Promoting to officer

I've been wondering what the etiquette is in regards to promoting officers. I'm pretty new to creating categories and normally promote 2 people (usually the first 2 that sign up) to Officer status then anyone else that signs up remains a member.

In some groups I've notice that there are a scattering of officers (more than 2) and a scattering of members and in other groups everyone is an officer.

Just curious, and wondering what is best method regarding promotion choices.

J.A.R.S.

I've been wondering what the etiquette is in regards to promoting officers. I'm pretty new to creating categories and normally promote 2 people (usually the first 2 that sign up) to Officer status then anyone else that signs up remains a member.

In some groups I've notice that there are a scattering of officers (more than 2) and a scattering of members and in other groups everyone is an officer.

J.A.R.S.

I always just ask. I email the person and tell them, "This is what's involved, are you willing to be an officer" and if they express an interest in it, then they're an officer. I like having more than the minimum, because that way if a couple of the officers are unavailable for whatever reason, you have more people to "cushion" the responsibility. That's especially important in a fast-moving category.

J.A.R.S.

When I am first forming a group to create a category, I prefer to keep the number in the group smaller (the minimum). The smaller number makes the officer approval go quicker. With large numbers sometimes categories are "killed" just because one of the officers was not available for a few days and did not vote (it takes 100% approval). Once the category is approved I will add more officers to help manage the submissions and approvals.

When I am first forming a group to create a category, I prefer to keep the number in the group smaller (the minimum). The smaller number makes the officer approval go quicker. With large numbers sometimes categories are "killed" just because one of the officers was not available for a few days and did not vote (it takes 100% approval). Once the category is approved I will add more officers to help manage the submissions and approvals.

Good point about too many officers before a vote could kill the category.

My categories get light traffic so 2 officers have been plenty so far. I'll promote more if activity increases. Thanks for the tips.