Caching in Vietnam

trvthseeker

Given that there are only 16 caches registered in the country, I gather the sport isn't very popular here yet, and the travelers who come here are not geoccachers... Anyways, I'm fairly new to the sport, I got hooked on it back in Canada. I am currently living in Nha Trang and I hope to set up a few caches here. Anyone who has cached in Vietnam - I have a question. Should the caches be in fairly high traffic areas so they are easy to get to by transport or should I push everyone's envelop and put the caches in locations that would require a bit of a challenge? Like a spot that Western Tourists don't normally get to? There are a few in the Nha Trang area, but if no one is going to find the cache, there is no point in setting it up.

Anyways, if anyone is traveling through vietnam or in vietnam, let me know and we can discuss this sport here. Happy caching!

Spa Susi and I found one cache when we were in Hanoi and we've done a lot of caching around SE Asia. We'd love to see more caches in Vietnam and other nearby countries. When I'm travelling, I enjoy caches that are "a bit" off the beaten track the best. By "a bit" off the beaten track, I mean a cache that takes me to a place I wouldn't have gone to otherwise, but that is easy to get to as a day trip from a place I'm likely to be staying.

For a place like Vietnam where there aren't a lot of local cachers, easy transportation options to the location to draw tourists seems like a must. If it's too hard to get to a cache, not many tourists are likely to make the effort. Putting good instructions on how to get to a cache using public or hired transportation is key. Selecting interesting locations is also very important if you're asking people to spend a precious vacation day searching for a cache. The cache on Tam Island near Nha Trang looks like a good example of a cool vacation cache. It looks like there are regular boat trips there that would make an interesting day out. Plant a few more like that in the area and you'll for sure lure me and Spa Susi up for a visit.

Cheryl

Should the caches be in fairly high traffic areas so they are easy to get to by transport or should I push everyone's envelop and put the caches in locations that would require a bit of a challenge? Like a spot that Western Tourists don't normally get to? There are a few in the Nha Trang area, but if no one is going to find the cache, there is no point in setting it up.

Anyways, if anyone is traveling through vietnam or in vietnam, let me know and we can discuss this sport here. Happy caching!

Just got back from a brief business trip to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, and I was SO happy that there was at least one *real* (traditional) cache available to me in HCMC, the "Saigon's First Micro". But that's all there is, the next traditional one is a long way out of town. In Hanoi it is even worse, the only traditonal cache is a long way into the countryside and it appears to be lost.

fortunately, I was able to do a few virtuals, but it's just not the same and I want to move TBs.

So my answer to your question is that the easier the access, the more visits your caches will have, and you'll make more people happy! It's so nice to be able to do some geocaching on business trips, but most such travelers have very limited time on their hands.

In more touristic locations I guess it's another story. If I were to place caches in areas like that, I'd go for a few easy ones and then some that require serious hiking.

Good luck with your caches.

Mostly Moose

I hid a new cache in Nha Trang today. Its a traditional one and its on an end of the beach that is not visited by tourists much... But its very easy to get to... I hope this meets all the suggestions you guys gave me. I look forward to seeing how this cache takes off, it was the first one I've placed. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions... I plan on placing some more in the future - there is one little town just outside of Nha Trang that is quite worth visiting (IMHO). If anyone has further comments about Vietnam Geocaching, feel free to leave them at this thread, I check it regularily.

Hello !

I own 3 caches in Vietnam, all real ones. ( Saigons first Micro, Nha Trang Beach micro & Tam Island Stikkis)

Those 3 were hardly "visited" except the one in Saigon.

Vietnamese people are not interessted in that kind of hobby.... also its very expensive for them to buy such a GPS unit, or to travel.

Anyone who want to travel to Vietnam for caching, please contact me in advance. You could do me a favour in one of my Nha Trang cache.

Thank you and happy new year

Cyril aka Ceilord

Just some thoughts on the above posts:-

I doubt that geocaching will ever catch on with the locals, both because of the points Cyril made above and also because GPS units aren't widely available here. Most locals have never heard of them. Looking at the logged finds for caches in Vietnam, every single one that I've looked at was posted by a non-Vietnamese.

Geocaching in Vietnam is problematical. For one thing, anything not nailed down tends to disappear very quickly. This makes hiding a traditional cache in the cities difficult. I was hoping to set a few virtual caches here in Saigon, but they're no longer being accepted. I'll likely do something like that over at Waymarking.com.

The countryside offers a lot more potential, but getting around isn't that easy. I'm fortunate that as a member of the local Hash House Harriers I head out of town almost every weekend, but traveling geocachers would need to organise transportation.

Some possibilities for cache locations (for those of you who reside locally) are:

- Vung Tau (either of the hills)

- Can Tho (Mekong Delta)

- Tri An Dam (about 40 kms from Saigon)

- Phan Thiet / Mui Ne (beach resort about 200 kms up the coast)

Cheers,

Piscador

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Some possibilities for cache locations (for those of you who reside locally) are:

- Vung Tau (either of the hills)

- Can Tho (Mekong Delta)

- Tri An Dam (about 40 kms from Saigon)

- Phan Thiet / Mui Ne (beach resort about 200 kms up the coast)

Cheers,

Piscador

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Hello Piscador,

I think you have chossen some adorable points for the caches. I am sure the places : Mui Ne / Phan thiet and Can Tho is the right place to hide a traditional cache, cause there are a lot of tourist tour operators like Sinh Cafe, TM Brothers or Hahn Cafe to provide those day trips down there. Vung Tau is suitable too, but I think you will need a motobike to go up the hills.

Would be nice to see some more "real" caches in Vietnam.

Cheers

Cyril

Germany