Lordelph's Lovely Icons

lordelph

Hmm... Looks ok, and you have the Final icon in c:\gsak\userimages... can we see a copy of your icons.txt file from your macros directory? I do know the first release was setup wrongly with "Final Location" rather than just "Final" in the description field. The only other thing I can think of is when you run the macro, do you have the finals not 'flagged' and have the box ticked to only export 'flagged' icons?

Cheers,

Jon

Flagging not used at all. The quote below is the icons.txt file

# Should match most types of waypoints to an appropriate icon

# See also memory.txt for what to set $_Symbol to

# This is your cacherid, used for matching your caches to you.

$ownerid = "340827"

### No more options, edit if you're interested though..

# Default to blank white, if we can't match anything.

$cacheType = "Default"

$pre = ""

# Waypoint type lookups

#

# For geocaches, we look it up, and then lookup in the 'array'

# Key Cache Type

# ==== ============

# "B" LetterBox

# "C" CITO

# "E" Event

# "G" Benchmark

# "L" Locationless

# "M" Multi

# "O" Other

# "R" Earth

# "T" Traditional

# "U" Unknown

# "V" Virtual

# "W" Webcam

# The top set of letters (cache types in GSAK) relate to the bottom set (of Memory-Map custom icons),

# we use this as base, and add on statuses.

$cacheTypeKeys = "BCEGLMORTUVW"

$cacheTypeDesc = "Letterbox;Event;Event;Virtual;Default;Multi;Default;Earthcache;Traditional;Mystery;Virtual;Webcam;"

# It's a cache, use the above

If Left($d_Code, 2) = "GC"

$index = at($d_cacheType,$cacheTypeKeys)

$cacheType = Extract($cacheTypeDesc, ";", $index)

EndIf

# Use a special icon for micros

If $d_Container = "Micro" AND $cacheType = "Traditional"

$cacheType = "Micro"

EndIf

# And another for Motorway Mayhem caches

If not(at("MOTORWAY MAYHEM", upper($d_Name)) = 0)

if not($cacheType = "Mystery")

$cacheType = "MM"

EndIf

EndIf

# It's some non-geocaching.com thing, customise as you wish.

If Left($d_Code, 2) = "TP"

$cacheType = "Trigpoint"

EndIf

# It's some non-geocaching.com thing, customise as you wish.

If Left($d_Code, 1) = "D"

$cacheType = "Reference"

EndIf

# Now, have we found it, is it unavailable?

if $d_Found

$pre = "Found "

EndIf

If $d_Archived OR $d_TempDisabled

$pre = "Unavailable "

EndIf

if $d_OwnerId = $ownerid

$pre = "Owned "

EndIf

if $d_HasTravelBug

$pre = "Bug " + $pre

EndIf

$_Symbol = $pre + $cacheType

#children

# set default for children

$_Symbol = "Dot"

if $d_cType = "Parking Area"

$_Symbol = "Parking"

endif

if $d_cType = "Stages of a Multicache"

$_Symbol = "Stages"

endif

if $d_cType = "Question to Answer"

$_Symbol = "Question"

endif

if $d_cType = "Trailhead"

$_Symbol = "Trailhead"

endif

if $d_cType = "Final location"

$_Symbol = "Final"

endif

if $d_cType = "Reference Point"

$_Symbol = "Reference"

endif

Hello dino-irl,

Try changing the line

if $d_cType = "Final location"

To

if $d_cType = "Final Location"

Capitol L for Location

I didn't realise that I had the same problem as most of my finals were on the cache location anyway so were marked with the cache symbol. On very close inspection I saw 'Tiny Dot's on some caches. On inspection of MM properties I realised that there were no "Final" waypoints generated, in place were lots of "Tiny Dots" which is the default symbol for children.

It took several reads through of every thing to spot the mistake. I corrected the above line and now have Final Flags.

Going back to your post your icons.txt file has the same mistake.

Regards

Bernard

On very close inspection I saw 'Tiny Dot's on some caches. On inspection of MM properties I realised that there were no "Final" waypoints generated, in place were lots of "Tiny Dots" which is the default symbol for children.

Genius, that's the same issue I've had (very few "Tiny dots") occasionally displayed. I guess we may all have the same problem as we all started off with the same icons.txt file I expect?

Thanks! :unsure:

I need some help please.......

I run these macros on a PC & a Laptop without any trouble.

I have tried to get them to work on a mates laptop, I have used my own files, but I just can't get the icons to show in MM.

I get all blue dots, not even any red flags, and there are no icons in MM.

I know I have made a mistake somewhere, but I can't find it...............HELP

Yours Roy

Check where the entries in memory.txt are looking for your graphics eg C:/gsak/userimages or G:/program files/gsak /userimages

Or if it's a later version of XP or Vista they maybe installed under your profiles Application data directory :)

"%userprofile%\application data\gsak\userimages\"

J

Every thing was fine until some months ago and now all I get are blue dots on both the PC and the PDA, I went through a period of getting a mix of both on both... why should this be. I have tried reinstalling re editing etc all to no avail. Still running XP only things that have changed are LE's icons and GSAK updates (V7 latest). Cheers MaxKim.

Edited by maxkim

I'm no sure what I'm doing wrong this time. I've installed the scripts for the icons several times before with no problems.

Recently I had to re-install XP and in doing so had to download and get the latest version of GSAK. I've downloaded all the files into the correct positions, changed the user number in icons.txt and the path in memory.txt, changed the dialog box to "use macro for symbol generation" but nothing works.

Looking at the final CSV file, neither the memory.txt file is added to the top nor are the individual icon codes being provided for each cache.

It's as if the icons.txt script isn't being run, yet if I change the name of the script to be run, GSAK objects so the script does appear to be running, but not doing anything.

Has anything changed in GSAK recently to cause this to break? I'm on version 7.6.2.45

I'm no sure what I'm doing wrong this time. I've installed the scripts for the icons several times before with no problems.

Recently I had to re-install XP and in doing so had to download and get the latest version of GSAK. I've downloaded all the files into the correct positions, changed the user number in icons.txt and the path in memory.txt, changed the dialog box to "use macro for symbol generation" but nothing works.

Looking at the final CSV file, neither the memory.txt file is added to the top nor are the individual icon codes being provided for each cache.

It's as if the icons.txt script isn't being run, yet if I change the name of the script to be run, GSAK objects so the script does appear to be running, but not doing anything.

Has anything changed in GSAK recently to cause this to break? I'm on version 7.6.2.45

The only thing that sounds like it has changed is your installation, so my money is on that. Can you confirm the path in Tools, Options, General, Application data is where you have memory.txt copied to?

J

I found an old install bundle of GSAK on another computer this evening. Version 7.5.1.28 and installed that.

I got everything working perfectly in 5 minutes. Something has definitely changed with the latest versions that make getting the icons and scripts to work a lot more problematical, on XP at least.

I'm thankful I had the old version still lying around and won't be changing or upgrading any time soon...

I found an old install bundle of GSAK on another computer this evening. Version 7.5.1.28 and installed that.

I got everything working perfectly in 5 minutes. Something has definitely changed with the latest versions that make getting the icons and scripts to work a lot more problematical, on XP at least.

I'm thankful I had the old version still lying around and won't be changing or upgrading any time soon...

So did you check the settings? The symptoms you describe are icons.txt not finding memory.txt. The check above would confirm if you had it in the correct directory or not.

J

For info I am running XP as well. Do you have a copy of the old version I could use? Cheers Max

For info I am running XP as well. Do you have a copy of the old version I could use? Cheers Max

Found a 7.5 version... here's hopeing... M

So did you check the settings? The symptoms you describe are icons.txt not finding memory.txt. The check above would confirm if you had it in the correct directory or not.

J

Settings and files were identical in both - I went through the same process.

On the newest version, when I export, although it appears to look for the icons.txt script, a step appears to be missing where a box called "Macro Status" with a progress bar appears on the old version while its processing the icons.txt script.

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Hello There,

There has been some alterations as to where particular folders reside in latter editions of GSAK. Please see the thread in this link it might help especially Clydes comments "To find the exact "macros" folder, use the "GSAK folder finder" via the "Tools" menu option. "

Regards

Bernard

Location/change of userimages directory isn't relevant for this script as the path to the image is explicitly listed in MEMORY.TXT, just make sure the path to where the icons are exists and that is does indeed contain the icons. If you get this wrong, the script still works, but you will get blue dots instead.

What you do need to make sure is that MEMORY.TXT is placed in the directory GSAK has defined as being "APPLICATION DATA" and that ICONS.TXT is placed in the MACRO directory underneath this. Select "TOOLS" and "GSAK FOLDER FINDER". Select "APPLICATION DATA" from the pull down menu and click "SHOW". This is where your MEMORY.TXT should be and your MACROS go in the MACROS subdirectory.

You then tick the box for "use macro for symbol generation" and simply list "ICONS.TXT" (without any path information) in the box below it. Then as Aleksandr says, it's Simples!

J

Hello There,

There has been some alterations as to where particular folders reside in latter editions of GSAK. Please see the thread in this link it might help especially Clydes comments "To find the exact "macros" folder, use the "GSAK folder finder" via the "Tools" menu option. "

Regards

Bernard

Location/change of userimages directory isn't relevant for this script as the path to the image is explicitly listed in MEMORY.TXT, just make sure the path to where the icons are exists and that is does indeed contain the icons. If you get this wrong, the script still works, but you will get blue dots instead.

What you do need to make sure is that MEMORY.TXT is placed in the directory GSAK has defined as being "APPLICATION DATA" and that ICONS.TXT is placed in the MACRO directory underneath this. Select "TOOLS" and "GSAK FOLDER FINDER". Select "APPLICATION DATA" from the pull down menu and click "SHOW". This is where your MEMORY.TXT should be and your MACROS go in the MACROS subdirectory.

You then tick the box for "use macro for symbol generation" and simply list "ICONS.TXT" (without any path information) in the box below it. Then as Aleksandr says, it's Simples!

J

Thanks will try that, I had misunderstood from previous posts that nothing had changed.... obviously not the case. Does GSAK not place things any old where, why does everyone have to use this tools thingy to find the folder , doen't it have a fixed location? Sorry if this is a thicky question... Cheers MaxKim. :D:D

Thanks will try that, I had misunderstood from previous posts that nothing had changed.... obviously not the case. Does GSAK not place things any old where, why does everyone have to use this tools thingy to find the folder , doen't it have a fixed location? Sorry if this is a thicky question... Cheers MaxKim. :D:D

If you are looking to aportion blame, then try Microsnot, it is their guidelines that I believe the product now adheres to.

In essence though, nothing has changed if you simply upgrade, all the 'defaults' you chose during your original installation will be maintained and both GSAK and the Macro's will continue to work as they always did, as per several peoples observations on here about changing things and it still working... However, if you do a FRESH installation of GSAK, then the new defaults come in to play. Thus, it is YOUR configuration that has changed, not the product, and you will need to change your macro's placement and setup to match the NEW defaults, or to change the defaults back to how your application used to be configured.

J

Thanks will try that, I had misunderstood from previous posts that nothing had changed.... obviously not the case. Does GSAK not place things any old where, why does everyone have to use this tools thingy to find the folder , doen't it have a fixed location? Sorry if this is a thicky question... Cheers MaxKim. :):lol:

If you are looking to aportion blame, then try Microsnot, it is their guidelines that I believe the product now adheres to.

In essence though, nothing has changed if you simply upgrade, all the 'defaults' you chose during your original installation will be maintained and both GSAK and the Macro's will continue to work as they always did, as per several peoples observations on here about changing things and it still working... However, if you do a FRESH installation of GSAK, then the new defaults come in to play. Thus, it is YOUR configuration that has changed, not the product, and you will need to change your macro's placement and setup to match the NEW defaults, or to change the defaults back to how your application used to be configured.

J

Not blame but to understand why.... it should be different on different PC's :lol:

Thanks will try that, I had misunderstood from previous posts that nothing had changed.... obviously not the case. Does GSAK not place things any old where, why does everyone have to use this tools thingy to find the folder , doen't it have a fixed location? Sorry if this is a thicky question... Cheers MaxKim. :antenna::antenna:

J

So if I simply upgrade to the latest GSAK version on an XP computer am I right in saying I shouldn't get the dreaded blue dots? I have held off upgrading after seeing this and similar threads elsewhere.

Thanks will try that, I had misunderstood from previous posts that nothing had changed.... obviously not the case. Does GSAK not place things any old where, why does everyone have to use this tools thingy to find the folder , doen't it have a fixed location? Sorry if this is a thicky question... Cheers MaxKim. :antenna::antenna:

J

So if I simply upgrade to the latest GSAK version on an XP computer am I right in saying I shouldn't get the dreaded blue dots? I have held off upgrading after seeing this and similar threads elsewhere.

Yes.

If you have GSAK already installed, any updates update what is already there and where it already is.

If you install GSAK for the first time it installs things according to microsoft guidelines for Vista and the new one (Whatever it's called...)

Sorry to resurect a very old thread but I have spent a long while trying to sort this out and I am sure there is an obvious answer.

My virtual icons are still not transparent. I have downloaded the file today so I am sure its the latest one, I have deleted the folder and got blue dots, extracted the file and got icons again - so I am sure I am working in the correct folder but I am still getting white backgrounds on virtuals.

Any other ideas?

Sorry to resurect a very old thread but I have spent a long while trying to sort this out and I am sure there is an obvious answer.

My virtual icons are still not transparent. I have downloaded the file today so I am sure its the latest one, I have deleted the folder and got blue dots, extracted the file and got icons again - so I am sure I am working in the correct folder but I am still getting white backgrounds on virtuals.

Any other ideas?

The reason you are not getting a transparent background on those icons is the background isn't transparent. Either open them in an image editor and flood fill the background in white (R255,G255,B255) or drop me a note with your email address and I'll mail you copies already edited.

I believe the icons recently underwent some necessary 'editing' and I guess the non transparent backgrounds have crept in as part of that edit.

Cheers,

Jon.

PS - I think you'll find some of the event ones also have none transparent backgrounds in the current zip.

Edited by Dakar4x4

The reason you are not getting a transparent background on those icons is the background isn't transparent. Either open them in an image editor and flood fill the background in white (R255,G255,B255) or drop me a note with your email address and I'll mail you copies already edited.

you'll find some of the event ones also have none transparent backgrounds in the current zip.

If you send your edits to lordelph at gmail.com I'll update the download.

you'll find some of the event ones also have none transparent backgrounds in the current zip.

If you send your edits to lordelph at gmail.com I'll update the download.

Will do.... Have them on my home PC, so will send them over this evening when I get 'ome :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jon

LD - would you mind posting "the regular download link" here at the current thread end (then I know I've got the right one).

Just had a faff getting the icons up and running on a Samsung netbook.... sorted it all eventually inc custom icons to the GPS too. I used an old set of downloads and like the sound of the transparent ones...

TIA...

OK... please remember I'm a complete numpty... I don't understand scripts and that kind of talk, but I really need LE's lovely icons back on MM now I've had a rebuild.

I am now using the latest GSAK and Windows 7 - if I download the script will I get the dreaded blue dots?

OK... please remember I'm a complete numpty... I don't understand scripts and that kind of talk, but I really need LE's lovely icons back on MM now I've had a rebuild.

I am now using the latest GSAK and Windows 7 - if I download the script will I get the dreaded blue dots?

Windows 7? Yes, most probably you will. I do not believe there is a way to parameterise the Application data and user images folder where the icons usually install to using GSAK. It'll need hard coding or an alternate location for icons will need to be found that is accesible to GSAK.

J

I did re-write my 'how to' guide for Windows Vista/7 - it is detailed but does involve editing the files as they have to be linked to where GSAK installs things in the Application Data folder. I've included a bit about editing one of the files to reduce the number of cache types if you are going to transfer the data to a PDA otherwise that displays blue dots!

Have a look, it may help!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I did re-write my 'how to' guide for Windows Vista/7 - it is detailed but does involve editing the files as they have to be linked to where GSAK installs things in the Application Data folder.

Thanks Chris, I was really struggling to set this up again on my new laptop. I couldn't understand why the changes I'd made to memory.txt weren't making any difference. I then deleted memory.txt, and the macro still ran! Decided to trawl the forum, and lo and behold, found your wonderful guide to setting this up on Windows 7. Thanks so much, from a newly "Windows 7" enlightened techie. I learnt a few interesting facts about this new OS as well as getting the macro to work!

Cheers!

Stuey :D

Tranferring GSAK and installing MM to a new PC and I cannot get the LD icons to show in the new installation of MM! Blue dot hell again. I have edited "memory.txt" to the correct path for the icon bmps.

GSAK looks ok - if I import the GSAK MM output into my old PC installation, the icons are fine.

The difference I note is that my new MM installation is not "seeing" the icons (Under Overlay/Icons, there are no icons listed). In my old MM installation, the icons are all listed there and the csv import works as advertised.

My brain is addled :laughing: now.... I cannot see the error

Tranferring GSAK and installing MM to a new PC and I cannot get the LD icons to show in the new installation of MM! Blue dot hell again. I have edited "memory.txt" to the correct path for the icon bmps.

GSAK looks ok - if I import the GSAK MM output into my old PC installation, the icons are fine.

The difference I note is that my new MM installation is not "seeing" the icons (Under Overlay/Icons, there are no icons listed). In my old MM installation, the icons are all listed there and the csv import works as advertised.

Where have you installed the icons on the new PC and what have you listed as the path in Memory.Txt?

Cheers,

Jon.

I had this problem and it was due to having too many icons installed on MM. I had to go through and delete them all, the ones that are needed were automatically re-installed to MM once I ran the macro.

Where have you installed the icons on the new PC and what have you listed as the path in Memory.Txt?

Cheers,

Jon.

UserImages folder and yep! I've edited the memory.txt file accordingly

UserImages folder and yep! I've edited the memory.txt file accordingly

So you have a path something like: -

101,"C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Hudson\Application Data\gsak\UserImages\_DefaultN.bmp","Default"

etc...

Defined in your memory.txt file? Where "Jon Hudson" is whatever Windows ID you are using?

Jon.