City Navigator NA NT v8 Update

Jim W

:laughing:

Has anyone else had problems ordering the update to v8NT?

When I enter my code, I get sent to a page that says:

This Master Coupon Code does not contain any Garmin units that currently have MapSource updates available. Garmin's Automotive MapSource applications are generally updated annually and the Bluechart software is updated twice a year. Please check back periodically to see if MapSource updates are available for your Garmin unit. Click here to return to the Master Coupon Code entry screen.

I even used the "Forgot my Code" button to have it emailed to me--it's the right code, but doesn't work. I have City Navigator NT North America v7 and am trying to get the update to v8 (I bought and unlocked v7 in late June of this year, so I think I'm entitled to a free update).

I've emailed Garmin cartography and am awaiting a reply, but I was wondering if anyone else is having the same experience.

Just in case anyone else has had problems--I contacted Garmin support today and the problem has been taken care of. I've heard great things about their support...and I, too, had a great experience with them. Evidently there was a glitch of some sort on their site, but they took care of it in a few minutes.

Funny you should mention that. I was the kind of the guinea pig to try the Cn8 out on my Nuvi and it worked fine. Garmin says you have to use the upgrade but you dont. Just save the map either on an SD card or on the internal memory. Then you can select to have either 7 or 8 or both.

I might buy a Nuvi 350, if I do I will have to go thru the process at that link to upgrade it to v8? Or will it come with it already?

Also, since the Nuvi has the map built in, will it update without a problem?

Edited by Fhantazm

What does the "NT" indicate?

Just wondering if it is significant, since I may have to adapt this to an older GPS (IQ-3600).

Thanks,

Paul

This FAQ gives a great explanation of the differences between NT and non-NT city navigator:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=141608

Thanks for the link.. been Googling for it for 20 mintues! :blink: Just to clarify for anyone, the NON-NT maps work on all models but the NT maps work on some newer ones. My wife's c320 came with version 6 maps. Instead of getting a free upgrade to version 7, I loaded the non-NT ver. 7 maps from my GPS-V and it worked great. I still have her free update to use and I'm planning on going to version 8 HOPING Garmin will let me use her update to get NON-NT maps. That way, I can use them on both her unit and mine. If they only let me get NT maps, the update will be of use only to her. (Garmin allows upto two devices owned by the same person to be used per copy of MapSource.)