Garmin windshield mount

paulamur

I need to get a decent mount for my 60Cx. I picked up an automotive mount last night, the salesperson thought that it used a suction cup to attach to the dash, it doesn't, and I need to move this between several cars, including a rental, so I can't stick anything onto the dash. So I will get the windshield mount. My question is, how strong is that suction cup? Is it strong enough to hold the unit off the dash, or does the GPSr have to rest on the dash also?

I know that Ram mounts are highly regarded, but I need to have this by Friday night so I can't wait for shipping. Thanks.

i've got it and it's great. holds is no problem . although i've found if the area you put it on is not really flat (like if you put it on the curved area of a windshield) it will fall off eventually. Other than that the only problem is if you don't rest it against the dash it vibrates too much and is hard to read.

Yes, it works great. I use one on the Quest and take it between many cars and it mounts in second or two.

It only falls off if the windsheild is dirty and the suction cup is very dry. But if you very slightly moisten/clean the rubber, and place it on a clean spot of the windsheild (wipe with a tissue if needed), it will hold like cement. Even after I release the suction, I need to slowly pry it off by picking up the rubber on one side with a fingernail.

I sometimes get vibration if I stick the mount out too far, Try different locations and mount orientations to avoid resonances that cause excessive shaking. Sometimes resting it on the dash, as suggested above, can help eliminate vibrations in bad situations. But I've also seen that technique hurt sometimes.

I think windshield suction mounts are the best way to install any GPS that you want to move from car to car and I use mine often in both mine and my wife's car.

However, if you ever travel to California or Minnesota, keep in mind that they are illegal there (the argument being that it blocks your view or something). I don't know how strictly it's enforced.

Re: Beanbag mounts...I've had a few people tell me they don't like them because they can slide around corners. Usually varies from vehicle to vehicle from my inquiries...so, I know for me I am looking to stick to suction mount.

Since the RAM mounts get such great reviews I'm surprised no one has already mentioned them.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Because the initial post said that wasn't really an option (must take a while to ship or something). :)

I think windshield suction mounts are the best way to install any GPS that you want to move from car to car and I use mine often in both mine and my wife's car.

However, if you ever travel to California or Minnesota, keep in mind that they are illegal there (the argument being that it blocks your view or something). I don't know how strictly it's enforced.

I posted something regarding this once in another forum and general concensus from people living in those states is that the law is generally not enforced.