Garmin V

DanFiero

I have a chance to buy a used Garmin GPS V for $120 (maybe a little less---the or best offer thing) and was wondering what you all think of this unit? I do a fair amount of highway driving so I'm sort of looking for a dual purpose unit since a friend at work has intrigued me with the GeoCaching as a hobby for the family.

I know it's not ideal for trail work, but as a beginner I hate to spend a lot of money until I'm sure I'll stick with a new hobby.

This is what the unit looks like (not the exact one I have a chance to get)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-DELUXE-GPS-V-Wa...1QQcmdZViewItem

Any way, thanks for any opinions you can share (good or bad) and also wanted to say I like the site and forums and am looking forward to my first find!!

Dan

Edited by DanFiero

Did it come with CitySelect mapping? (You'll really want it if you plan to use it for routing. )

It's a bit slower than the newer models but I use mine for auto-routing all the time. Works great.

I believe you can get a V with CS for about $200. (and CS goes for $120)

And the V is great for the field too, don't let anybody tell you it ain't.

edit: changed price estimate.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have a Garmin GPSV, loaded with Garmin's Topo Canada software mounted on my ATV, and it works GREAT for me!!!! So don't let anyone tell you it's not good for trails, or Geocaching!

gpsvbike.jpg

I purchased this Factory Overhauled unit in the spring of this year from www.cabellas.com for $199.00 bucks. It came with the City Select software, a PC cable, 12v power cord, auto mount, and all the manuals.

I have owned a GPS V for about five years and it has served me well. Things I like:

Screen faces forward but unit sits flat (it's kind of triangle shaped). I travel on business alot, which is why I got this in the first place, so the orientation is handy when renting cars. I don't have to lug a suction mount in my brief case, the unit sits on the dash ok. I also strap the V under the rigging on my kayak to track distance and pace. The screen faces directly at me and the unit is very stable on the deck.

You can change the screen orientation so you can hold the unit straight up and down while hiking. The unit isn't "lightweight" but perfectly acceptable for hiking and geocaching.

The B/W screen is easy to read, especially in direct sunlight. I keep the backlight on all the time when in the car, even during the day, to help cut glare on the screen.

The unit uses the same HMI that garmin uses on most of their high end handhelds and is fairly intuitive. I read the posts here about the 60C's and it sounds like the same interface, although the 60C has more stuff.

Rugged. I proved it is waterproof when I got pinned on a rock in rapids and we all went for a bumpy swim. I thought the ol' V was a goner but she cranked up just fine. My kids have dropped it on the ground a bunch of times, no sweat.

I get 12 - 15 hours on a set of 4AA rechargeables as long as I keep the back light off. The cigarette lighter power adapter provides continuous power in the car, no batteries required.

What I live with:

It autoroute navigates and is handheld so you can use it in the car or for recreation, which is great. And while it performs both functions, it's not really great at either. This design is a compromise. If you understand that, you will probably be quite happy, otherwise you may be quite frustrated.

It can take a looonnnngggg time to plot a route. Once it has a route, it tends to think you've gotten off route, especially if there is another road parallel or crossing at the oblique. Then it has to recalculate again. It takes a long time to get a lock, although once on the road it holds the signal fine. Since I use this to get me to clients I have not visited before it can be frustrating at times, although it has always (eventually) gotten me to where I needed to go.

The accuracy is not very good when hiking and it tends to lose signal in tree cover. I spend a lot of time holding it over my head when I'm in the woods.

When I bought this five years ago, being able to put 19Meg of detailed maps and POIs on a device that could fit in your hand was unbelieveable. Now, with 1G sim cards ... I can fit most of greater Philadelphia on the unit. Like all GPS units, the base map is worthless.

It takes a long time to download maps, almost an hour for a full 19Meg.

All that said, I have really enjoyed my V. It is a compromise. If road navigation is very important to you, I would spend the money and get a good nav unit and then buy a cheap, used handheld for recreation. If you can accept the limitations and want one unit that can do both, it is a great product.

(I love my V, it's literally been around the world with me).

I would make sure that the used unit you buy comes with the cigarette adapter, serial cable and City Select software WITH the unlock code, (and the dash mount if you can get it). Without these, the unit is not very useful. The unit shipped with all of these in a bundle (the other attraction of the V when I bought it, now Garmin get's you for the software, the mounts ...).

Hope this was helpful. I am going to be upgrading to a 60Cx this fall, but will keep my V for driving and kayaking.

happy wandering!

We've got a Garmin V, and have had it for three years. We use it for routing, and in the field. It works great for both aspects. I really like the part where the screen can change orientation (from horizontal to vertical by just pressing down page, I think). We just got a GPSMap 76 cx and I really miss that part. Also, the "v" shape to the back helped it fit in your palm very neatly. It is still a good unit!

Snip....

I would make sure that the used unit you buy comes with the cigarette adapter, serial cable and City Select software WITH the unlock code, (and the dash mount if you can get it). Without these, the unit is not very useful. The unit shipped with all of these in a bundle (the other attraction of the V when I bought it, now Garmin get's you for the software, the mounts ...).

Yep, look for the term - Auto Package.

By the way, nice post DogFleazJR

Also, the "v" shape to the back helped it fit in your palm very neatly. It is still a good unit!

I had one for 3 years before upgading to the 60CSx and I loved it. However I always found the V shape of it awkward to carry.

Also I've seen these units for 150.00 new including mapping software. You might want to look around.

El Diablo

Mine sold on ebay for $105 including disks for the city select 6 that was with it.

I got less than I planned and would have kept it for that price. They were selling on there for 140 to 150 then.

120 with maps is an OK price I guess.

Also, the "v" shape to the back helped it fit in your palm very neatly. It is still a good unit!

I had one for 3 years before upgading to the 60CSx and I loved it. However I always found the V shape of it awkward to carry.

Also I've seen these units for 150.00 new including mapping software. You might want to look around.

El Diablo

Thanks for all your opinions, it does sound like it would be a good starter unit. The person is willing to take $100 shipped to my house for it and he said it is loaded with the maps, although he didn't say what version it had. Since right now it would be more of a toy and I might use it 2 to 3 times a year for driving and probably more for Geocaching I'm thinking it would be a good one to begin with. Looking on ebay I can get a car cord, pc cable, and neoprene case for around $30.

Thanks again!!

Dan

BLueDeuce, where in IA might you be? C.R. here.

Edited by DanFiero

Thanks for all your opinions, it does sound like it would be a good starter unit. The person is willing to take $100 shipped to my house for it and he said it is loaded with the maps, although he didn't say what version it had. Since right now it would be more of a toy and I might use it 2 to 3 times a year for driving and probably more for Geocaching I'm thinking it would be a good one to begin with. Looking on ebay I can get a car cord, pc cable, and neoprene case for around $30.

Loaded with maps is different from comes with maps.

The V is somewhat limited on space, so the maps he places in there may or may not be what you want to use. Also, if for some reason you wnat to change the maps (for a trip or someting) you will not be able to without the software.

Well after thinking about your tips and suggestions I went ahead and bought one off Ebay instead of the one I mentoned above, it cost me $138 but it includes all the cables, a dash mount, and Mapsource versions 4, 5 and 6 (although 6 doesen't have the unlock code).

Hope it'll be here by next weekend and we can try it out looking for a cache thats about about a mile up theroad from the house.

Thanks again eveyone!!

Dan