"Refreshing" your caches

Now that I have an active cache, I was wondering about the etiquette of "refreshing" it with theme-related swag. The name of the cache is New Game; I have plenty of spiffy videogame tchotchkies that will fit in the container, and I figure I'll go down there from time to time and pop some new ones in. I'll admit that it's only half about the whole theme thing... I also don't want to let this cache fall into the state of some others I've seen, where the contents end up being two expired bus passes, a movie ticket stub, and a busted Happy Meal toy.

So here's the question... actually, two of them:

1) For those who refresh their caches, how often do you do this?

2) What to do with the swag that's in there when I go to refresh it? Obviously, any actual junk can be CITO; there's a park trash can visible from the cache site, heh. But assuming that there's actually something nifty in there, is it customary to just leave it in the cache and say to heck with the theme notion, or take it out to move to another cache on my own next trip?

I know these are newbie questions, and I apologize. Please be gentle. :):)

Your cache - your call. I check up on my caches a couple times a year, and if I have good swag, I will restock them. Generally the swag deteriorates over time as people don't trade fair, so a freshly stocked cache is a nice surprise for the next finder.

Occasionally I will take an item for myself or to move along. I don't do this very often and only if it's something I consider really neat. If you get in a habit of raiding your own caches to get the nifty stuff, like travel bugs, geocoins, or really cool swag, then people might get annoyed at you. But if in general you're trading up and you only do this occasionally, why not?

Other people may have differing opinions, and you need to remember that -- these are all opinions, everyone plays the game their own way. Do what you think feels right.

Try to get a feel for what's acceptable among your local cachers, too. Each region will have a slightly different culture. I've been reading these boards and sometimes come across people rallying against a particular practice that they think is bad -- and in my area it's commonly done. Or vice versa.

Edited by GreyingJay

It is your cache, anything you find it is fair game for you as far as I am concerned. Take it, trade it, move it. I regularly go out and re-stock a number of my caches. Sometimes I trash out contents, sometimes move it to other caches - sometimes take it home to my kids.

I started off adding to my caches every few months but now I just do it once a year.

Now that I have an active cache, I was wondering about the etiquette of "refreshing" it with theme-related swag. The name of the cache is New Game; I have plenty of spiffy videogame tchotchkies that will fit in the container, and I figure I'll go down there from time to time and pop some new ones in. I'll admit that it's only half about the whole theme thing... I also don't want to let this cache fall into the state of some others I've seen, where the contents end up being two expired bus passes, a movie ticket stub, and a busted Happy Meal toy.

So here's the question... actually, two of them:

2) What to do with the swag that's in there when I go to refresh it? Obviously, any actual junk can be CITO; there's a park trash can visible from the cache site, heh. But assuming that there's actually something nifty in there, is it customary to just leave it in the cache and say to heck with the theme notion, or take it out to move to another cache on my own next trip?

I know these are newbie questions, and I apologize. Please be gentle. :laughing::laughing:

We never bother to do that, and rather, when we do maintenance on our caches, we never add swag, and instead we simply remove junk items (i.e., wet and rusty unwrapped batteries, broken McToys, handguns, hypodermic syringes, etc.) dry the cache container if needed (we have only one that tends to get damp inside; it is near a lake.) As for replacing or upgrading cache items, or adding more when all are missing, in caches which have suffered degradation of swag quality, well, that is the responsibility of the geocaching community. If the finders wish to remove good swag items and leave junk (or nothing) in its stead, then God bless them, and let them swim in their junk, or let them find an empty cache container! That was their conscious choice, and it is not for us to deign to interfere with their choices to fill a cache with junk, if that is what they wish! BTW, it might seem that my stance assumes that all swag degradation or theft is the responsibilty of the geo community, and that it ignores possible vandalism by muggles. That is true, and that is only because all of our caches but one (the aforementioned one, a cache in a forest near a lake shore in a busy state park) are largely muggle-free, since they are either extreme terrain caches or tough puzzle caches, and thus never see muggle activity.

When I do maintenance checks on my theme caches I remove anything that is not within the theme and add theme items if needed. I have found that if the cache is stoked with them items cachers a less likely to trade theme items for non-them items. I will then take the items that I remove and place them in caches that need them. On all three of my theme caches I started off with enough themed swag to keep them going for a while.

My Thank You Betsy Ross cache was actually born after getting a bag full of swag CHEEP! So I encourage folks to just take a pin or bracelet instead of trading out of theme.

My Ghost Dance Cache started with over $100 of swag, including hand made Indian Chokers, Hand Carved fetishes and Totem Power Stones. The first finder unknowingly took a $30 necklace and a $10 hand carved Zuni bear. I got a good deal on 180 Totem Power stone but once they are gone I will probably have to find something else for the main item in the cache.

For the standard caches, I have had pretty good luck. I had one that was visited over 300 times and it only needed minor maintenance. A second cache needs to be restocked after about every 14th finds. Folks leave used chapstick, receipts and movie stubs in it but I have never seen that kind of trading in any of my other caches.

I do have one problem cache that the neighbor kids have found and new swag is gone before a cacher ever gets to see it, so I have not replenished it in a year. A cacher just checked on it the other day when he saw a group of kids walking away from the area and the cache was gone the next day the cache was back in place so I am sure it is time for the cache to be moved :laughing:

Joe

I only visit each cache once a year or so, and I'll bring a fresh toy or two, along with a logbook and pen.

My feeling is that trading is pretty much for kids. Any adult who geocaches for the swag will pretty much give up after a short time in my area. All I see is kid trinkets and junk.

The only thing I've taken in recent memory is a butcher knife out of a kitchen themed cache. I figured it would be best not to leave a knife like that in the cache. It turned out to be a pretty nice one and I've still got it in my kitchen.

I don't do it on any set schedule. If I happen to be near a cache and it happens to need refreshing, I do it.

If its good, I recycle it in my own caches or it goes into my swag bag for when I'm cache hunting. If its junk it goes in the garbage.

I am proud of my caches! Micro or ammo can, I want folks to enjoy them.

That means a fun hunt, a cool location, and/or good swag.

I don't have a lot out, wish I could afford to place more.

My ammo can caches all cost upwards of $80 to place, some considerably more. I want people to be thrilled that they took the time to come find my cache.

I mostly let the logs tell me when I need to maintain them or add swag, though I often cache with others and am always happy to take them to mine as part of a cache run. That means that I visit mine often and if I see it needs swag will drop some in.

I meant to hide two today and got sidetracked. They will go out tomorrow instead. One is my Gold ammo box I got for my 1k Finds Celebration; it will be a coin trade cache with 15 geocoins in it to start, and I will add coins as needed if folks don't trade 1 for 1.

Ed

It's yours to do as you see fit. Personally I don't restock caches. When I originally place them they have good swag. If the local community wants to degrade it by taking good items and leaving junk....fine. I'm not going to be their local Wal-Mart.

El Diablo

I think I agre with Deablo. I only have one cache thought and it has been out for only a few weeks but I think it will be oK even if I don't do anything. I just put cheap stuff in it and thats all you find anyways.

It's yours to do as you see fit. Personally I don't restock caches. When I originally place them they have good swag. If the local community wants to degrade it by taking good items and leaving junk....fine. I'm not going to be their local Wal-Mart.

El Diablo

I think I agre with Deablo. I only have one cache thought and it has been out for only a few weeks but I think it will be oK even if I don't do anything. I just put cheap stuff in it and thats all you find anyways.

I certainly hope these defeatest attitudes don't cache on in the community!

What's wrong with trying to do better than those who set a poor example?

If your neighbors don't cut their grass do you let yours grow?

Decent swag is history unless cachers dedicate themselves to keeping it up.

Ed

El Diablo

Ed

Ed, It's not a defeatest attitude. Why should I keep spending money replacing junk that the local cacher place. They need to learn by example. If they want to find good swag, then they need to leave good swag.

It's obvious from watching over the years that a cache placed whith good items will quickly deteriorate into junk in a short period of time. Why is the owner responsible to continually be his brothers keeper? If cachers want to find good swag, they need to leave it. Like I aid earlier, I'm not going to be their local Wal-Mart.

El Diablo

seems like you'd want to restock the cache periodically.

I don't have any caches hidden, but I've got some ready to go, and they represent a lot of time, effort, and money to put together. I'd take it as a reflection upon myself if they turned to crap and I left it that way.

Seems like it's worth a few bucks every couple months to make the difference between people going away with a :D instead of :):):o

I figure if my name is going to be on it, I want it to be good.

I've seen a lot of crap caches, and I wish people would just not have them out instead of leaving a piece of junk and not maintaining it.

El Diablo

Ed

Ed, It's not a defeatest attitude. Why should I keep spending money replacing junk that the local cacher place. They need to learn by example. If they want to find good swag, then they need to leave good swag.

It's obvious from watching over the years that a cache placed whith good items will quickly deteriorate into junk in a short period of time. Why is the owner responsible to continually be his brothers keeper? If cachers want to find good swag, they need to leave it. Like I aid earlier, I'm not going to be their local Wal-Mart.

El Diablo

You da MAN Briansnat El D. :o

I agree. I've posted nearly the same sentiment before.

Most of my caches are in nice locations and if you don't get that it's about the journey and NOT the free crap in a Snoogans' cache, you won't like my older caches. :)

The exception is my theme caches. I'll restock them from time to time....

seems like you'd want to restock the cache periodically.

I don't have any caches hidden, but I've got some ready to go, and they represent a lot of time, effort, and money to put together. I'd take it as a reflection upon myself if they turned to crap and I left it that way.

Seems like it's worth a few bucks every couple months to make the difference between people going away with a :D instead of :):):o

I figure if my name is going to be on it, I want it to be good.

I've seen a lot of crap caches, and I wish people would just not have them out instead of leaving a piece of junk and not maintaining it.

I don't feel like it's a reflection on the hider that the cache contents go to junk. It's more a reflection on the local community for placing the junk in there while taking the good swag.

El Diablo

I don't feel like it's a reflection on the hider that the cache contents go to junk. It's more a reflection on the local community for placing the junk in there while taking the good swag.

El Diablo

I'd agree with all of that, but I'd add that it's also reflection of the hider for not maintaining it.

I see both kinds of caches,

one that the hider throws somewhere and leaves, not bothering to replace wet log books, broken containers, missing pencils, etc.

the other that the hider updates the page within days if there is a problem, often restocks the cache or puts in travel bugs or coins, and generally seems to care that the people who search for/find it have fun.

I would also agree with the previous point that most important is the location, but even with a great location if the cache is junk, the experience won't be as much fun as if the owner actually cares.

El Diablo

I'd agree with all of that, but I'd add that it's also reflection of the hider for not maintaining it.

I see both kinds of caches,

one that the hider throws somewhere and leaves, not bothering to replace wet log books, broken containers, missing pencils, etc.

the other that the hider updates the page within days if there is a problem, often restocks the cache or puts in travel bugs or coins, and generally seems to care that the people who search for/find it have fun.

I would also agree with the previous point that most important is the location, but even with a great location if the cache is junk, the experience won't be as much fun as if the owner actually cares.

Don't misread my meaning, so let's get the context straight.

I care about my caches. I make sure there's a fresh log book and that the cache and its contents are dry. You'll find owner maintenance logs on all of my caches in 2 states. THAT means I care about my caches.

I don't care about the actual contents unless it's a theme cache.

If anyone who hunts my caches lets the contents ruin their experience, I could care less..... They just don't GET IT and I feel sorry for them. :o

Would crappy contents ruin your trip to ANY of these caches of mine? Because I haven't restocked them in years.

043f7c83-3aa3-46dc-b130-703f12fe85f5.jpg

80bf5db0-1925-4731-a3e1-971cb032182d.jpg

c026e602-93f8-4e71-8696-5a5dbca68720.jpg

3918340a-d43b-406a-ad03-d679947d7241.jpg

bb2f74ab-ab84-46ea-94b6-a5c270ed301a.jpg

37a7d3c2-1448-4d17-9e69-0e95df8e6db1.jpg

01d5377d-aca2-4a4a-9600-f8e5061c1044.jpg

4ef15c16-6880-48ea-99c3-8b26aa1040e5.jpg

4f56b1f0-e371-449b-a96b-11d2e75e6f1d.jpg

6a7fd740-c4ba-4c19-89ff-00ea27cde3be.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

El Diablo

You are talking about cache maintenance here. The only required thing in a cache is the log book. Every cacher that places a cache should always make sure that the log book is available and that the container is weather proof. There is no requirement to place any other object in the cache.

A normal cache that I place has at least 20.00 worth of brand new swag. I'm not going to continue to replace that swag for people that don't have enough respect to trade even or trade up.

In the old days we always noted what we took and what we left. That practice should continue, but it won't. There are too many people out there that take items and either leave junk, or nothing at all. I'm not rich and even if I were I'm not going to keep replenishing these caches.

If you don't like the swag you are finding bring it up at a local meet. Let people know that this isn't fair trading. Peer pressure goes a long ways.

El Diablo

I care about my caches. I make sure there's a fresh log book and that the cache and its contents are dry. You'll find owner maintenance logs on all of my caches in 2 states. THAT means I care about my caches.

If anyone who hunts my caches lets the contents ruin their experience, I could care less..... They just don't GET IT and I feel sorry for them. :o

Would crappy contents ruin your trip to ANY of these caches of mine? Because I haven't restocked them in years.

Great locations! I wish I could travel to all of them!

would it ruin the trip to have useless crap in them? no, those locations look outstanding of course... but you'd have to admit they aren't typical. And you'd probably also have to admit that regardless of the location, opening a cache to find good swag is *always* more fun than opening a cache to find a twist tie, gum wrapper, and a dead bug. Not the only thing, but one part of an overall experience.

So, yes, I'd agree that yours are an exception, but I'd disagree with the idea that cache owners shouldn't give a rip about the contents, as that's a part of the experience, and as owner of the cache, it's part of the job (in my opinion.)

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

The thing is, I agree more with your signature line, quoted above, than I do with your position on swag-stocking. :):) I want everyone who visits my cache to enjoy it, and even though good swag isn't a requirement of a good cache, it's something I certainly enjoy finding, and therefore I want to set a good example for others.

Besides, as I mentioned before, I have a whooooole lot of nifty little videogame-related goodies in my storage room (from many years as a game journalist), so let's just take it as read that I DO plan to refresh my game-themed cache from time to time.

With that said, does every couple of months sound too obsessive-compulsive? :o That's what I kind of had in mind for a tentative schedule, unless somebody reports in a log that the cache is nearly empty, or that it needs any kind of maintenance.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed an opinion or offered advice, by the way; it's giving me a much better understanding of the process, and of my fellow cache-hiders!

OK, so if swag isn't the issue, why do folks object to a micro in the woods?

If a maintained log is all that needs to be there, wouldn't a film can at each of the great locations shown above do just as well?

If you believe that your cache is going to degrade to containing geojunk and you don't feel the need to restock it, why not place micros? The journey, the hunt, signing the log is the thing, right?

Shoot, we don't need no steeenkin' ammo cans!

So, yes, I'd agree that yours are an exception, but I'd disagree with the idea that cache owners shouldn't give a rip about the contents, as that's a part of the experience, and as owner of the cache, it's part of the job (in my opinion.)

Lets get realistic here. Most people that look for swag in a cache are those with kids, they get a kick out of finding things. Most swag cost 1.00 or less. Why would you get excited about finding this, or even care that it was there?

I would venture a guess that cachers with kids are the biggest reasons that caches turn to junk. The kid brings something that to he or she is very important, and they reluctantly trade it for an item in the cache. In their minds it was an even trade. Parents being parents (Yes I'm one.) think about the sacrafice their kid has just made by trading a MC-D toy for a nice compass.

El Diablo

Great locations! I wish I could travel to all of them!

would it ruin the trip to have useless crap in them? no, those locations look outstanding of course... but you'd have to admit they aren't typical. And you'd probably also have to admit that regardless of the location, opening a cache to find good swag is *always* more fun than opening a cache to find a twist tie, gum wrapper, and a dead bug. Not the only thing, but one part of an overall experience.

Flatly, I just don't think caring about geocaching means catering to someone else's sense of entitlement.

If a maintained log is all that needs to be there, wouldn't a film can at each of the great locations shown above do just as well?

If you believe that your cache is going to degrade to containing geojunk and you don't feel the need to restock it, why not place micros? The journey, the hunt, signing the log is the thing, right?

Shoot, we don't need no steeenkin' ammo cans!

I went back today to try to find a micro in the middle of a huge park. my only outstanding DNF. second try. gf and I spent almost an hour last time. I spent about a half hour this time till the mosquitoes literally chased my back to my truck even though I was doused with spray. It was a completely bad experience, really not fun at all. Are there people who enjoy crawling around on the carpet looking for a lost contact lens? I'm thinking the experience is about the same.

I enjoy getting to a cache site. I don't find it fun to spend an hour there looking in the dirt under every rock, every leaf, behind every tree.. basically tearing the area apart to find where the blip happens to be dropped when my gps says I'm probably within 30 feet.

but then, that's another topic, isn't it? :o

Flatly, I just don't think caring about geocaching means catering to someone else's sense of entitlement.

:o doesn't really have anything to do with that. pride of ownership by the owner is about as far from entitlement as you could get.

You are fairly new to caching. After awhile when you find a cache you won't even look at the swag. You'll be too busy digging out the log book.

El Diablo

Lets get realistic here. Most people that look for swag in a cache are those with kids, they get a kick out of finding things. Most swag cost 1.00 or less. Why would you get excited about finding this, or even care that it was there?

I would venture a guess that cachers with kids are the biggest reasons that caches turn to junk. The kid brings something that to he or she is very important, and they reluctantly trade it for an item in the cache. In their minds it was an even trade. Parents being parents (Yes I'm one.) think about the sacrafice their kid has just made by trading a MC-D toy for a nice compass.

El Diablo

I made a little experiment with my event terracache called, "Snoogandipity."

I placed over $40 worth of dvds and very decent swag in it. It's bigger than a .50 cal. ammo can.

I placed it on the extreme edge of the event area where the finders could feel they had some privacy even though the cache was just behind a lone tree and watched out of the corner of my eye. :)

The kids in the group visited again and again and again. But I actually watched an adult cacher trade a sig item and a McToy for a DVD copy of Groundhog Day. :o

At the end of the event, my cache contained 4 of the exact same Sonic toy, a double handful of dirty golfballs, 2 gc.com TBs, about a half dozen sig items, a couple plastic dinosaurs, and a couple Where's George dollars.

Was I disappointed? Heck no! Did I restock it for the next event? I'm proud to say that some of that same stuff still resides in the cache over a year and a half later. People just tend to sign the logbook now. :)

El Diablo

It's a treasure hunt.

I'm interested to see what's inside. Who doesn't get a little excited by it, isn't it really the biggest drive behind the theory of geocaching?

:o

:) doesn't really have anything to do with that. pride of ownership by the owner is about as far from entitlement as you could get.

If you don't think I'm proud of my caches, just take a look at how many times I've worked them into forum discussions.

I'm just calling a spade a spade and this argument has a handle with a little scoop attached to the end.... :):o

El Diablo

It's a treasure hunt.

I'm interested to see what's inside. Who doesn't get a little excited by it, isn't it really the biggest drive behind the theory of geocaching?

:o

No. finding the cache and the location is the biggest experience. Trust me...after a while you will adopt the same attitude.

El Diablo

You are fairly new to caching. After awhile when you find a cache you won't even look at the swag. You'll be too busy digging out the log book.

El Diablo

Oh you are totally right, I already don't care about the swag that much now, once I see the cache, I'm pretty much done. I'd be perfectly happy in most cases turning around without ever opening the caches (because my experience so far has led me to believe there's really no point in opening most of them, since there's nothing interesting in there.) But I do think that it'd be great if cache owners (and even general cachers) cared more about the contents of the caches.

And another important point, I'm not talking about excessively great swag as maybe some others are... other than geocoins, I've never even seen anything in a cache that was better than a mctoy, I think a plastic figure or a mctoy is perfectly fine to find in a cache... I'm specifically talking about completely useless crap that fills them, a wet playing card, a dead battery, an acorn, a penny, a rock.... etc. Like 2 bucks of plastic toys, or some free garage sale stuff would refresh a cache nicely and make it fun to open again.

El Diablo

Oh you are totally right, I already don't care about the swag that much now, once I see the cache, I'm pretty much done. I'd be perfectly happy in most cases turning around without ever opening the caches (because my experience so far has led me to believe there's really no point in opening most of them, since there's nothing interesting in there.) But I do think that it'd be great if cache owners (and even general cachers) cared more about the contents of the caches.

And another important point, I'm not talking about excessively great swag as maybe some others are... other than geocoins, I've never even seen anything in a cache that was better than a mctoy, I think a plastic figure or a mctoy is perfectly fine to find in a cache... I'm specifically talking about completely useless crap that fills them, a wet playing card, a dead battery, an acorn, a penny, a rock.... etc. Like 2 bucks of plastic toys, or some free garage sale stuff would refresh a cache nicely and make it fun to open again.

Once again...go to a local meet and voice your thoughts. You have good ideas and it's what was originally intended. The things you describe above are results of the local caching community, not the placer. The change starts with you.

El Diablo

I think we've been saying the same thing for many posts now.

you are saying that don't care about the contents of your caches.

I am saying I wish you did, because even if they are in good locations, your caches could be better.

I think that's about as far as it's going to get. :o

No. I'm saying that I placed good swag in the cache when I plced it. The local community obvisiously doesn't care. They are the ones that degraded the contents. I'm just saying that it isn't my responsibility to keep buying them items.

Now if we can agree on that, then we have a meeting of the minds. If we can't, then it's time to agree to disagree. Talk to me in a year.

El Diablo

The best way to enjoy a cache is to learn to think like a kid. In fact, it's the best way to enjoy a lot of things. The usefulness of the swag isn't important. It's the souvenir for remembering the cache by. Don't you ever get the urge to clutter your desktop with memorabilia from your favorite caches? Well, maybe not, but I do.

I would venture a guess that cachers with kids are the biggest reasons that caches turn to junk.

That has been my experience, but I don't loose sleep over it.

At the end of the event, my cache contained 4 of the exact same Sonic toy, a double handful of dirty golfballs, 2 gc.com TBs, about a half dozen sig items, a couple plastic dinosaurs, and a couple Where's George dollars.

Was I disappointed? Heck no! Did I restock it for the next event? I'm proud to say that some of that same stuff still resides in the cache over a year and a half later. People just tend to sign the logbook now. :o

Personally, I like to start out a cache with great stuff and watch it degrade as people swap swag. It makes me feel good to know I contributed something to the whole affair, rather than simply let it stand at no net gain or loss. It's my gift to the next generation of cachers as a way of saying thanks to all those who came before me and enriched my life...essentially for free.

Okay, and I think you goofballs have completely hijacked my thread. :o

*waves a very stern finger at the lot of you*

Allow me to rephrase in an attempt to put the conversational bobsled back in the chute, and PLEASE, if you want to continue any other discussion, feel free to start a new thread for it.

I intend to refresh my theme-based cache from time to time. Given this as chiseled-in-stone fact, I would like input on the following two questions:

1) How often is it sane to refresh a cache? In particular, if I choose to refresh mine every couple of months, will that get me labeled -- even by other people who choose to refresh their caches -- as an obsessive-compulsive oddity?

2) Also assuming that I have no intention to keep any swag that ends up in my cache, unless somebody labels it as specifically for me, is it more customary to remove all non-theme-but-good swag items and place them in other caches, or to just forego the cache theme after the initial placement and leave all good swag in the cache no matter what sort it is?

And yes, I know that this postulates the existance of good swag in the aforementioned cache after at least two months of trading, but frankly, if 40 years of life haven't cured me of optimism, I somehow doubt a few junky caches and a forum full of cynics are going pull it off. :):):D

Edited by RealWorldAvatars

I refresh my caches, but perhaps not in the manner you are asking. I do a lot of cache maintenance and this is what I mean when I say I refresh my caches. I visit all my caches on a regular basis. When doing maintenance I have found it isn't adding stuff to caches so much as removing stuff from caches. I clean the container and remove grass and other foreign material. I remove all liquids, all crayons, all matches, all knives, all hotel soap, all damaged items, all worn/damaged golf balls, all lighters. I often bag small trade items in small plastic bags I carry, I do add bandages to all my caches on a regular basis and I do replace pencils, sharpeners and log books as required.

I know that the condition of a cache when I find it plays a part in my enjoyment and I know that when people go look for my caches they are going for reasons of their own, I cannot even guess why some people like geocaching and I certainly can't tell them what to prefer.

What I can do through regular maintenance is to try and ensure that every visitor finds a clean dry cache that contains only sound items, I do this because this is what I would like to find.

I know why I like to geocache and the contents of the cache do play a part, I still get excited every time I find a TB or a geocoin. I still find and trade items from caches, I think people are endlessly clever in the things they place in caches, sig items, handmade items and cool things purchased from who know's where. I don't expect to find every time I seek but the fact that I do find "things" as well as caches is a factor in my continuing enjoyment of seeking.

Edited to add: I visit all my caches as often as time allows.

I have given up on every themed cache I own finding them impossible to sustain, people will add or subtract items from the cache as they will and all my suggestions have been for naught. Every couple of months or so I visit my cache Fish and add some new Fish items, other people add fish stuff as well but not many.

I may be obssessed. :o

Edited by wavector

1) How often is it sane to refresh a cache? In particular, if I choose to refresh mine every couple of months, will that get me labeled -- even by other people who choose to refresh their caches -- as an obsessive-compulsive oddity?

2) Also assuming that I have no intention to keep any swag that ends up in my cache, unless somebody labels it as specifically for me, is it more customary to remove all non-theme-but-good swag items and place them in other caches, or to just forego the cache theme after the initial placement and leave all good swag in the cache no matter what sort it is?

And yes, I know that this postulates the existance of good swag in the aforementioned cache after at least two months of trading, but frankly, if 40 years of life haven't cured me of optimism, I somehow doubt a few junky caches and a forum full of cynics are going pull it off. :o:):)

After looking at some of the other caches near yours, it looks like they get visited on average 6 to 8 times per month. However, from September to March it is much less frequent (2 to 4). Being a new cache it will be visited more over the next 2 months until the locals have all pretty much found it. Therefore, after 2 months, or even sooner, it would be a good idea to check on the cache to see how everyone is trading. Then you will learn an optimal schedule to visit the cache for refreshing. I find it more practical to schedule maintenance visits based on the number of finders than the number of months. I have one cache that needs replenishing after 14 visits. I have a nano that the log can only hold about 14 names, so I check on them when they have met their quota. I also have several caches that have not been visited 14 times in the past years so they do not need me near as often.

As for what to do with non-themed swag: I would remove it as often as possible. I have found that finders will be less likely to trade non-themed swag for themed items when there are very few or no non-themed items in the cache-this includes signature items and business cards that are not within the theme. As soon as you are tired of maintaining the theme then you can edit the cache listing and allow open/random trading at that time.

I have not yet found anything to dissuade non-theme trading. I have written the theme on the cache listing, in the log book, on the inside of the cache box, posted that I removed non-theme items in maintenance logs but the non-theme trading seems to continue. So expect it and try to not get too discouraged.

My best advice, is to visit your cache as often as you want to and it is still fun to you. I remember visiting my first cache weekly to read the log book and check out to see if swag was OK and it was hidden well. However I have only visited it once this year so far.

Monitor the trading habit of the community and that will give you the best answer to how often you will need to replenish your cache in the future.

Most importantly, have fun! Don't get so obsessed over the swag that it causes you stress. This is a game so make sure you enjoy what you are doing.

Happy Caching

GEO.JOE

Edited by GEO.JOE

Micros in the woods are harder to find and because the choice of potential hiding spots is greatly increased, the search area is often wider. More time spent searching over a wider area could increase the possiblity of damage to the site.

I hate opening contianers to find soggy logbooks. I can't recall a single film canister cache I found where the contents were dry. There may have been one or two, but most I find are at least soggy and very often they are a sodden mass of pulp.

For me the journy is the most important part. I rarely trade, but even after 5 years I still enjoy the sense of anticipation that comes when I discover the container and I'm about to open it. The only thing I wonder about when I'm about to open a micro is whether the log will be dry enough to sign.

There is also something to be said for that clunking sound of an ammo box being dragged from its hidling place and the whooosh sound as you open it. It makes me all warm inside just thinking about it. Or was that the shot of Jameson I just did?

El Diablo

Ed

El Diablo

I'm a newbie not a deafatest and I have a good cache already that I already checked 3 times but why would Iwant to add mor stuff to it? If epople want to have good stuff they will put it in to but I think almost everybody doesn't care.

If I find somethingto wsap for I always leave something good but there is never asnything to swap for and I cut my grass more than my neihborhood. :laughing: Have a nice day.

I like to think of myself as a responsible cache owner (most of the time!), so I place my caches a comfortable distance from my home so that I can maintain them.

I do maintenance whenever it is needed, and I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to note that maintenence is needed in their found log.

As for restocking and "routine" maintenance, I go twice a year - Spring to prepare the cache for the upcoming cache rush, and late fall, to make sure the container is up to the challenges of winter weather. A couple of my caches get more frequent visits, either because they are cloe by, or because they are in more muggle-intense areas. I have found that some of my caches are almost always full of junk when I restock, and others never seem to degrade - and I have found no explaination/pattern for this - weird. And while I know that many cachers are not interested in the swag, I am always thrilled when I find something I think is cool in a cache (perhaps because I am a female?), and I like to stock with things for kids and adults.

One last thing: if you decide to leave the hobby, or archive a cache this is not DEFINITELY missing, it is important to remove your archived caches so that they do not become geotrash, and to open up the general location for a new cache by another cacher.

Happy hunting!