Important Waypoint Information

cache agent

Hello Everyone,

I would like to mention that there is a new feature thats been out for a while on your edit page.

Its called Add/Edit Waypoints.

This little feature will help your reviewers tremendously if done properly.

I'm pretty sure most Canadian reviewers have a similar set up as I do but if not please contact your reviewer just to be sure.

If you have waypoints say.... waypoint 1 and your GC# is say ... GCHHHH, I personally would like for the waypoint page to have the coding like this

"Waypoint Lookup Code" 01HHHH (leaving out the GC letters)

"Prefix Code" 01

For the Final of the multi/ puzzle would you mind using XC (XCHHHH) and for parking PK (PKHHHH).

Have I confused you yet? hehehe

I'm horrible at explaining such things....

Other Canadian Reviewers if this isn't how you want your waypoints page, please post and let your cachers know.

Thank you!

Cache Agent

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

PS: I'm not sure about other countries but a quick email to your local reviewer will let you know how and if they want this done in their area.

Edited by cache agent

I suggest the following method in reviewer notes...

If you look at the upper right menu of links, you will see "waypoints". Enter them there and make sure that they are "hidden" if needed. Reviewers can still see them if they are hidden.

Name each of them the GCXXXX waypoint number of the cache followed by "Stage 2", etc., as in "*GCXXXX* Stage2". Then name the final location's waypoint "*GCXXXX* FINAL". The Waypoint Lookup Code should be "Stage2", "Stage3", "Final" and so on. The Prefix Code should be something like "S2", "S3", "FC" and so on. Then, make sure you hide the waypoint.

This will help speed up the cache review process. It is actually a cool new feature for the reviewers. You can also enter parking coordinates or highlights along the way and leave them available for view. People are able to download them from the cache page and automatically get them in an additional file with their pocket queries.

For those of you who get pocket queries, if there are additional coordinates you will see the extra file in your PQ email. You can load them up as needed. The Prefix Code replaces the "GC" number, so it is easy to know which cache it is associated with. GC1234 will have PK1234 shown as parking coordinates. It might have BR1234, which might be the location of a cool old bridge along the way. It all depends on what you choose as a prefix code.

Let us know if you have questions. Good post cache agent!!!

And... :o

If you have some time go back and add waypoints to your old caches.

I am still doing this but you can take the waypoints out of the cache page text and place them using the Add Waypoint feature, this will make it easier for cachers to access any of the waypoints you originally provided because they will see them in PQ results. I even found an error in one of my Puzzle/Mystery caches using the new feature. I was able to cross-reference an email from a seeker and the Waypoint list and compare the results easily and quickly.

Now I see there is an actual methodology rather than the hodegpodge I usually use, another session of Waypoint edits might be in the offing.

I use the same method as Cache agent, 01,02 for the stages and XC for the final in a master GPX file I have developed for reviewing, altho I will usually enter everything into my file manually, this is still great for the new features being developed for the reviewers. It is also really great if the cache owners of older multi and puzzle caches can add this info, it is also convient for a reference place as a cache owner to be able to have this online should you need to get this at a later time. I have had a few request from cachers who's computer or GPS lost their final or intermediate stages and could no longer find their own cache due to missing points.

The "Additional Waypoints" are a great feature, and GSAK handles them as 'child waypoints' which can be toggled in GSAK if you don't want to see them.

If you do use them in GSAK you can even make them show as a separate icon as they download as "Unknown" (not to be confused with the Mystery/Puzzle type)

As a cache owner, you can make the "Additional Waypoints" as seen by all, or hidden (so only you and the Reviewers can see them).

Hiding them is a great feature because now you can save the true location for multi-caches and puzzle caches instead of maintaining an off-site database. Plus if you download the individual GPX file, as the owner you get the hidden ones too but no one else can. The public ones can be viewed by anyone.

The other nice thing is that the Caches are in one file, and the Additional Waypoints are in another, which means you can separate them into different databases in GSAK.

BUT....

I wouldn't recommend removing the data from the cache listing. Additional Waypoints are ONLY available to Premium Members as they are a function of the GPX file format. It is better, to me anyway, to provide the locations in both the description and as Additional Waypoints if possible.

To see an example... BQ's - EarthCache at St. John's, however I didn't use Cache Agent's / MNT-MAN / Cache Tech's suggested naming format.

:o The Blue Quasar

Ok..... mmmmmm ..... BQ you always throw a wrench in there ..... mmmmmmm ok..... How to explain this.... :)

First I would like to say that everyone is right.... no one is wrong..... :)

When I (CA) review a cache I usually put the waypoints and final in by hand..... the "Lookup" is the most important part in this feature for me.

If someone puts say.... Final in the Lookup section..... and someone else puts Final for theirs, in gsak its going to copy over the old one.... thus the set up of XC#### for the final, waypoints and parking. Its going to do it for everyone, not only reviewers.

What I'm trying to explain in this post is each reviewer has a way of putting in the waypoints and final to check before reviewing a cache... if we can all get the set up the way the reviewers in your area the same this will help in their reviewing and filing.

Ahhh we'll get this all worked out, we still have a few more reviewers to hop in and post.

Thanks for everyones post so far.

CA

Anyone want a chocolate!

:D

Edited by cache agent

CA, If I understand your point, the cache that BQ linked has a waypoint called "PARK", but if somebody else has a waypoint called PARK, they'll collide with each other in GSAK and one of them will be lost. So by your algorithm the waypoint should be called PKMGE7, right?

Or maybe you should post a link to a cache that does it the way you like it. :-)

Also, I noticed that the additional waypoint section gets stripped when you generate a PDF of the cache page. This seems 100% backwards, since the only time I generally want to print a cache listing is when there's a bunch of waypoints to visit with questions to answer. So either this is a bug that Groundspeak should be fixing or cache listings should have the waypoint information duplicated in the long text portion of the cache description.

dave

CA, If I understand your point, the cache that BQ linked has a waypoint called "PARK", but if somebody else has a waypoint called PARK, they'll collide with each other in GSAK and one of them will be lost. So by your algorithm the waypoint should be called PKMGE7, right?

Yessiree thats what I mean.

Also, I noticed that the additional waypoint section gets stripped when you generate a PDF of the cache page. This seems 100% backwards, since the only time I generally want to print a cache listing is when there's a bunch of waypoints to visit with questions to answer. So either this is a bug that Groundspeak should be fixing or cache listings should have the waypoint information duplicated in the long text portion of the cache description.

dave

Not sure what you mean on this butttt.... I know in gsak you have the option to turn on child waypoints maybe its a similar situation.

CA

Yessiree thats what I mean.

Actually GSAK is smarter than that. Each additional waypoint is associated with it's cache so it remains unique. GSAK allows you several options to rename these waypoints when sending them to your GPSr too. I prefer to strip the "GC" from the front and add the designator ( for example PK) to the end so that they stay together when sorted alphabetically.

Not sure what you mean on this butttt.... I know in gsak you have the option to turn on child waypoints maybe its a similar situation.

I mean that if you go to a cache page and click on the "Print PDF" link, the page that comes up does not have the "Child Waypoints" section.

dave

Since I have gone paperless with a laptop and PDA (oh the equipment now taken into the field to find tupperware is surely getting out of hand I know) I have not played with the "Print PDF" link. Since the PDF feature is fairly new, I would suggest that you suggest this as an added feature in the Geocaching.com Website forum if you think this would be a helpful addition to the PDF page.

I'm currently reviewing for Manitoba area. I came across this reviewer note of how Cache Effect would it done.

Name each of them the name of the cache followed by "Stage 2", etc., as in "*Cache Name* Stage2". Then name the final location's waypoint "*Cache Name* FINAL". The Waypoint Lookup Code should be "Stage2", "Stage3", and so on. The Prefix Code should be something like "S2", "S3" and so on. Then, make sure you hide the waypoint.

CA

Cache Agent's method for naming is far better than mine.

When you create the Additional Waypoints you get to make several things, as listed below

- Waypoint Type (i.e. Final Location, Parking, Question to Answer, Reference Point, Stages of a Multicache, Trail Head)

- Waypoint Name (whatever you want to call it)

- Waypoint Lookup Code (a 1 to 6 letter code to describe the point... i.e. PARK, SIGN, STAGE1, CACHE, STATUE)

- Prefix Code ( 2 letter starter that REPLACES the GC portion - Cannot use GC, TB, WM, WP)

Then you choose the coordinates of the point, and give an optional description

Lastly, you decide if you want to show everything about the point, everything except the coordinates, or hide everything about the point (you and reviewers still see it)

The Prefix Code is the thing that GSAK uses, and like someone else said it can be chopped off with a % command.

So, for GCNY9H - Quasy Train I could create a parking spot like this

- Waypoint Type = Parking

- Waypoint Name = Parking Lot to begin the Cache

- Waypoint Lookup Code = PARK (This will not show up in GSAK)

- Prefix Code = PA (Parking Area)

- Coordinates of the spot (whatever they are)

- Show all information

This would create an ADDITIONAL WAYPOINT for GCNY9H that would be called PKNY9H

GCNY9H is called "Quasy Train" in GSAK

PANY9H is called "Parking Lot to Begin the Cache" in GSAK.

Remember... the Lookup Code does not transfer to GSAK (I could be wrong though)

If I did the same thing for the actual cache location (solution) of the puzzle, I would create

- Waypoint Type = Final Location

- Waypoint Name = Final Location - Cache is hidden here

- Waypoint Lookup Code = TRUE or FINAL or CACHE (depending on my mood)

- Prefix Code = FL

- Coordinates of the spot (whatever they are)

- Hide all information

Now I've made FLNY9H so I can find the actual cache and a reviewer can tell if the spot is okay.

It is a great feature.. and trust me... it makes cache maintenance so much easier.

Here are screen captures of the Additional Waypoints screen... and a GSAK capture that shows the same GPX file.

f73dfdec-de6c-447e-882b-1364551d53e1.jpg

and

706fe1dd-8c2e-4b3d-8f4f-7b88d5c4a8a8.jpg

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

I'm currently reviewing for Manitoba area. I came across this reviewer note of how Cache Effect would it done.

Name each of them the name of the cache followed by "Stage 2", etc., as in "*Cache Name* Stage2". Then name the final location's waypoint "*Cache Name* FINAL". The Waypoint Lookup Code should be "Stage2", "Stage3", and so on. The Prefix Code should be something like "S2", "S3" and so on. Then, make sure you hide the waypoint.

CA

That looks really close to what I posted, doesn't it. :):o

BQ, I appreciate your explanation, but I want to add one important thing.

As you notice, I ask that you put the GCXXXX number in the Waypoint Name. This is to help the reviewers. Our tools show us waypoints of all types nearby, but if you name it "Final Location -- Cache is Hidden Here", we will have no idea what cache it is without clicking through to see what it is. by simply adding "GCNY9H Final Location -- Cache is Hidden Here" I know what cache it is without looking. It gives us the ability to speed up the process.

Edited by mtn-man

That does illustrate it.

All the reviewer tool shows is the name. It does not give us the notes. We have to click through to the cache and then we have to click through to the waypoints to see the notes. If we want to look at it, it actually adds two clicks. When the site is slow, it takes a while. Instead of "#6 - Caboose", it would be best for the reviewers if you put "GCNY9H #6 - Caboose" for the name. Same things with the stages.

It isn't a huge deal, but if you are going to add that in there it would be great if it ended up in the right place. :laughing:

Edited by mtn-man

Ok, now that we have everyone confused LOL hehehe (and a huge conversation with BQ until we both understood each other :blink: )

Lets have all the reviewers state what they want for their area....

*** THE MARITIMES AND NEWFOUNDLAND ***

For Prefix code....

Waypoints or Stages use 01, 02, 03

Finals use XC

Parking use PK

Becareful... if you don't want the waypoints and final know please make sure you click the proper option.

Thanks,

CA

Edited by cache agent