Price Escalation

wigoweb

Is anyone else surprised by the sudden high prices on eBay?

Jeep'en Jumpers Geocoin Yuma Arizona, item 110031899160, currently has a high bid of $103.51.

Groundspeak Lackey's Geocoin Unactivated, item 140028142681, is up to $152.50 with 10 hour to go on the auction.

I recently started collecting coins, but if all the prices go to this level, I will be out of the hobby real soon. I would like to trade coins and have done a little trading, but I don't really have a stock of coins yet. Buying seems to be the only way to get started.

I searched for the Groundspeak Lackey's coin with google and got no hits except for the eBay listing. Is there someone known as Groundspeak Lackey?

The current bidders don't seem to have many items with their eBay ratings. Is it possible that inexperienced collectors are running the prices up?

Some of those high prices are because those were coins that weren't easy to get.

Just do a search on ebay for the phrase 'geocoin' and I'm sure you will find a lot that you can probably get for well under $10.

Also, there are plenty of sites that sell some coins cheaply.

There are also a lot of nice cachers that may be willing to help you getting started with some coins for trading.

The prices would be higher, if they would ship to Europe too.

But I fell ignored like others from Europe by some auctions, like the Lackey coin.

This coins were only given to US coin collectors!

That is not so fine. :)

I wrote a massege to some of them, but they do not ship outside US. :):D

best regards

Marc

Can't tell you about the first one, but as for the Lackey coin, I believe that you had to have been to headquarters to get it, hence the high price. There are a whole lot of coins giong for much less.

I agree, these are hard to come by and the ones I know of were given as gifts. Just like the moun10bike coins on ebay, I dont understand why someone would want to sell this coin.

To his/hers their own.

Can't tell you about the first one, but as for the Lackey coin, I believe that you had to have been to headquarters to get it, hence the high price. There are a whole lot of coins giong for much less.

Aside from being gifts directly from Groundspeak, they were given out to many attendees of GW4 and MWGB also.

O nice. Maybe at the Geocoin event in vegas too :).

As a side note, don't just look through the listing page that has all the coins and their prices. Many times a coin is being auctioned for some sort of charity and goes higher in price for that purpose.

There are ALOT of coins out there that can be bought for $10.00 or less, I know of one site that now has a bargain bin with coins for $5.00 or less, some were even $3.75. They are trackable geocoins too and can be found here (I'm not entirely sure if I can post that so if it dissapears pm me)

Aside from being gifts directly from Groundspeak, they were given out to many attendees of GW4 and MWGB also.

Given away at MWGB? Where the heck was I?? :)

Given away at MWGB? Where the heck was I?? :)

Playing poker? (The final table got Lackey Coins in the tournament. I don't think they were given out for any other reason.)