60CSx

ThePropers

Ok, I've had my 60Csx for approximately 12 hours now. I think I have it mostly set up, but have some questions/irritants that I can't seem to find the answers to.

1) Is there a way to turn on the backlight without the brightness slider coming up? It's kindof annoying that it shows up in the middle of the screen, then I have to press it again which makes it even brighter, and then again to turn it off...and then wait for the slider to time out and go away. I really just want to press it, have the screen light up, and then press it again and have it turn off.

2) Has there been any discussion (or is there a way I'm unaware of) of changing the geocaching icons? I guess when the garmin site said "geocaching support" I assumed that the icons on the map would match geocaching.com to identify cache types, and not just have a closed and open treasure chest. Granted I have gotten around this by using GSAK to upload the type to the Notes field, but it would be great if the map would display the icons. I know GSAK can identify different ones by assigning "airport" to multis..etc, but that would screw up the unit's "geocaching" functionality, right? I would think Garmin would have to add more icons. Any chance of this happening?

3) I'm a bit confused on the "Waypoint Averaging" thing. My old etrex Yellow used to average automatically, so if I was placing a cache I'd just set it down and walk away for 15-20 minutes. If I was hunting a cache, I would just set the GPS down on my backpack to "settle." Is that what this option does? if so, then I'd want to turn it on, correct?

I suppose that's it for now.

This won't help much but:

1) I think if you turn on the backlight then just wait the slider goes away. I don't think there is a setting to change this. But you shouldn't need to move the slider.

2) I don't think you can change the geocaching icons as a whole. For individual caches you can change the icon but if you do it no longer recognizes them as unfound (closed box icon) or found caches (open box).

3) I don't believe either the Etrex Yellow or Blue did any waypoint averaging. I use the averaging on the 60CSx to get a good value when I place a cache. When you use it it tells you how many readings it has taken and what the estimated accuracy is. If you do 100 to 200 readings you can get pretty good results (under 20 feet).

This won't help much but:

1) I think if you turn on the backlight then just wait the slider goes away. I don't think there is a setting to change this. But you shouldn't need to move the slider.

2) I don't think you can change the geocaching icons as a whole. For individual caches you can change the icon but if you do it no longer recognizes them as unfound (closed box icon) or found caches (open box).

3) I don't believe either the Etrex Yellow or Blue did any waypoint averaging. I use the averaging on the 60CSx to get a good value when I place a cache. When you use it it tells you how many readings it has taken and what the estimated accuracy is. If you do 100 to 200 readings you can get pretty good results (under 20 feet).

Thanks for the reply.

1) It does after about 5 seconds. Guess I'm just used to my yellow where I could turn the backlight off and on really quickly with nothing on the screen. I'd use it all the time at night, just to quickly check things while I'm walking. Guess it's just one more button press (one on, another to go brigher, and a third to shut it off).

2) Thanks. It would be nice if Garmin would add more geocaching icons to match what the site uses (ghosts, green/yellow boxes, envelopes...etc) with a checkmark for found caches. That would be sweet...

3) I must've misinterpreted what "averaging" is but I believe you've answered my question. So "averaging" takes multiple readings and gives you an average, and must be different than "settling" which is what the yellow was doing. Is that correct?

I have one more question (I'd answer this myself if I was in the car). I was once with another cacher who had a Rino (I believe) but he had said that if he brings up his nearest caches list, the list wouldn't update automatically as he drove down the road, and he had to basically bring it up again to get a refreshed list. My yellow's nearest caches list would automatically update as I drove along. Thus many times if I was just driving somewhere I'd leave it up and if I happened to drive by a cache I'd stop to get it. Does the CSx do the same thing? Again, I can answer that easily enough on the way home, but I know someone out there is bored and wants to answer me.

Edited by ThePropers

(1) Push the quit button, turns backlight slider off immediately.

60 C info

Sweet. Thanks! I wish I could just set it and not have the slider though. I mean, there's a freaking setting for it under "Display Settings" for crying out loud. I should just be able to set it there and have it as the "permanent" setting until I go in and change it again.

Oh well...I'll file that little annoyance under "pet peeves"

Edited by ThePropers

When I turn on my 60C, I hit On, On, ENTR. The light display comes on with the second 'On,' goes off at the ENTR, and is never seen again. (On, On, QUIT does the same thing). I have it set for the backlight to come on when I hit a button. When plugged into external power, the backlight is always on.

Regarding changing icons, see question 9 of the Waypoints Section of the FAQ, but note that as stated there, using custom icons limits geocaching functionality.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Ok, I've had my 60Csx for approximately 12 hours now. I think I have it mostly set up, but have some questions/irritants that I can't seem to find the answers to.

1) Is there a way to turn on the backlight without the brightness slider coming up? It's kindof annoying that it shows up in the middle of the screen, then I have to press it again which makes it even brighter, and then again to turn it off...and then wait for the slider to time out and go away. I really just want to press it, have the screen light up, and then press it again and have it turn off.

You only have to activate the backlight once. Thereafter, pressing any key, or any screen message, will reactivate the backlight. The ENTER key (as well as the QUIT key, as mentioned before) will remove the slider. The same applied to screen message pop-ups, such as the "arriving at..." messages.

2) Has there been any discussion (or is there a way I'm unaware of) of changing the geocaching icons? I guess when the garmin site said "geocaching support" I assumed that the icons on the map would match geocaching.com to identify cache types, and not just have a closed and open treasure chest. Granted I have gotten around this by using GSAK to upload the type to the Notes field, but it would be great if the map would display the icons. I know GSAK can identify different ones by assigning "airport" to multis..etc, but that would screw up the unit's "geocaching" functionality, right? I would think Garmin would have to add more icons. Any chance of this happening?

There's a nice set of geocaching icons, 3 (unfound, found, DNF) for each type of cache that you can upload as custom icons. But the built-in Geocaching function can only work on a single icon at a time. I prefer to use the standard geocaching icon for all caches, and encode the cache type (and other info) into the cache name.

3) I'm a bit confused on the "Waypoint Averaging" thing. My old etrex Yellow used to average automatically, so if I was placing a cache I'd just set it down and walk away for 15-20 minutes. If I was hunting a cache, I would just set the GPS down on my backpack to "settle." Is that what this option does? if so, then I'd want to turn it on, correct?

Garmin's don't "automatically" average. You have to activate it each time. None of the original eTrex models had an averaging function (I don't know about the "C" series).

When you activate the averaging function, it starts taking readings every second or so, and averages them all together. It may be a bit more sophisticated than that, but that's basically it. On my old GPSII+ it did the averaging silently. The 60CSx gives a constant update of the number of readings it's taken.

You only have to activate the backlight once. Thereafter, pressing any key, or any screen message, will reactivate the backlight. The ENTER key (as well as the QUIT key, as mentioned before) will remove the slider. The same applied to screen message pop-ups, such as the "arriving at..." messages.

Ah-ha! That's EXACTLY what I wanted. I didn't realize that the light would come on again when I pressed any button, so like an idiot everytime I wanted the light I was pressing the "on" key again (which brings up the slider).

Boo-yah!

I'll remove that from my pet-peeve list.

Edited by ThePropers

Ok, ThePropers, now I have a question for you. I have considered getting a CSx to replace my Legend. You've had yours a whole whopping 12 hours, but are you satisfied with it so far? Do you recommend the upgrade to me? What was your prior GPSr?

Thanks!

LOL. I am coming from a basic eTrex Yellow. I was planning on using it for my first 1000 finds just because it was such a lame unit compared to everyone else's that it was kindof a fun thing to say "Yeah, my $80 GPS is finding caches just as well as your $400 one." Unfortunately I broke it while attempting my 800th find, but at least it was on a milestone.

Based on my intimate and thorough knowledge of the 60CSx that I've gained in the 2 hours last night before bed and the 30 minute drive to work this morning, I'm pretty happy with it. There are some things that I don't like so far, but they're more like annoyances, and I will learn to live with them. Some of these include:

Hardware concerns:

1) This morning, I fired up a cache close to work and hit "go to." Then when I went to put it in my windshield mount, I had to press near the bottom of the unit (where all the buttons are) to snap it in and I accidentally pressed the "enter" button which marked it as found. D'oh! I can definitely see that as a problem, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

2) To me it looks like the wording on the buttons will quickly wear off and I'll be stuck with a bunch of black buttons that all look the same. I'm sure by then I'll know the button layout by heart, but someone else wouldn't. Maybe they're more durable than they look.

Software concerns:

1) 14 character limit on waypoint names (although I'm coming from a limit of 6 on my old yellow one). Could stand to be 20-25 characters.

2) the "Note" field doesn't hold enough information. I have it now displaying something like this:

Type:M(1/1) con:R bugs:Y ThePro, which means it's a Multi, terrain/difficulty 1/1, a regular container, has a TB in it, and it's owned by ThePropers (it cuts off the username at 6 characters, but that's enough for me to recognize the hider in my normal caching area). I could fit more if I just displayed something like M1/1RYThePropers, but I figured having a little description would help. I'll probably play with it until I figure out something I like.

3) The whole icon thing I discussed earlier. Obviously I misunderstood the "dedicated geoaching mode" thing to be more than what it is. It's ok, I guess, but was hoping for more.

I guess that's it for now. Keep in mind those are just my first impressions of thing, and they're all pretty minor. Overall though I think I'm going to be very very happy with it. I'll rely on others who have been using it awhile to chime in, but it appears the general consensus is that it's a great unit.

Edited by ThePropers

I guess that's it for now. Keep in mind those are just my first impressions of thing, and they're all pretty minor. Overall though I think I'm going to be very very happy with it. I'll rely on others who have been using it awhile to chime in, but it appears the general consensus is that it's a great unit.

That's what I've heard overall, too. I guess maybe I'll be upgrading soon. Thanks for the info!

For the character limits, you can use "custom POIs". These allow 44 and 88 characters in the name and comment fields. Personally, I make a copy of all the waypoints as custom POIs with more information. If I need that Information on a specific cache, then a quick search for the nearest POIs pulls up the info.

For the character limits, you can use "custom POIs". These allow 44 and 88 characters in the name and comment fields. Personally, I make a copy of all the waypoints as custom POIs with more information. If I need that Information on a specific cache, then a quick search for the nearest POIs pulls up the info.

That is good to know. I have not got into POIs yet, so I'm glad to see there's some more room there. Maybe I'll add the hint ot the POIs. I didn't want to put it in the Notes field because I thought it would be too easy to see, and I try to avoid using it if possible.

Hardware concerns:

1) This morning, I fired up a cache close to work and hit "go to." Then when I went to put it in my windshield mount, I had to press near the bottom of the unit (where all the buttons are) to snap it in and I accidentally pressed the "enter" button which marked it as found. D'oh! I can definitely see that as a problem, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I've done this accidentally myself. It's easy to fix: Just display the information for the cache (it will be in the Waypoints list); highlight the "open treasure chest" icon at the top left of the screen and press Enter; then choose the "closed treasure chest" icon. That causes the GPSr to treat the cache as unfound again.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I've done this accidentally myself. It's easy to fix: Just display the information for the cache (it will be in the Waypoints list); highlight the "open treasure chest" icon at the top left of the screen and press Enter; then choose the "closed treasure chest" icon. That causes the GPSr to treat the cache as unfound again.

--Larry

Yep, I got that. Thanks!

Oh, one more thing that annoys me. I've had it sitting on my desk all day, and right above the screen (above where it says GPSmap 60CSx) I've been trying to wipe away this white dot which I thought must be some leftover packaging of something. I've probably tried 40 times today, and then just went back to ignoring it.

So finally I picked it up to take a closer look, and it's actually a small painted on white triangle there. What is that for?

Ok, it doesn't annoy me that much, but from more than 6 inches away, it looks like there's a chip out of the plastic there or something.

Edited by ThePropers

LOL, you're bordering on neurotic here... it's actually there for a reason. It's used when sighting with the GPS, see the manual for more :)

The manual is for chumps! ;) And it's at home and not sitting right in front of me.

I know it's there for a reason (now)....just didn't know what it was.

No problem, I'm notorious for not reading the manual either B)

You must have a different holder than I do. The RAM mount cradles the bottom, and the only "snap-in" point is the belt-clip button.

2) To me it looks like the wording on the buttons will quickly wear off and I'll be stuck with a bunch of black buttons that all look the same. I'm sure by then I'll know the button layout by heart, but someone else wouldn't. Maybe they're more durable than they look.

The text on the buttons (and the arrows on the rocker) will never wear off. If you want to know why, take the unit into a dark room, turn on the backlight, cover the screen with your hand and look at the buttons.

1) 14 character limit on waypoint names (although I'm coming from a limit of 6 on my old yellow one). Could stand to be 20-25 characters.

Longer names means a smaller font. I could barely read the names on my Vista.

2) the "Note" field doesn't hold enough information. I have it now displaying something like this:

Type:M(1/1) con:R bugs:Y ThePro, which means it's a Multi, terrain/difficulty 1/1, a regular container, has a TB in it, and it's owned by ThePropers (it cuts off the username at 6 characters, but that's enough for me to recognize the hider in my normal caching area). I could fit more if I just displayed something like M1/1RYThePropers, but I figured having a little description would help. I'll probably play with it until I figure out something I like.

A lot of what you're trying to put in the note can be encoded in the name. My waypoint names look like CGT1TW-TM2+1. That's a Traditional Micro, Difficulty 2½, Terrain 1. I put the actual name and owner in the Note, and the hint in a corresponding POI.

3) The whole icon thing I discussed earlier. Obviously I misunderstood the "dedicated geoaching mode" thing to be more than what it is. It's ok, I guess, but was hoping for more.

I would much rather be able to group icons into categories, and have the geocache function use the category. MapSource uses categories, but not the GPS.

Another problem that you probably haven't come across yet, is that when using the geocaching function, it only puts the very first geocache into the Recent Finds list. The Recent Finds list is accessed by pressing Find twice. It's a handy way to access recently found waypoints.

Hey The Propers,

I also got my new 60csx yesterday. We are navigating the same issues & learning curve. I'm coming from a eXplorist 500 (which I really liked, but recently crushed ;)).

Backlight

======

I share your pain here. Why can;t the backlight just come on by default?! Then shut off after xx minutes per the seting. Why the extra button presses?

Auto-Routing:

=========

I bought City Navigator Maps with my unit so this provides critical (for me) auto routing. So far, I am quite impressed. I especially like the auto re-route feature that will recaclulate your route when you go off-course. Works great & fast, especially when I know a "better" route than suggested.

My only "complaints" w/routing are: (1) The 60csx only provide a turn symbol when you get very close to the next turn . This might not provide enough heads-up to get into the correct lane, etc. (yes, there is descriptive text, but while driving I want to see an ARROW). My eXplorist would show an upcoming turn arrow for the full duration of the current segment (2) The 60csx does not display the name of the route you are currently travelling on. I really enjoyed knowing this info on my eXplorist.

Geocaching

========

This is why I own a GPSr. The fact that I can only see a useless waypoint number is a large issue for me. I am currently tweaking a GSAK macro and POILoader to convert my waypoints to POI's, which provides room for the cachename, difficulty, type & container and a chunk of the hint. This is working pretty well right now. A bonus here is that you can load LOTS of caches this way, you can search by cache name and see the 50 nearest caches to the current location. Not bad! (I'd be happy to share my result if you'd like).

Sweet. Thanks! I wish I could just set it and not have the slider though. I mean, there's a freaking setting for it under "Display Settings" for crying out loud. I should just be able to set it there and have it as the "permanent" setting until I go in and change it again.

Oh well...I'll file that little annoyance under "pet peeves"

Never give up, never surrender ...

On many pages (like map, compass and trip-computer) the Enter button has no function. Once you've turned on the light and got rid of the slider however it will turn it on to that level again without a slider.

Jan

Backlight

======

I share your pain here. Why can;t the backlight just come on by default?! Then shut off after xx minutes per the seting. Why the extra button presses?

The "pressing another key" thing works fine for me. That's really all I wanted, was to be able to turn it on once when I turn the unit on, and then again without the slider coming up.

Auto-Routing:

=========

My only "complaints" w/routing are: (1) The 60csx only provide a turn symbol when you get very close to the next turn . This might not provide enough heads-up to get into the correct lane, etc. (yes, there is descriptive text, but while driving I want to see an ARROW). My eXplorist would show an upcoming turn arrow for the full duration of the current segment (2) The 60csx does not display the name of the route you are currently travelling on. I really enjoyed knowing this info on my eXplorist.

I used Auto-Routing for the first time this morning to get me from home to work. I didn't really have a problem with it, but keep in mind I'm coming from a unit with no routing capabilities. I thought the "one beep" warning was plenty of time (It seems to be about 1/4 mile at speeds of around 35 and at about a mile at highway speeds) and then the "double beep" is at the turn. It worked ok for me. There is another screen when navigating that brings up the next couple of turns in arrow format, but I didn't look at it that closely. It might be what you want....

Geocaching

========

This is why I own a GPSr. The fact that I can only see a useless waypoint number is a large issue for me. I am currently tweaking a GSAK macro and POILoader to convert my waypoints to POI's, which provides room for the cachename, difficulty, type & container and a chunk of the hint. This is working pretty well right now. A bonus here is that you can load LOTS of caches this way, you can search by cache name and see the 50 nearest caches to the current location. Not bad! (I'd be happy to share my result if you'd like).

I'm definitely interested in this. I have not done anything with POIs yet, so I'm not that familiar with how it would differ from the geocaching mode. Maybe you could email or PM me regarding this.

Are you using suction mount in your vehicle for 60CSx? If so what one and do you like it?

Thanks!

Yes I am. I bought this one

I used it for the first time this morning, and was actually going to post a complaint about it here but didn't want to be too nitpicky about stuff.

This is very hard to explain, but the problem I'm having is that after plugging in the 12V Cig Lighter adapter, that the cord for it is now hanging down the back of the unit. Thus I can't seem to snap it into the mount because the cord is in the way.

Because of how the plug is designed, once the 12V cable is plugged in, it's now impossible to get the cord to be "outside" of the mount and now the cable is forced to be between the mount and the unit (preventing it from snapping in)

The way around this (which is annoying as hell) is to take the mount off the windshield, snap the unit into the mount, and then plug in the 12V cable, then remount the entire thing. But now you can't easily get the unit back out without removing the entire thing again.

Like I said, it's hard to explain without pictures or actually seeing it.

I'd prefer to just leave the mount in place, then when I get in the car, just plug in the unit, and snap it into the mount. As it is, I don't believe I can leave the mount attached, snap the unit into the mount, and then get behind it well enough to plug it into the adapter.

If the plug recepticle on the unit was rotated 90 degrees, (so the cord would be going out to the side, rather than being forced down the back) it wouldn't be a problem.

Now, I may be wrong because I was late for work this morning, so maybe I was just trying to rush things. I will play with it a bit more to see if I was just doing it wrong or if you can actually get the unit into the mount when it's plugged in. Like I said, I was in a hurry and it was the first time I tried using it.

Anyone else using this mount in combination with the Cig Light adapter?

Edited by ThePropers

This is very hard to explain, but the problem I'm having is that after plugging in the 12V Cig Lighter adapter, that the cord for it is now hanging down the back of the unit. Thus I can't seem to snap it into the mount because the cord is in the way.

RAM mounts are designed to accommodate the power port. You can get a RAM MAP60 holder for about $11, and I understand that someone makes a device that lets RAM holders be used on Garmin mounts.

When you're following a route, there is a turn by turn listing available, which includes next-turn arrows.

RAM mounts are designed to accommodate the power port. You can get a RAM MAP60 holder for about $11, and I understand that someone makes a device that lets RAM holders be used on Garmin mounts.

Edit: Removed my original response.

So I think what you're saying is I should get the RAM holder, then order this adapter:

Is that right?

Wish I would've just bought a RAM mount, I guess.

Edited by ThePropers

I used a dremel and notched out a section of the plastic part the 60 snaps into so that I could ge the power cord in much easier.

Caution: WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN DOING THIS.

Much like the manual, safety glasses are for chumps :)

I spent more time on the configuration before going home today, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's impossible to get the unit into the mount with the power cord attached without having to remove the mount from the windshield.

The dremel thing sounds like a good idea. I'll play with that later. It's a shame the Garmin stuff doesn't actually work together that well...You would think someone would test this stuff.

Ok, another question for you guys.

On the map screen, is there a way to turn off the little "map location" bar that appears when you move the cursor?

Also, I guess the only way to view the map "full screen" is to use the menu to turn the data fields off, right? There's no one-button shortcut that I'm unaware of, correct?

Much like the manual, safety glasses are for chumps :)

That's what I thought but while the doctor was taking the little hunk of abrasive wheel out of my eye he told me I really should have been wearing eye protection. :D

I could have bought a RAM mount for less than the $100 it cost me for the visit to the doctor.

On waypoint averaging keep in mind a GPS can't do that automatically. Why? Because it doesn't know if you've stopped moving. When you tell the GPS you want to average that waypoint you are telling it "I'm not going to move.". This way the GPS knows that the coordinates it's coming up with relate to the same point and you aren't actually walking 10 feet this way and 15 feet that way then back over here.

On waypoint averaging keep in mind a GPS can't do that automatically. Why? Because it doesn't know if you've stopped moving. When you tell the GPS you want to average that waypoint you are telling it "I'm not going to move.". This way the GPS knows that the coordinates it's coming up with relate to the same point and you aren't actually walking 10 feet this way and 15 feet that way then back over here.

Actually, a lot of Magellan's do have automatic averaging. That's the origin of the famous Hula Wave movement.

Edit: Removed my original response.

So I think what you're saying is I should get the RAM holder, then order this adapter:

Is that right?

Wish I would've just bought a RAM mount, I guess.

I have a ram mount for my 60 CSx and I'm pretty happy with it in use BUT it is soooo hard to get the unit out of the mount. It takes both hands and considerable force. I have been thinking about a little grinding down of the little plastic lug that locks into the groove in the belt clip ferrrule thing but maybe it will loosen up a bit with use.

No issues with the power cord however, and the windscreen suction cup holds like superglue.

I have a ram mount for my 60 CSx and I'm pretty happy with it in use BUT it is soooo hard to get the unit out of the mount. It takes both hands and considerable force. I have been thinking about a little grinding down of the little plastic lug that locks into the groove in the belt clip ferrrule thing but maybe it will loosen up a bit with use.

First time I used the holder, it was so tight that I had to use a hex wrench from the back to unscrew the belt-clip button, to get it out.

So I used a rat-tail file to file down the tab that fits into the groove of the belt-clip button. Trial and error will tell you how much. It now snaps in with a little pressure, but not too much, and holds it very firmly. You do have two use to hands remove it, though. One to flex back the "arm", and another to actually remove the unit. No way around that, but it only takes a second or so.

Edited by Prime Suspect