Click "next"
  9. Navigate to the folder with the symbols
  10. Click on finish
  11. On GPSr, open any waypoint (or create a new one)
  12. highlight the symbol (upper left of screen) and click on "enter"
  13. You should see all the new geocaching icons in the "Custom" section.

Set up GSAK:

1. Open up Notepad and paste the following into it:
    Custom 0 ; Traditional
    Custom 1 ; Traditional Found
    Custom 2 ; Traditional Archived
    Custom 3 ; Multi
    Custom 4 ; Multi Found
    Custom 5 ; Multi Archived
    Custom 6 ; Virtual
    Custom 7 ; Virtual Found
    Custom 8 ; Virtual Archived
    Custom 9 ; Letterbox
    Custom 10 ; Letterbox Found
    Custom 11 ; Letterbox Archived
    Custom 12 ; Event
    Custom 13 ; Event Found
    Custom 14 ; Event Archived
    Custom 15 ; Webcam
    Custom 16 ; Webcam Found
    Custom 17 ; Webcam Archived
    Custom 18 ; Mystery
    Custom 19 ; Mystery Found
    Custom 20 ; Mystery Archived
    Custom 21 ; Locationless
    Custom 22 ; Locationless Found
    Custom 23 ; Locationless Archived
  2. Save this file as GARMINOTHER.txt into the GSAK program directory (default is c:\Program Files\GSAK\)
  3. Open GSAK
  4. Click on GPS -> Send Waypoints
  5. Click on the Change button
  6. Check the "Combine Both" Radio Button
  7. In the right-hand list of cache types, select "Traditional+Found"
  8. In the "Icon" pulldown, select "Custom 1; Traditional Found"
  9. Repeat for each cache type in the right-hand list of cache types.

Credits:

Right Wing Wacko for pointing out a simpler way than my original instructions

Question #9 of the 60CS FAQ:

This xImage thread.

TheOfficeMaven for designing the symbols

Bingo Bango Bongo!! Thanks for making this one easy :o

I completed the Reference Guide for this, and it can be found here:

That will be much easier to keep up to date, and contains all/most of the information in this thread. I have opened a new thread since all of this info is so buried, and that can be found here.

Can we get this thread closed?

Again, please refer to the above guide from now on. Still trying to get this thread closed...

OK, I went and added the new Icons, and hate them. How do I get rid of the custom icons in my Garmin 60CSx now?

I tried to reset defaults and nothing happend.

Almost didn't see this since this is an old thread not on my watchlist anymore.

Well, you'd just have to switch GSAK back to not use them again. If you want to get rid of them in the GPS, you'll have to copy and rename one of the default "blue circle" icons several times (naming it waypoint symbol 000.bmp, Waypoint Symbol 001.bmp...etc) and upload them to overwrite the custom ones. Soon you'll be caching again with every cache designated by the same symbol, regardless of cache type.

Curious what you don't like about them though, especially since the writeup with screenshots is pretty straightforward about the pros/cons.