NEW to GPS and GEOCACHING

bueller44

OK, I am trying to do my research and get the best bang for my buck. I want a gps unit that can be used in the truck for driving on the street with detailed city maps. I also want to be able to use the GPS off road and looking for geocaches. So a handheld one is preferred.

I think I have it down to the following 3 units:

Garmin IQUE M4

Garmin 60CSx

Magellan eXplorist 500

Please help me to decide. I like the idea of the IQue M4, except for the price. What am I not going to get with the 60 CSx or the MAgelan that I am geting in the M4?

I am in Canada. Prices I have found so far are

IQUE M4 - $671.95CAD on gpscity.ca - $639.99USD at Circuit City in the US

60CSx - $499.95 CAD on gpscity.ca - $399.99USD at Circuit City in the US

eXplorist - $479 CAD at Radio Shack - $299.99 USD at Best Buy in the US

Any suggestions? :o

OK, I am trying to do my research and get the best bang for my buck. I want a gps unit that can be used in the truck for driving on the street with detailed city maps. I also want to be able to use the GPS off road and looking for geocaches. So a handheld one is preferred.

Garmin IQUE M4

Garmin 60CSx

Magellan eXplorist 500

Please help me to decide. I like the idea of the IQue M4, except for the price. What am I not going to get with the 60 CSx or the MAgelan that I am geting in the M4?

Any suggestions? :o

how rugged are the IQUE and Explorist, and how compatiable with your software are all them, Garmin's are in my opinion very good, I've owned a few different ones, and the 60csx is no doubt to me...so far...King, that special antenna works really good.

I would not recommend the IQUE as it is definitely not designed for the outdoors and would surely become an expensive paperweight should you drop it or get it really wet.

As for the Explorist 500 it's rechargeable battery is a definite no no for me. It's a nice unit but I like to be able to swap out a couples a AA's if needed. Having to constantly recharge stuff drives me crazy and this would limit you on extended trips in the woods.

I have the 60CSx currently and have owned numerous other Garmins. The 60Csx cannot be beat for sensitivity and is just an all around excellent gps. I use it in the car as well for driving directions. Also, I have had only one minor issue with a previously owned Garmin gps and they took it back, fixed it and returned it to me within a week.

Good luck with your purchase!

I went through this same dilemma...I took literally a month to research before I bought and finally decided there wasn't a "perfect" unit for my needs. I settled on a similar list and decided on the 60CSx. It does much better for on road than I thought it would, but still not perfect.

Also, I bought mine for about $300 USD after rebates. Had to sign up for a credit card and use it for the purchase, but effectively ended up getting $80 off retail price through Amazon.com.

Anyway, see the thread I started about my wonderful adventure with it! Those things are durable for sure. :)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=143967

Garmin IQUE M4

Garmin 60CSx

Magellan eXplorist 500

Any suggestions? :)

Unfortunately, there is not a "perfect" unit for both the car and for the outdoors. Different needs, different marketing of features by the GPS makers. And they probably figure that combining them is too expensive.

I have tried, there are two discontinued units that come close, the Whistler Galileo (had and sold) lacks a little in both areas (no turn-by-turn or voice prompts for car use; for caching, only shows DD MM SS.S lat/long format and stops counting down distance at 0.1 miles (528 ft.).

The Lowrance iWay 100M (which I still use in my car) lacks a "compass rose" to tell you which direction to go and stops counting down distance at 0.01 miles (OK 52.8 ft. is almost within "normal GPS error", but still).

Both units have crappy reception as handhelds and really need the external antenna. So I use the iWay in the car and have an iFinder GO for caching (don't do it enough to worry about transferring waypoints from the Web/computer, etc.).

I hear the Garmin 60cx series does come close to doing both as mentioned here and does have incredible reception, so if you have the money for one, good luck!

If it was just car navigation, I'd say go with the iQue however if you are doing any offroading/geocaching/hiking/biking you want to avoid iQue's forever because they just don't hold up to the rugged outdoors. I'd get a 60CSx which is the top of the line 'outdoor' model. I have it and it is AWESOME. Most people like the 60CSx better than eXplorist series however some people would never get a garmin.

As for me, garmin forever!

arent they up now for 369.- on amazon now?

here in switzerland the unit costs about 600.- USD, far better deal to get it overseas. if only the american/european basemap would hold me from doing so.. and getting the swisstopos with it, you get a massive rebatte on the software that almost makes up for the price of both things bought separately..

is it true that a new SIRF will come out that only uses half the power in near future?

As for the Explorist 500 it's rechargeable battery is a definite no no for me. It's a nice unit but I like to be able to swap out a couples a AA's if needed. Having to constantly recharge stuff drives me crazy and this would limit you on extended trips in the woods.

There is a battery clip for those who wish to use AA's or rechargeable AA's. Cost $8.

You can get one here.

sorry, AAA's for the eXplorist clip

Edited by Jhwk

I have to ask this question one more time. man this is a tough decision. First, I am in canada and can't order online from the states so that sucks. At least Amazon didn't let me.

So the 60Csx is $500 CAD up here on line at GPScity.ca

The eXplorist 500 I just found in Best Buy last night and it is $349 CAD.

That's Canadian dollars, that's why it seems high.

I know that the eXplorist 500 odesn't have barometric pressure thermometer and an altimeter, but is that worth $150? Should I just go for the Explorist? Or dodge the buulits from the other 1/2 and get the Csx?

Please help!!!!

I had the eXplorist 500 until last week when I STEPPED on it, smashing the screen (ouch! :)). I found this unit to be quite well suited for geocaching and even autorouting to actually get to the cache site. I liked the small form factor and bright, crisp screen.

My only complaint with the eXp 500 was the reception under dense tree cover and predictable overshoot as I approached a cache. A few circles around ground zero would bring me in range, but it was a bit of a pain. Further, I completely lost signal a few times in the deep woods of NH. I needed to walk out to a clearing to re-establish signal and then walk back in to resume my search or make my way back to my Jeep.

I decided to look at the 60csx as its replacement, soley for the reason of improved reception. On two occasions I was joined on a cache search by others who had 60cx*'s. They got to the correct ground zero extremly quickly and confidently, while I was off chasing a floating ground zero around a 30-50 ft circle. My confidence with the eXp 500 was fading.

The compass is just a bonus for me. This will certainly come in handy in the woods when you're standing still looking for a bearing without having to dig in your pack to grab the trusty old magnetic compass (which I will still carry). Altimeter is not something I can imagine ever using. The 60cx might have been perfect for me, but I usually buy more than I need, just in case. :)

I've only had my 60csx unit for a short while. I am becoming comfortable with the use of the unit and working thru its own little quirks and differences from my old eXp 500 that I had come to know so well. I am pleasantly impressed so far. The interface is quite easy and intuitive and can be easilly tailored to suit your preferences.

There are only a few issues for me but they do not appear to be show stoppers:

1. Larger/bulkier the eXp 500

2. The screen is slightly larger, but does not "feel" as crisp as eXp 500. Could be the yellow background on the 60csx vs white on the eXp.

3. Autorouting is done slightly different than my eXp, some things I LOVE, others will just take adjustment

4. Cannot search for caches by name (LARGE issue). I am using a GSAK macro to convert cache to Custom POI's (quite simple) that provides the function I require. So far works OK, but is a little kludgy for my taste.

Hope that helps,

Good luck with your decision, and have FUN caching!

Edited by markp99

I have to ask this question one more time. man this is a tough decision. First, I am in canada and can't order online from the states so that sucks. At least Amazon didn't let me.

I know that the eXplorist 500 odesn't have barometric pressure thermometer and an altimeter, but is that worth $150? Should I just go for the Explorist? Or dodge the buulits from the other 1/2 and get the Csx?

Please help!!!!

hey i am from canada as well...please message me privately...cuz i got to go and work...if i will get a message from u...i will respond...if not...i will try to find this thread and write about the prices of different places i found!! and softwares good deal places too

Please help!!!!

As a 500 owner, You do not need the barametric altimeter. The calculated altitude is very accurate and I have tested it against benchmarks and topo maps. I always carry a regular compass, which is more accurate and better for siting bearings, than any GPS compass.

Other factors to consider is the battery on the 500, which is rechargeable Li-ion like your cell phone and PDA. Most of us like this feature and find it more convenient than AAs. The file management system on the 400,500,600s is great and usefull if you store many waypoint, geocache and track files. The 60C has more screens and customizable fields on its pages.

Please help!!!!

hey i am from canada as well...please message me privately...cuz i got to go and work...if i will get a message from u...i will respond...if not...i will try to find this thread and write about the prices of different places i found!! and softwares good deal places too

I have sent you a PM.

Thanks,

I too searched for the best of both worlds and could not decide on which one also. I wanted one for driving and one for geocaching. Well alot of hand helds do not have what you need for detailed street driving. Some lack alot of features that the mobile units have. After months of looking I broke down and got a Magellen Roadmate 760 for the vehicle and a Magellan Explorist 600 for geocaching. Yeh I dropped close to $1000.00 bucks for both but I am happy and have the best of both worlds.

:blink: OK, I just ordered my brand new Garmin 60CSx with the windshield mount, and the TOPO map on the microsd card for southern BC!!!! I shold have it all on Tuesday!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!! :laughing:

i wonder why do people buy the pre program from garmin anyway? it is way to expensive...its better buy seperate microsd and the map and upload it that way...cuz you save BIG BUCK....maybe if you get it in the mail...sent it back with unopen and they will refund your money

p.s. i sent you an email back...not sure if u got it

I ordered it through GPSCentral.ca. And I just sent them an email asking to remove the microsd card TOPO and add the TOPO CD for Canada instead. Good thing about ordering on the weekend, they are closed and can hopefully make the change before they ship on Monday.

And I did get your email Beautyisgod.....thanks for the info!!