Illinois Geocaching Has Lost a Dear Friend

CYBret

I just got word that SYSOP, one of the founding members of the L.E.G.S. (Little Egypt Geocaching Society) and an all around great guy was killed in a motorcycle accident today.

Kendal was an amazing friend. One of those people who simply accepts you for who you are and likes you anyway. He was one of the earliest geocachers in the area and loved the game. He hosted many of the earliest Geocaching events and placed some very fun caches.

bbe1cdc5-3aed-46a6-8562-56eb4dfe924f.jpg

How could you not love a face like that?

:o

Edited by CYBret

I just got word that SYSOP, one of the founding members of the L.E.G.S. (Little Egypt Geocaching Society) and an all around great guy was killed in a motorcycle accident today.

Kendal was an amazing friend. One of those people who simply accepts you for who you are and likes you anyway. He was one of the earliest geocachers in the area and loved the game. He hosted many of the earliest Geocaching events and placed some very fun caches.

bbe1cdc5-3aed-46a6-8562-56eb4dfe924f.jpg

How could you not love a face like that?

:o

I wrote back and forth to Kendal many times over the years. My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends. He will truly be missed.

I believe that there is a ride after this one.

and when we take that ride,

there will be no more gravel surprises,

There will be no more invisible oil slicks,

There will be no more "deer appear" and there will be no more 4 wheeled weapons.

There are many images of the afterlife. Some have us as angles with big ole puffy wings, others have us hanging around listening to elevator music and others have us as spooky spirits and ghosts.

I imagine tho that we are given much more freedom than we have now, after being liberated from our fragile bodies. Flying? I believe we can willingly travel zippidey quick in 3 or more dimensions. I am sure that pilots will enjoy this freedom but I bet *Motorcyclists* will enjoy it more. We ride the twisties the pilots could never fly through. We love to see and smell the forest (and the farms). We feel the wind, rain (and bugs) on our faces. Now imaging making the same moves without the dangers of of the gravel, hidden oil, jumping deer inattentive "cage" drivers, without the fatigue and without running low on fuel. :-)

I like that picture of the afterlife. I have dreamt it many times.

Kendal is ready to ride that ride. He's practiced for it here and now he has a ticket to ride across roads that exist only in his own imagination. When I am ready to do some real riding, I know that I will have a ride leader that knows where all the good spots are.

Godspeed SYSOP.

glenn

motorcycle rider

I only met Kendal and his daughter once. He was a wonderful person and the world will be a little darker without him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. :ph34r:

a554a8c3-f05f-48dd-87ce-d716f5c70353.jpg

Actually, the picture shows Sysop and me. He was one of the first geocachers I met on my first event. We didn't agree on everything, but we had a nice long discussion. Hard to believe that this is only just one year ago and not repeatable :o

I know this is a little sappy, but I just found it and felt the need to post it.

I did some digging on The Wayback Machine and found Kendal's old Omega BBS site. From there I found his personal page and some of the poetry he wrote. I'm not sure how many people knew Kendal as a poet (I think we all knew him as a philosopher), but he had written a few...mostly for his own enjoyment and his friends. He once gave me one and I wish I could find it.

Anyway, here are a couple I found that I thought fit well with cachers.

Another Journey

Rushing headlong down the trail,

Afraid to tarry lest I fail.

Work to do, people to see,

So little time, just for me.

Children growing, family near..

Got a problem? Daddy's here.

Wait a minute, be right there!

Just let me finish, if you don't care.

Jobs all done, now let's talk.

Maybe we can take a walk?

Family's gone, wonder why?

They left without saying goodby!

Wonder when they'll be back?

What time is it? I've lost track.

Maybe I'd better stop awhile.

Slow down a bit, rethink my style.

The business can wait.

I must find my family before it's too late!

What happended to the Sunday drive?

The time together made us feel alive.

The phone is ringing, shall I get it Dad?

Let it ring, ther's a life to be had.

Put on your shoes and head for the car!

It's time to go exploring afar!

Pack a lunch and grab the keys!

Today we're a family and we'll do as we please!!!

Searching

Walking in the land that is not real...

Always searching, ever seeking.

Each object I must feel,

The shadows ever creeping.

Walking where there are no trails,

Just to see what I might find.

Every cliff I must scale

To satisfy my thirsty mind.

Seeking things no one has found

In this wasteland that never ends.

Walking on the shifting ground,