Bluetooth gps

heligator

I have a new XV6700 pda/smartphone from Verizon and would like to get a bluetooth gps for it, definitely using the new sirf3 chipset. Anyone know a good one and some useable software for geocaching?

Ditto - I had a Pocket Copilot I used with Mapopolis but it died on Saturday afternoon (Bluetooth connection but no serial connection - tried two different PDAs).

I have the same phone and have been happy with the GlobalSat BT359 gps module (small, captures fast, long battery life). I use BeeLineGPS for my caching, and use Mapopolis for my street navigation. Both seem to work VERY well. I use GSAK to get my waypoints from Geocaching.com (GPX files) to my phone. I did upgrade the xv6700 firmware to allow the simultaneous use of bluetooth and the phone which the original did not allow.

I've also used the same set up with a Dell Axim x30 PDA...works flawlessly.

Gray

I have a new XV6700 pda/smartphone from Verizon and would like to get a bluetooth gps for it, definitely using the new sirf3 chipset. Anyone know a good one and some useable software for geocaching?

The latest and greatest chipset they are talking about on gpspassion.com is called MTK. MTK is supposed to be more sensitive and lower power than SirfIII. I need a guinea pig to try it out.. HINT.

I bought my old bluetooth gps from Semsons and had good service. They also have packages for PDA/phones. The new MTK GPS Semsons carries.

Edited by John E Cache

I use a Hollux GPSlim 236 BT GPSr. The unit is WAAS enabled but like all SIRF III Chipset recievers the functionality has to be set using external software - most of which does not work at BT connection speeds. In the open where there is a reasonable sky view the unit is great - in deep cover my old Garmin 12 XL is slightly better.

Hi

I use a Holux GPSlim236 and love it. It also functions as a gpsmouse if you can get the cable. Accuracy is said to be 5-25m CEP, but Ive found that it competes well with units rated at 2d 95%rms, including my trustyGarmin GPS60. It uses the SIRF III chipset well, and there is plaenty of free software on the internet that will put it through its paces. One I use is called Sirftech, but be careful, you can change everything (well, probably eveything). Winfast navigator is another good one to put it through its paces, both NMEA and SIRF.

Make sure you set it back to NMEA before you shut it down, as a lot of software will only read NMEA from the device and will seem not to accept data if it is still in SIRF mode. In that case, Ive found it best to run winfast navigator and start it off in SIRF and then change it back to NMEA before starting the piece of software I like to test.

It is a relatively cheap unit and will outperform the globalsat BT388 (or was that 338, I cant rember) but Ive tried them both and got better response times, and TTFF. The accuracies are compatible, and best, It will use a standard Nokia BL5C or slightly bigger (and dearer) BL6C battery, the aftermarket versions of these are so much cheaper! I have a Nokia phone, The Holux and a spare BL5C, and havent managed to run out of battery power yet. It comes with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter too, so its really hard to run out of power.

I hope this helps.

Malcolm