Burn in Test

Lt32

Today while searching for the third stage of a multi, I looked down at my GPSr (Magellan eXplorist 200) and the screen said Burn-in Test press enter to start.

Well, it wouldn't let me do anything but press the enter button so I did. It then went to another screen that said test starting do not disturb. After about30-45 seconds it went to another screen that had a bunch of letters and what I am assuming to be numerical results of the test, and it stayed on that screen.

So after about a minute I pushed the enter button, nothing. So I pushed the power button. It briefly shut off then powered on again and had the satellites still locked on. The only thing different is that my track log was erased and I had to reenter my goto point. All my way points are still there and everything seems ok. What just happened? ;)

It's weird that they would call it a "burn-in" test instead of a diagnostic, which is what it obviously was.

A burn-in consists of applying power to an electronic device for several hours, usually at elevated temperature, before it leaves the factory. This weeds out bad components, which succumb to infant mortality in just a few hours of operation.

The term "burn-in" is also popularly and erroneously applied to the effect of an image being burned permanently into the phosphors of a CRT display.

That isn't a burn-in to me, either. Sounds like a reset/reboot or re-sync after a failed internal diagnostic test.

(Disclaimer: Groundspeak does not verify or attest to the accuracy of posts like this. This post is the responsibility of the poster only, and should not be used to make any decision of any importance above that of which color sock to wear to bed. Do not enter into any contracts or agreements based on the information in a post like this.

This post is intended as a friendly suggestion or tip, a thought, an opinion. It is entirely possible that this post is, actually, good for nothing.

Have a nice day!)

Edited by WR8Y

ah yes, the dreaded "burn-in". mine did that daily for about 2 weeks then one day it lost all maps and no it sits in a drawer. i could never get anyone from magellan on the phone or through e-mail so i gave up 'til recently. i found a cable($25 from japan) to connect to the computer and download maps into it. i'm gonna try this and see what happens. if it works GREAT if not i'm extra POed. hope yours doesn't do what mine did.

If your unit keeps going to "burn-in" (what a poor choice for a function) on its own, call the manufacturer and request a replacement under warranty, if it still is. There may be a problem with the internal flash memory corrupting forcing a reinitialization.

There is no need for this to be happening and to accept this as a regular "feature" is very lame.

It's weird that they would call it a "burn-in" test instead of a diagnostic, which is what it obviously was.

A burn-in consists of applying power to an electronic device for several hours, usually at elevated temperature, before it leaves the factory. This weeds out bad components, which succumb to infant mortality in just a few hours of operation.

I agree and the burn-in test is sometimes just running the built in self test or BIST over and over. Its weird the tech didn't ask to run the test again so he could interpret the results.