how do you check for your next cache?

Lionheart4

Here are a couple of ways that I've tried in the past.

Partially, though, it depends on the resources you have available to you.

At the top of my list is the CacheMate program that runs on palm-based PDAs. If you've got a palm device, you should really treat yourself and look into CacheMate or something like it. Coupled with a Pocket Query (have to be a premium member) it's hard to beat this one.

Next best (for my taste) is the mapping feature with zoom (need to be a premium member to use zoom). You go to one cache, get a map of it, and then zoom out until you have sufficient caches being displayed. Then you click the "identify" radio button and it shows you a page that includes a map and links to all those caches. It really helps for finding a cache that is near you. Of course, you also have to browse each of those caches to get the actual coordinates.

You can also get a decent map without being a premium member, but you can't adjust the zoom to show more or fewer caches. Just like most other things- you spend a little more money, you get a little more convenience.

Blue

Since your a newbie, "Search for nearest caches" on your quick view page is probably the best way to get your feet wet. Load a dozen or so into your gps and print the sheets. Then work on those until you have got them all. Then repeat. The more experienced you get, the more you can do at a time.

I wouldn't get too excited about premimum features unless you have a PDA and/or have been caching awhile.

Before I went paperless, I would research all the caches in the area where I wanted to go using Google Earth and the geocaching extension. Then I woud make a list of the caches that I wanted to look for, research these on GC.com for rating/difficulty etc. Then I would print out the GC pages of all the caches that I had decided that I could actually find given time constraints, which kiddos were going with me, etc. Next, download all the waypoints into the GPSr. Look back at Google Earth to put the caches in order that I would be finding them. All of this took a quite a while....

Now I run a pocket query (of up to 500 waypoints) of where I am going, download the caches into the GPSr using GSAK, download the cache pages into my PDA via GSAK and Cachemate. This takes about 5 minutes...Then I can head out and look for caches using the find nearest cache feature....no matter where I may roam.....its great!!! :)