Geocaching symbols on a 60CSx

ThePropers

This is my first attempt at an how-to guide for those of you who may want to see the geocaching symbols on your 60CSx instead of the standard Closed/Open Treasure chests.

As with anything, you will gain some functionality, and lose some functionality. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm going to keep using this, but since I went through the trouble of figuring it out, I might as well post it here. This is derived from info from several websites and several forum threads, but accumulated here along with step by step instructions (credits at bottom)

Here are some photos of the screens with the symbols in action:

1) The Map Screen

Map.jpg

2) List of Nearest Caches

NearestCaches.jpg

3) Cache Details Screen

CacheDetails.jpg

Pros:

- You get the symbols to aid in quickly identifying caches when viewing nearest or while traveling down the road watching the map

- If you are using GSAK to include a "Cache Type" identifier in the name or notes, it frees up that space for other information.

Cons:

- Loss of the "geocaching" mode functions.

---- "quick find" functionality Can overcome by simply switching the symbol when you find it

---- "Find Next Nearest" functionality.Can overcome by just bringing up closest waypoints again

Here are the steps.

Required Software/Downloads:

1. xImage
  2. GSAK
  3. Geocaching Symbols

Upload symbols to GPSr:

1. Unzip the .bmp files in the New Symbols .zip file you downloaded to a temporary folder.
  2. Connect GPSr and turn it on
  3. Open xImage
  4. Click "next"
  5. After it finds the GPSr, click "next"
  6. Click on "Send Images to the GPS"
  7. Click on "Select All"
  8. Click "next"
  9. Navigate to the folder with the symbols
  10. Click on finish
  11. On GPSr, open any waypoint (or create a new one)
  12. highlight the symbol (upper left of screen) and click on "enter"
  13. You should see all the new geocaching icons in the "Custom" section.

Set up GSAK:

1. Open up Notepad and paste the following into it:
    Custom 0 ; Traditional
    Custom 1 ; Traditional Found
    Custom 2 ; Traditional Archived
    Custom 3 ; Multi
    Custom 4 ; Multi Found
    Custom 5 ; Multi Archived
    Custom 6 ; Virtual
    Custom 7 ; Virtual Found
    Custom 8 ; Virtual Archived
    Custom 9 ; Letterbox
    Custom 10 ; Letterbox Found
    Custom 11 ; Letterbox Archived
    Custom 12 ; Event
    Custom 13 ; Event Found
    Custom 14 ; Event Archived
    Custom 15 ; Webcam
    Custom 16 ; Webcam Found
    Custom 17 ; Webcam Archived
    Custom 18 ; Mystery
    Custom 19 ; Mystery Found
    Custom 20 ; Mystery Archived
    Custom 21 ; Locationless
    Custom 22 ; Locationless Found
    Custom 23 ; Locationless Archived
  2. Save this file as GARMINOTHER.txt into the GSAK program directory (default is c:\Program Files\GSAK\)
  3. Open GSAK
  4. Click on GPS -> Send Waypoints
  5. Click on the Change button
  6. Check the "Combine Both" Radio Button
  7. In the right-hand list of cache types, select "Traditional+Found"
  8. In the "Icon" pulldown, select "Custom 1; Traditional Found"
  9. Repeat for each cache type in the right-hand list of cache types.

Credits:

Right Wing Wacko for pointing out a simpler way than my original instructions

Question #9 of the 60CS FAQ:

This xImage thread.

TheOfficeMaven for designing the symbols

Edited by ThePropers

Or to skip a couple steps and make it a bit easier... and totaly eliminate the need to use Mapsourse:

Put the Following file in your GSAK program directory

GARMINOTHER.TXT

Custom 0 ; Traditional

Custom 3 ; Multi

Custom 4 ; Multi Found

Custom 6 ; Virtual

Custom 7 ; Virtual Found

Custom 9 ; Letterbox

Custom 12 ; Event

Custom 13 ; Event Found

Custom 15 ; Webcam

Custom 16 ; Webcam Found

Custom 17 ; Webcam Archived

Custom 18 ; Mystery

Custom 21 ; Locationless

Custom 22 ; Locationless Found

Custom 23 ; Locationless Archived

Then on the GPS Send screen, make the appropriate changes to the Icon Selections by cache type / status

That's great....and typical of me making everything harder than it has to be. :laughing:

Can you explain that a bit further or in more detail though, please? I'm not sure which folder I need to put these images into or what they need to be named.

Just put the text file I posted into the \program files\gsak directory. This will add the 24 custom icons to the icon list in GSAK

Then on the GPS Send Page:

gsakgpsrn9.jpg

Save your settings and from that point on, all the Caches you upload to your GPS using GSAK will have the proper icons attached.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

If there is any interest in using these, I am going to work on replacing the now-extinct locationless symbols with earth cache symbols (Earth caches are apparently back, I guess). For now I'm just assigning the Earth Caches with the locationless symbols, which is fine, but I'm a stickler for details.

I'll post a link to the new .zip file when I'm done sometime later today or tomorrow.

Edited by ThePropers

I've done everything listed above but my GSAK screen looks different than Right Wing Wacko shows

Traditional+Found=Custom 1 ; Traditional Found and mine shows Traditional+Found=Airport what am I doing wrong? I've copied the GARMINOTHER.txt file to the GSAK directory

66936910.jpg

Jim,

One more step.

Select the items in the list at the right one-by-one. Assign the correct icon to each one (dropdown list).

Example:

The first item in the list (in your screenshot) = "Traditional-Found", assign icon "Custom1"

Reapeat for each

Goos luck!

Jim,

One more step.

Select the items in the list at the right one-by-one. Assign the correct icon to each one (dropdown list).

Example:

The first item in the list (in your screenshot) = "Traditional-Found", assign icon "Custom1"

Reapeat for each

Goos luck!

Ah ok, now I got it. Thanks markp99

Couple of more question... How many Custom Icons can you load into the 60CSx ? Is there a limit ?

If you don't like the Custom Icons can you delete them ? If so how?

Thanks

Jim W

It looks like you can assign 24 (hence the 000-023 images in that zip file). My GPSr shows no more open slots, but there are several icons you could replace (like the locationless and the webcams, which don't exist anymore). I also don't typically load caches I've already found, or archived ones, so you could free up those spots. If you then "find" a cache, you can switch the icon back to Garmin's open treasure chest.

I don't believe that you can delete an icon, but you can overwrite them just by replacing it (naming it 000, 001...or 023.bmp and re-uploading it with xImage). The default custom icon is just a blue circle (used as a blank placeholder).

I have also updated the directions in the OP to include more specific instructions from markp99 on changing the icons in GSAK.

Thanks everyone for your input. I hope someone finds this useful.

Edited by ThePropers

Couple of more question... How many Custom Icons can you load into the 60CSx ? Is there a limit ?

If you don't like the Custom Icons can you delete them ? If so how?

Thanks

Jim W

It looks like you can assign 24 (hence the 000-023 images in that zip file). My GPSr shows no more open slots, but there are several icons you could replace (like the locationless and the webcams, which don't exist anymore). I also don't typically load caches I've already found, or archived ones, so you could free up those spots. If you then "find" a cache, you can switch the icon back to Garmin's open treasure chest.

I don't believe that you can delete an icon, but you can overwrite them just by replacing it (naming it 000, 001...or 023.bmp and re-uploading it with xImage). The default custom icon is just a blue circle (used as a blank placeholder).

I have also updated the directions in the OP to include more specific instructions from markp99 on changing the icons in GSAK.

Thanks everyone for your input. I hope someone finds this useful.

Thanks ThePropers, if I detete all the archived .bmp, and the locationless and webcams .bmp and renumber them 000-011 do I have to do the samething to the GARMINOTHER.txt file ?

Custom 0 ; Traditional

Custom 2 ; Multi

Custom 3 ; Multi Found

Custom 4 ; Virtual

Custom 5 ; Virtual Found

Custom 6 ; Letterbox

Custom 7 ; Letterbox Found

Custom 8 ; Event

Custom 9 ; Event Found

Custom 10 ; Mystery

Custom 11 ; Mystery Found

Edited by Jim W

Yes, you have it.

The part behind the ";" is the description that shows up in GSAK.

So you can easily make 012.bmp be an earthcache icon, and then put in

Custom 12 ; Earthcache

As long as the text file lines up with the icons (so the descriptions match up with what the icon represents), you're good to go. I am going to wait on creating/removing icons until the final word on Earthcaches come down from TPTB.

Edited by ThePropers

This will be obvious to most of you, but for those newbies or non-techies, the cache name and note fields in my image are set up as follows:

CacheDetails.jpg

To do this, in GSAK

1. Go to GPS -> Send Waypoints
  2. Put the following string in the "You can build the waypoint name using tags" box
    %smart=14
  3. Enter 14 in the "Maximum Characters" box
  4. Enter %Dif/%Ter Con:%con1 Bug:%bug=YN %By in the "Waypoint Description Format" box

That corresponds (in the picture) to Terrain/Difficulty 2/1.5, Container is U for Unknown, there are no travel bugs, and the hider is CCCooperAgen. The username gets truncated after 12 characters, but most are smaller than that. In this case I know CCCooperAgency hid it.

I am still playing around with how I want the Notes field to look, but that's what it's at now. I was going to put the hint in there, but figured it would be too easy to see it by accident, when I try to avoid using the hint if I can. Anyways, I have the PDA for any additional info I might want (including hints).

Edited by ThePropers

I have created another zip file of custom symbols.

This adds 3 Earthcache symbols which replace the locationless symbols, and 3 Child Waypoint symbols (Parking, Trailhead, and Reference Point) that replace the webcam symbols. Keep in mind you can mix and match the symbols to create your own set by just renumbering them and then reassigning them in GSAK.

To use the child waypoint symbols in GSAK, you need to assign them under a different tab than the normal caches:

1. Click on "GPS -> Send Waypoints"
  2. Click on the "Change" button
  3. Click on the "Child Waypoints" tab

PLEASE NOTE: For now there seems to be a bug in GSAK where any symbols that you wish to assign to child waypoints need to be called 000.bmp - 018.bmp. Anything between 019 and 023.bmp don't seem to work. See this thread at the GSAK support forum for more details.

Download the new zip file by clicking here

Here is the custom waypoint screen:

SymbolsNewA.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the child waypoints in action (the UhOReviewer cache contains 2 child waypoints - a Reference Point and Parking):

GoodChildren.jpg

Finally, here is my GARMINOTHER.txt file. Again, keep in mind that for now the child waypoint icons must be between 0 and 18 in this file:

Custom 0 ; Traditional

Custom 3 ; Multi

Custom 4 ; Multi Found

Custom 6 ; Virtual

Custom 7 ; Virtual Found

Custom 9 ; Letterbox

Custom 12 ; Event

Custom 13 ; Event Found

Custom 15 ; Parking

Custom 16 ; Trailhead

Custom 17 ; Reference

Custom 18 ; Mystery

Custom 21 ; Earthcache

Custom 22 ; Earthcache Found

Custom 23 ; Earthcache Archived

BTW, I promise that tomorrow I will actually go find a cache with my new GPSr....won't that be a treat? I think I just about have it all configured the way I want now.

Edited by ThePropers

Well, it does appear like there's a firmware issue with the 60CSx and custom waypoints 19-23 won't work. I am calling Garmin about it either tomorrow or the next day, depending on my schedule.

I did make up a new set of custom waypoints which I think I like better, and only use the first 19 (000 - 018).

Before I make them available for download, I'd like any suggestions you guys have, as far as the order or any design issues.

I grabbed most of these from the website, but had to tweak a couple because they didn't show up that great on the unit.

Symbols3.jpg

Row 1

1. Found
  2. DNF
  3. Traditional
  4. Multi
  5. Mystery
  6. Letterbox

Row 2

1. Owned
  2. Archived
  3. Earthcache
  4. Virtual
  5. Webcam
  6. Event

Row 3

1. Child Waypoint- Parking
  2. Child Waypoint- Trailhead
  3. Child Waypoint- Reference Point
  4. Child Waypoint- Stage of Multicache
  5. Child Waypoint- Final
  6. CITO Event

Row 4

1. Child Waypoint- Question to Answer
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. n/a
  5. n/a
  6. n/a

What do you think?

Maybe someone else with a 60cx or 60csx can help me. I have been using custom icons with gsak and my legend C for awhile. When I started using my custom icons in my 60cx I ran into an issue. I have all the "cache type icons" installed and can see them fine BUT if I try to use the checked mystery cache it just defaults to the blue flag marker icon. The icon that won't work in the 60cx works fine in the legendC, I can't send from gsak with that icon or manually use that icon.

If it makes any difference I have that icon in the bottom row second from the left.

edit:

OK I READ THE ABOVE COMMENT AND SEE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE........ I emailed garmin about my issues but never heard anything back.

Edited by hogrod

Well, it does appear like there's a firmware issue with the 60CSx and custom waypoints 19-23 won't work.

After further testing it appears that its only custom icon 20 & 21 that don't work for me. I am running the most current firmware.

That's weird. None of them above 18 work for me. Maybe a difference between the CX and CSx.

I'll try to call them tomorrow and see if I can get ahold of someone. Not sure if I'll actually have time to sit on hold though. The last time I called it was 35-40 minute estimated wait.

Well, it does appear like there's a firmware issue with the 60CSx and custom waypoints 19-23 won't work. I am calling Garmin about it either tomorrow or the next day, depending on my schedule.

I did make up a new set of custom waypoints which I think I like better, and only use the first 19 (000 - 018).

Before I make them available for download, I'd like any suggestions you guys have, as far as the order or any design issues.

I grabbed most of these from the website, but had to tweak a couple because they didn't show up that great on the unit.

Symbols3.jpg

What do you think?

I think they look great and whould love to get a zip file with them and the GarminOther.txt file. I like that you completed the icons for Child WP's.

I was the one that on the GSAK forum replied to your thread with my test of your icons and some other icons as well, and could confirm the problems with custom icon 19-23.

If I should change the order then I would put the found, dnf, owned, archived in coloumn 1, then a group of 3*3 with the 9 WP icons in coloumn 2-4 and then a group of 2*3 with the 6 Child icons in coloumn 5-6. Then you have them grouped together, yet can easily change the icon from a WP icon to a found or DNF icon with not to many moves of the cursor on the GPSr screen.

ProsperoDK/René

I think they look great and whould love to get a zip file with them and the GarminOther.txt file. I like that you completed the icons for Child WP's.

I was the one that on the GSAK forum replied to your thread with my test of your icons and some other icons as well, and could confirm the problems with custom icon 19-23.

If I should change the order then I would put the found, dnf, owned, archived in coloumn 1, then a group of 3*3 with the 9 WP icons in coloumn 2-4 and then a group of 2*3 with the 6 Child icons in coloumn 5-6. Then you have them grouped together, yet can easily change the icon from a WP icon to a found or DNF icon with not to many moves of the cursor on the GPSr screen.

ProsperoDK/René

That grouping sounds much better (why didn't I think of that?). I will work on it just a bit later today and then post it all here. Thanks for your input.

Actually, I think the only symbol that doesn't match geocaching.com's symbol is the "child waypoint - question to answer" one (the puzzle piece). You just couldn't tell what the one GC.com uses is when you put it into the unit.

Anyways, Look for the new .zip file later.

Edited by ThePropers

Actually, I think the only symbol that doesn't match geocaching.com's symbol is the "child waypoint - question to answer" one (the puzzle piece). You just couldn't tell what the one GC.com uses is when you put it into the unit.

Anyways, Look for the new .zip file later.

Yes, that little green puzzle piece is hard to see.

I'm looking forward to the zip-file.

Then I can make the danish guide to my fellow geocacher who saw the icons on my GPSr this weekend and would like them on his too.

ProsperoDK/René

I'm seeing some inconsistent abbreviations applied to my cache name waypoints. Dropping vowels. Seems like this will cause an issue when I attempt to find a cache by name.

I am guessing the %smart tag is just being too "smart":D

Here's what I see:

abbv.jpg

Note that "Nashua" is abbv on one cache, but not another.

I tried changing the waypoint tag with %name, but I get an err msg.

Any ideas how to correct?

Mark

Edited by markp99

I'm seeing some inconsistent abbreviations applied to my cache name waypoints. Dropping vowels. Seems like this will cause an issue when I attempt to find a cache by name.

I am guessing the %smart tag is just being too "smart":D

Here's what I see:

abbv.jpg

Note that "Nashua" is abbv on one cache, but not another.

I tried changing the waypoint tag with %name, but I get an err msg.

Any ideas how to correct?

Mark

Try a couple things. My guess is you're sending too many characters to the GPS (it will only allow 14 characters), so it's doing it's best to avoid duplicate names.

1) In GSAK, go to Tools -> Options -> General and make sure your smart name length is set to either 13 (if you're also sending child waypoints) or 14 (if you're not). If it's set to something higher, it would probably exhibit this behavior. Putting 13 characters here allows Child waypoints to have an additional identifier (it tags A, B, C...etc into the 14th character)

2) In GSAK, go to GPS->Send Waypoints and make sure the Maximum Characters field is set at 14 (regardless of if you're sending child waypoints or not).

Let me know if that helps.

Also, I'm done with the new symbols, but need to upload them when I get home.

Edited by ThePropers

Ok, here are the "final" symbols I've made. I tried to group the more popular cache types closer to the "found" symbol. Let me know what you think.

SymbolsNewFINAL1.jpg

Row 1: Found, Traditional, Multi, Mystery, Parking (child waypoint), Trailhead (child waypoint)

Row 2: DNF, Virtual, Letterbox, Earthcache, Reference Point (child waypoint), Question to Answer (child waypoint)

Row 3: Owned, Webcam, Event, CITO, Stage of multi (child waypoint), Final (child waypoint)

Row 4: Archived (the rest aren't used)

Click here for the .zip

Here is the GARMINOTHER.txt file

Custom 0 ; Found

Custom 1 ; Traditional

Custom 2 ; Multi

Custom 3 ; Mystery

Custom 4 ; Parking

Custom 5 ; Trailhead

Custom 6 ; Not Found

Custom 7 ; Virtual

Custom 8 ; Letterbox

Custom 9 ; Earthcache

Custom 10 ; Reference Point

Custom 11 ; Question to Answer

Custom 12 ; Owned

Custom 13 ; Webcam

Custom 14 ; Event

Custom 15 ; CITO

Custom 16 ; Stage of Multi

Custom 17 ; Final Stage

Custom 18 ; Archived

Custom 19 ; n/a

Custom 20 ; n/a

Custom 21 ; n/a

Custom 22 ; n/a

Custom 23 ; n/a

Also, I tried to get ahold of Garmin today about the remaining custom icons in the bottom row not working. After being on hold for 35 minutes, I figured I might be able to run to the restroom really quick, but of course they must've answered in the 1 minute I was gone and I was disconnected when I got back. D'oh!

Edited by ThePropers

Worked like a charm! Very cool! 07.gif

I'd be curious to see if you're also seeing issues with the 19-23 custom symbols (the blue dots) not working on the CS. If you don't mind, can you try to mark a new waypoint, and then switching it to icon 19 (the first blue dot) and see what happens?

On the 60CSx, it will go back to the blue flag.

If that works, can you try the other blue dots and see what happens? The first blue dot is 19, the next one 20..and so on, up to 23. Let me know which ones work. Thanks!

If those customs would work, we could add more symbols. Not sure what I'd want in there, but we could make up a benchmark and broken benchmark. We'd still have 3 left though. Maybe a "took bug" and "left bug" symbol? Just throwing out some ideas.

Suggestions are welcome! But first I need to get ahold of Garmin to see why they don't work...

Edited by ThePropers

Ok, here are the "final" symbols I've made. I tried to group the more popular cache types closer to the "found" symbol. Let me know what you think.

SymbolsNewFINAL1.jpg

Row 1: Found, Traditional, Multi, Mystery, Parking (child waypoint), Trailhead (child waypoint)

Row 2: DNF, Virtual, Letterbox, Earthcache, Reference Point (child waypoint), Question to Answer (child waypoint)

Row 3: Owned, Webcam, Event, CITO, Stage of multi (child waypoint), Final (child waypoint)

Row 4: Archived (the rest aren't used)

This looks great, exactly the way I would have placed them.

And they look fine on the screen too.

I'm working on a macro for GSAK to export all the different caches in my database to CSV-files for the POIloader, then I can use these icons there too.

Also, I tried to get ahold of Garmin today about the remaining custom icons in the bottom row not working. After being on hold for 35 minutes, I figured I might be able to run to the restroom really quick, but of course they must've answered in the 1 minute I was gone and I was disconnected when I got back. D'oh!

That's Murphy's law to you. :(

I hope you get through to them and can report back some positive response from them.

ProsperoDK/René

I'm working on a macro for GSAK to export all the different caches in my database to CSV-files for the POIloader, then I can use these icons there too.

Let us know when that's ready. I'm not a macro person, but if I could use the symbols in the POILoader, it would be ideal.

Will do, I'll also place it in the macro library on the GSAK forum when I'm satisfied with it.

But there's still the problem that the magenta color that's transparent when using them as custom icons shows up as magenta when using them as icons for POI's :(

ProsperoDK/René

Let us know when that's ready. I'm not a macro person, but if I could use the symbols in the POILoader, it would be ideal.

Will do, I'll also place it in the macro library on the GSAK forum when I'm satisfied with it.

But there's still the problem that the magenta color that's transparent when using them as custom icons shows up as magenta when using them as icons for POI's :(

ProsperoDK/René

Hmmm...I wonder what the transparent color for POIs is. Easy enough to edit the image if I knew what it was. Do you have an icon for POIs that does show up transparent? Or we could change them to white backgrounds...

Hmmm...I wonder what the transparent color for POIs is. Easy enough to edit the image if I knew what it was. Do you have an icon for POIs that does show up transparent? Or we could change them to white backgrounds...

To the best of my knowledge it should be the same transparent color for POI icons as for custom icons, and I think it works on other units that accepts POI's.

ProsperoDK/René

I haven't heard anything from Garmin, but I just borrowed my friend's CX, and symbols 19-23 behaves the same way as my CSx.

Earlier in the thread, Team Perrito Blanco said the CS works though.

Strange happenings in Garmin land.

all the custom icons work fine in my legendC, I am just having issues with my 60cx. I think its just an issue with the newer X models. I would be nice to see if the newer vista CX or legendCX also have the issue.

Edited by hogrod

The symbols work great just two more questions:

1. How can one use these on and with Mapsource? When I used the export to Mapsource from GSAK and I changed the icons as with the GPS send, the icons on Mapsource turned to small black boxes for all of the caches.

2. Is there anyway to apply these symbols to the custom POIs loaded on the GPS through POI Loader?

Thanks for the great work on this.

Ok, I sent the latest file (this one) to Garmin, and this is what I got back. I do not have my GPS here at work today, but I am sure they are mistaken. Can someone please check to see if what they are telling me is true?

Thank you for contacting Garmin. I renamed a few of your bitmap images and they loaded correctly as custom waypoints number 22 and 23. I believe the problem is specific to those last five custom waypoints. I renamed Waypoint Symbol 023 to Waypoint Symbol 004 and it still would not load properly. I also went in and renamed Waypoint Symbol 0004 to Waypoint Symbol 023 and it did load properly. I'll forward your waypoints along with this email to the engineers to see if we can figure out what is wrong with those bitmap images. It may be a couple of days before I have results for you.

That doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by ThePropers

Ok, I sent the latest file (this one) to Garmin, and this is what I got back. I do not have my GPS here at work today, but I am sure they are mistaken. Can someone please check to see if what they are telling me is true?

Thank you for contacting Garmin. I renamed a few of your bitmap images and they loaded correctly as custom waypoints number 22 and 23. I believe the problem is specific to those last five custom waypoints. I renamed Waypoint Symbol 023 to Waypoint Symbol 004 and it still would not load properly. I also went in and renamed Waypoint Symbol 0004 to Waypoint Symbol 023 and it did load properly. I'll forward your waypoints along with this email to the engineers to see if we can figure out what is wrong with those bitmap images. It may be a couple of days before I have results for you.

That doesn't make sense to me.

There was never any question if they loaded correctly, they did and we could see them on the "waypoint symbols"-screen but when transferring WP marked with that symbol or changing an existing WP's symbol to one of the last five they reverted back to the default blue flag.

I hope that is what you explained to him.

I just did the renaming that the tech tried and can see the icon but not assign it to a WP.

ProsperoDK/René

There was never any question if they loaded correctly, they did and we could see them on the "waypoint symbols"-screen but when transferring WP marked with that symbol or changing an existing WP's symbol to one of the last five they reverted back to the default blue flag.

I hope that is what you explained to him.

I just did the renaming that the tech tried and can see the icon but not assign it to a WP.

ProsperoDK/René

I just got off the phone with them again and walked them through it. He thought the "blue dots" where actually errors....so he'd raname them and repload them, and the blue dot would show up somewhere else, so he didn't think the image was working. Guess he thought the blue dot was a "broken image" picture.

But whatever...he definitely understands now. He's taking it over to their engineers to look at.

1. How can one use these on and with Mapsource? When I used the export to Mapsource from GSAK and I changed the icons as with the GPS send, the icons on Mapsource turned to small black boxes for all of the caches.

I never found an answer to this question. I'm having the same problem and would also like the new icons on mapsource. Does anyone know how to do it.?

I never found an answer to this question. I'm having the same problem and would also like the new icons on mapsource. Does anyone know how to do it.?

You sure can! Here's the step-by-step.

1. Make sure you have the latest version of mapsource.
  2. If you haven't already, download the file containing the custom waypoints.
  3. Unzip the file into the My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols\ directory
  4. You need to rename each file from "Waypoint Symbol ###.bmp" to "###.bmp". I don't know why they need to be named one way for uploading into the GPSr and another for Mapsource, but they do.
  5. Open GSAK and go to Export -> Mapsource File
  6. Perform the mappings of the custom symbols to the cache types just like you did when you sent them to the GPSr.
  7. Make sure you select "6 - GDB" in the MapSource Version box.
  8. Export the file.
  9. Open the new .gdb file in Mapsource and you should see the custom icons.

Edited by ThePropers
you can overwrite them just by replacing it (naming it 000, 001...or 023.bmp and re-uploading it with xImage).

I guess I don't get what you mean...I'm sort of computer illiterate. I tried to change the names of the images, and whenever I changed the name it switched to the image that originally had that name. I wanted to get rid of the archived cache icons, and a few other cache types that I don't go to, but it just isn't working. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, can somebody please help?