deleating found log

jaredl

so, I have a 3 stage multi. i got a log today

from someone who says they found it, althoght one of the stages was missing. aparently someone told them the coords for the next stage after discovering it was gone.

i personaly want to delete the post, because as far i care, they didn't really find hte cache if they didn't complete all the stages!

any ideas, i thought i'd let people discuss this before i did anything

sorry for the spelling, but just to add. Iven gone out and found caches that were multi's and had the final coords from the start and spent countless hours still working threw it, before i log it as a find.

as far as i figure its the same as logging a cache that was you found but was broken, and not really a cache any more. like once i found a micro that was hiden in a tree, and had fallen, out and got run over with a mover. i could log it because it was broken, the same as my multi if allthe stages arn't in place

What do you mean by "apparently" someone gave him the coordinates? Unless you know that happened with reasonable certainty, I'd proceed with caution.

A few weeks ago, my group was stumped at stage one of a multi. There had been lots of storm water runoff from Tropical Storm Ernesto, and we were sure the cache was gone. So, someone decrypted the stage two hint. I looked around, spotted the one object about 250 feet away that matched the hint, walked over to it and retrieved stage two.

I'd be cheesed if my find was deleted under those circumstances.

Its your cache, so you should decide what is valid or not, if your litmus test is 'did they find every stage?', and they didn't do that then you should delete the find. Though personally for me finding a multicache is about getting to the final stage and signing the logbook. Not that I think people should set out trying to cheat, multicaches are usually set up with the idea to get seekers to visit all these other places along the way and where possiable it should be done that way. However, some multis give off clues so specfic that even if you can't find a certain stage you might be able to skip it, or maybe if you luck out you'll find the next stage when expand your search area. Or maybe they looked and couldn't find some stage, so they got help from someone not the owner. The thing is, as already meantioned, you can't know what happened unless they expressly say what happened. Acting on an assumption of what happened could be bad.

What do you mean by "apparently" someone gave him the coordinates? Unless you know that happened with reasonable certainty, I'd proceed with caution.

A few weeks ago, my group was stumped at stage one of a multi. There had been lots of storm water runoff from Tropical Storm Ernesto, and we were sure the cache was gone. So, someone decrypted the stage two hint. I looked around, spotted the one object about 250 feet away that matched the hint, walked over to it and retrieved stage two.

I'd be cheesed if my find was deleted under those circumstances.

I did something similar a couple of months ago; stage 2 of a 4-part multi was missing, and rather than just give up I tried to find stage 3 from just the hint. I did find it, and then got to the final. It never occurred to me that the cache owner might delete the find, and I'm sure it never occurred to the cache owner to do such a thing either.

(The whole experience was actually one of my funniest caching adventures ever, given that stage 2 was supposed to be a fake toad, but what I found there instead, in exactly the right spot, was a real toad... I was in the process of trying to decide whether it was real or fake -- I was kind of having a staring contest with it, when it scared the daylights out of me by suddenly jumping right towards me.)

After seeing the log, I definitely think you should leave it. The finder went to each stage and was just shown the general location of the stage after the missing one. He found it on his own as well as the final cache.

Considering the time that was put into it, deleting the log would generate more hard feelings than I think its worth.

Here's a rule to live by.

Don't try to enforce unenforceable rules.

The simplest, and therefore the only reasonable rule for a find on a physical cache is the cacher's name in the log book.

For a multi, you have no way of knowing if a cacher found all the wapoints. Was it a group search? Did each cacher find each waypoint independently? You have no way of knowing. Likewise for a puzzle cache, you can't know if the cacher solved the puzzle independently or not. For that matter, on a traditional cache, only one of a group might have discovered the cache, but the entire group signs the log and losg a find.

Keep it simple, and if you find that too hard, see a therapist or start a twelve step group called CFA (Control Freaks Anonymous)

Just wondering what you all think of this one, similar but opposite. It doesn't seem right to me, since the physical cache wasn't found:

I am counting this as a find since we did 5 of the 6. We looked for the last one for over an hour. I guess we didn't interpret the coordinates correctly. ... Since all we did was the virtuals there was no log to sign.

Just wondering what you all think of this one, similar but opposite. It doesn't seem right to me, since the physical cache wasn't found:

I am counting this as a find since we did 5 of the 6. We looked for the last one for over an hour. I guess we didn't interpret the coordinates correctly. ... Since all we did was the virtuals there was no log to sign.

His comment of "I guess we didn't interpret the coordinates correctly." would make it so I wouldn't have any problem deleting that log. I of course would also go check to make sure the final stage is indeed there. If it was gone then I would replace and advise him to go back & sign the book and re-log.

His comment of "I guess we didn't interpret the coordinates correctly." would make it so I wouldn't have any problem deleting that log. I of course would also go check to make sure the final stage is indeed there. If it was gone then I would replace and advise him to go back & sign the book and re-log.

Finding the final stage and signing the logbook is all someone needs to find a cache. Does it matter that they didn't do every last detail of the cache?

Different story. That's a DNF in my book. I would ask the person to change it to a DNF.

first i'd like to say that the cache is named revenge and is ment to be really hard and un forgiving.

I really dont feel like the person completed the cache. some one mentiond that for a multi you have no idea if some one completed each stage to find the final, in in hte case i'd say i am pretty sure, each hide was set up to be as hard a possable for the area, and i spent alot of time scopeing out the park and looking for the right spot, and one top of that in the log the person ever said they never found the stage but were given the coords for the next.

whats the diffrence between this and someone just giving the final to the person after them giving up. i guess maybe i should go and see if it really is gone.

personal the only reason i started this thread was besause i felt they didn't really deserve to log the find if they did actually find each stage. I guess its my fault for not specifing in the description, but i still dont think it counts as a find

also, the cache was set up as revenge for a few caches i did, that were set up by local cachers, and when i was out there busting my hump spending DAYS in the same park covering the same 2km the whole time. none of the cache owners were there to help me.

that was part of the fun of finding it on my own, and the great feeling i had when i completed the caches.

the only reason the person found it is that the same local cachers took a liking to my cache and all watch it, and gave the guy help before i could tell them too keep looking or that i'd go look to see if it was still there.

first i'd like to say that the cache is named revenge and is ment to be really hard and un forgiving.

I really dont feel like the person completed the cache. some one mentiond that for a multi you have no idea if some one completed each stage to find the final, in in hte case i'd say i am pretty sure, each hide was set up to be as hard a possable for the area, and i spent alot of time scopeing out the park and looking for the right spot, and one top of that in the log the person ever said they never found the stage but were given the coords for the next.

whats the diffrence between this and someone just giving the final to the person after them giving up. i guess maybe i should go and see if it really is gone.

personal the only reason i started this thread was besause i felt they didn't really deserve to log the find if they did actually find each stage. I guess its my fault for not specifing in the description, but i still dont think it counts as a find

Well you asked and nearly everyone here said you should let it go. When you ask, sometimes you get an answer you don't like. The great thing is that its your cache, so you get to do what you want regardless of what the community says.

also, the cache was set up as revenge for a few caches i did, that were set up by local cachers, and when i was out there busting my hump spending DAYS in the same park covering the same 2km the whole time. none of the cache owners were there to help me.

that was part of the fun of finding it on my own, and the great feeling i had when i completed the caches.

the only reason the person found it is that the same local cachers took a liking to my cache and all watch it, and gave the guy help before i could tell them too keep looking or that i'd go look to see if it was still there.

So your saying you've made this cache as hard as possiable, and you don't give hints to people that ask for help?

If thats what you want to do, thats ok, but I think you should note something about 'no hints will be given, and after you found it don't help anyone anyway...' on the cache page.

Also, will the person that gave out info have there log deleted too?

I am the "guy" who helped the finder. Here is exactly what happened.

I was in the area to visit another cache for a travel bug. I met a person coming down the trail that looked like a geocacher. I asked and we introduced ourselves. Turned out he was a cacher I had swapped emails with about this cache and had given him a hint to help find Stage 1. BTW, I have helped several other local cachers with hints on this cache. And I was helped by 1701eh when I was looking for it.

He had found Stage 1 and had gone to the correct location for Stage 2 but could find no cache. He had spent over an hour looking as I recall. I offered to accompany him to the location and assist in looking as I knew what we were looking for. We spent 20 minutes looking and it was nowhere to be seen. Certainly not where it was when I found it. It should be noted that should a muggle pass through this area (unlikely but possible), the cache would be visible to them and of interest. That could explain the disappearance. Maybe it is still there but we couldn't find it.

This cacher had spent hours looking for this multi and I didn't feel he should suffer a DNF AGAIN because Stage 2 is missing. So I offered to show him roughly where Stage 3 was and he accepted. We walked to the area and I said "It is around here" and left him to his own search. He was successful and moved on to find the final, which BTW is more difficult than the first three combined. Particularly because the coordinates are off.

I personally feel he deserves the find. And I agree with the previous post that says "don't try to enforce a rule that is unenforceable".

I feel strong enough about this person deserving the find that if you chose to delete his find, please delete mine as well.

Are we losing sight of the fact that geocaching is a game????????

Tequila

Geocaching is supposed to be fun. If you place too many restrictions on logging a find, and combine that with making the cache ultra difficult, you won't find many people even making an attempt. Since you want people to find every stage, does that mean if I go out caching with two friends, and one of them finds a particular stage, I can never log a find because I can now never find that stage on my own? If I can still log a find, what's the difference between this and someone who's completed the cache before, providing me with the location of one of the stages?

The cache description has now been updated to say that the final will be moved once a month, presumably to prevent finders from providing any help to others. I wonder what cache-tech will think about you updating the final coordinates every 30 days.

I'm in the middle of doing this cache. I've found both the first and second stages, and have not even made an attempt to find stage three. I'll wait to see how all this plays out to decide whether to continue, or place this cache on my ignore list.

AdventureRat

jaredl, I really think you should consider de-escalating on this issue. You've got a cache where every single finder has posted at least one DNF before finding the final... just how miserable are you trying to make everyone who searches for this?

Much of the enjoyment that people are getting from this cache comes from the folk knowledge that is passed from one finder to the next. 1701eh helped Tequila, Tequila helped me, I helped GordEtob. Partially this comes from the fact that the coordinates to the final point at private property on the wrong side of a fence about 15m from where the cache is hidden, but also partly because this is genuinely a hard cache to find and people need hints. Now you say you want to move the final to eliminate this social aspect of caching. I personally don't see why you think that's necessary.

(And as an aside, in your log when you disabled the cache you said that you'll replace the missing stage "eventually" because you don't live in the area any more. But then you updated the listing to say that you'll be back to the cache every month to reset the final. These two claims are somewhat at odds with each other, imho.)

dave

I am the "guy" who helped the finder. Here is exactly what happened.

I was in the area to visit another cache for a travel bug. I met a person coming down the trail that looked like a geocacher. I asked and we introduced ourselves. Turned out he was a cacher I had swapped emails with about this cache and had given him a hint to help find Stage 1. BTW, I have helped several other local cachers with hints on this cache. And I was helped by 1701eh when I was looking for it.

He had found Stage 1 and had gone to the correct location for Stage 2 but could find no cache. He had spent over an hour looking as I recall. I offered to accompany him to the location and assist in looking as I knew what we were looking for. We spent 20 minutes looking and it was nowhere to be seen. Certainly not where it was when I found it. It should be noted that should a muggle pass through this area (unlikely but possible), the cache would be visible to them and of interest. That could explain the disappearance. Maybe it is still there but we couldn't find it.

This cacher had spent hours looking for this multi and I didn't feel he should suffer a DNF AGAIN because Stage 2 is missing. So I offered to show him roughly where Stage 3 was and he accepted. We walked to the area and I said "It is around here" and left him to his own search. He was successful and moved on to find the final, which BTW is more difficult than the first three combined. Particularly because the coordinates are off.

I personally feel he deserves the find. And I agree with the previous post that says "don't try to enforce a rule that is unenforceable".

I feel strong enough about this person deserving the find that if you chose to delete his find, please delete mine as well.

Are we losing sight of the fact that geocaching is a game????????

Tequila

Punishing people for luck really looks petty. The person who logged the visit was lucky enough to run into you during the hunt. It wasn't premeditated, so I can't see how this would be considered "cheating."

To put in perspective, maybe the U.S. should have retracted their victory at Battle of Midway in World War II. :)

I'd let the log stand, especially since he found the most difficult final stage on his own.

jaredl, I really think you should consider de-escalating on this issue.

My feeling (and it seems to be the general consenus) is that, unless the cache page clearly states otherwise, if you find the final stage of a multi and sign the log, it counts as a find. I don't think these guys did anything wrong or unusual based on the original cache description. The finder in question also wrote a long detailed account of what he went through to find the cache. I would have been flattered to get a log like that on one of my caches. Would we even be here if he'd just logged "TNLNSL"?

You've modified the cache page to make your expections clear for the future, but I think the existing logs should stand. I also think, if you are going to enforce having to find every stage, you owe it to the folks trying to do the cache to fix any problems promptly.

MtnGoat has hit the nail on the head.

The "new rules" are not going to stop cachers from helping each other. It is just going to emliminate the logging of the fact. And that is a shame. I enjoy reading about other's misfortunes. :)

BTW, Google "Battle of Midway". Pretty awesome story.

Tequila

firstly i wasnt rying to make a situation, i was just explaing my side fo the story, and asking for people opinions, on the topic,

As I sted a few times already, I was only posting this because deep down inside when i saw the look i felt cheezed, that someone found it with out completing all the stages and i was just trying to start a conversation about it.. i personaly dont really care if people want to log find for caces they didn't find, or for multi's that they didn't comlete each stage.

that being said I wqas planning on leaving the log, even though i don't fell like they actually completed my cache, I think they should have posted a need maintence note or a dnf saying that they were pretty sure a stage was missing then I could have replaced it and they gould have finnished it fairly.

as for not living near there any more, I ment I moved 10 min away, and dont walk my dog in that park every day now, how ever I do pass by it at least once a day, and could have easily fixed the cache.

as for the coords being off, everytime i've been there my gpsr has pointed me to the ecact right spot, so i don't know what to say if people are getting way off directions. and the private property behing that fence isn't really private if you know the area. cachers are more then welcome there

so, I have a 3 stage multi. i got a log today

from someone who says they found it, althoght one of the stages was missing. aparently someone told them the coords for the next stage after discovering it was gone.

i personaly want to delete the post, because as far i care, they didn't really find hte cache if they didn't complete all the stages!

any ideas, i thought i'd let people discuss this before i did anything

This is a tough one, because there are any of several ways by which they may have managed to bypass a missing stage (and, are you sure that it is missing?). My wife was tackling a complex multi once down near Wash., DC, and a stage turned out to be missing. However, from reading the cache listing page and the hints on that page, she was able to intuit where the next stage was and complete the multi. To all concerned, this was a valid find.

Another example: Sue owns a number of tough puzzle caches. One local cacher did not wish to solve the puzzle for her cache, and yet he wanted to find the cache, and so he drove to the suggested parking area, and he spent many hours searching every nook and cranny in an eight-acre urban park, looking for the cache. He managed to find it and signed the log. We all felt that this was a valid find. :)

Jaredl,

What about groups of cachers who do a cache? Typically only one of the group members find it, and because they are all doing the cache together, they all log it. Would you say this is wrong too?

i would say that is fine as long as all of them were looking for the same cache together, and if each person helped to look at each stage

I had a couple of multi caches (one at a zoo, the other at an aquarium) where I really wanted people to do every stage. Both of them were often circumvented, either by folks brute forcing the final or being taken there by previous finders. I let all those finds stand since they had signed the log but I then redid both caches adding in a step that forced finders to actually visit the zoo or aquarium in order to be able to log a find. They were required to have their picture taken at a particular spot and either post their picture or send it to me. Some may not like this rule, but it's my cache and so I can make that requirement. I have lots of caches you can go right at but the ones I make as multis I hope they'll be done as multis. For all but the two I described above, sobeit if folks want to just sign the log and skip the work (as was said above: this is just a game).

cgs: if someone want to make a cache no hints thts odvusly there choise, the same way if someone asks for help on one of your caches its your choise to help or not. all caches are the same. i think given by the name i wanted to try and make this as hard as possable, there for no hints, and i really didn't want everyone who found this cache blabbing all the stages to all the freinds, if people want help they should ask the person who set up the cache, and not some big mouthed caches who have already found it. how would peole feel if i went around giving out the finals for all the multi's i've done?

that being said i was really happy so many people took an intrest in my cache, but now that I see how it played out i wish they wouldn't

cgs: if someone want to make a cache no hints thts odvusly there choise, the same way if someone asks for help on one of your caches its your choise to help or not. all caches are the same. i think given by the name i wanted to try and make this as hard as possable, there for no hints, and i really didn't want everyone who found this cache blabbing all the stages to all the freinds, if people want help they should ask the person who set up the cache, and not some big mouthed caches who have already found it. how would peole feel if i went around giving out the finals for all the multi's i've done?

that being said i was really happy so many people took an intrest in my cache, but now that I see how it played out i wish they wouldn't

<snip>

Isn't that the whole point of placing a cache? Having people taking an interest in it? If you don't want anyone to look for the cache, why have it out there at all? I'd be thrilled if one of my caches was as popular as yours seems to be, from the posts above.

<snip>

Isn't that the whole point of placing a cache? Having people taking an interest in it? If you don't want anyone to look for the cache, why have it out there at all? I'd be thrilled if one of my caches was as popular as yours seems to be, from the posts above.

i wasn't talking about people looking for the cache, i ment all the people who have already found it and are now watching it so they can throw in there 2 cents everytime someone logs a dnf

<snip>

i wasn't talking about people looking for the cache, i ment all the people who have already found it and are now watching it so they can throw in there 2 cents everytime someone logs a dnf

If you take the time to read some of those "2 cents", you will notice they are from some of the most respected cachers in Canada (1701eh, may he rest in peace) and they were posting nothing more than the fact that Stage 1 was intact. Something that not only helps the person with the DNF but the cache owner, saving him a need to visit the cache.

With respect to helping each other, I have mulitiple emails from jaredl asking for help on Markville Mall, The Big Sea, my A439 and others. In fact, I walked over to A439 on Sunday to assist jaredl because his GPS was off by over 40 meters. I can't remember exactly but I believe he had input the incorrect coordinates. I did have to walk him over and point to the area of the cache, just as I did for GordEtob on Revenge. I suspect jaredl would have a lot of DNF's if it wasn't for the geocaching community helping him out.

So, jaredl, you can expect a lot of DNF's in the future.

And I have placed your two other caches on my Ignore list.

You might take the time to look up the expression "Let sleeping dogs lie....."

Tequila

I really don't get your point, I was simply strting a thread to get peoples opinions on a topic i was unsure about.

I think I have a right to want people to do my cache a cirtant way, they way it was set up. I'm sorry If I dont agree, thats its fair for peoiple who have already found it to give anyone help one it.

I personaly would have much rathered going there 3 times a week to make sure each stage was there, then having people tel others or point them in the right direction.

personaly, I think its ok, tio ask your friends for help on caches you can't find, but when its a cache specificaly designed to be hard then maybe there friends should think twice about helping them, or be more cafeful in the clues they give out.

for most of the caches I asked for help on were pretty easy 1 or 2 star caches that i couldn't ind and was going to give up on. I think that is totaly diffrent because none of those caches were ment to be delibratly hard. And I never asked for anyone to come out and help me or guide me to the right area, that was the cache owners idea, and to be honest I would have rahter worked it out on my own. plus the fact that they walked me right to another cache and took it out of its hiding place for me, just so I could log another coin

i dont really see the point, in any of this, i just wantd some peoples opinions on weather or not they thought it was a valid find.

sorry for causeing a ruckas

I don't mind people finding a cache by hook or crook, in fact I'm kind of impressed when someone can find the next leg of a multi when the previous is missing or too well hidden. And personally, I don't care if someone drives you out to one of my caches and points to exactly where it's hidden.

As long as you were there.

Now if a cache owner requires that I go to each leg of a multi for myself I will not begrudge them that requirement. If I have cleverly fudged my way through a multi-cache and the owner removes my find, I am not going to stand there stammering "bu..bu..but...".

If you want to require people to find your cache without hints or help, go for it.

Today, I found a multicache with a possible error on stage 4, and a possibly missing stage 5 (only the owner knows for sure). I was able to make a guess on what I needed on both stages and found the final cache. I still enjoyed exploring the neat area.

Would you have deleted my log?

I don't underestimate, nor have control over other people's abilities. :o

thats fine as long as you did it on your own with out people who have already done the cache, telling you where to look.

personaly if anyone can do a multi with out finding all the satges, with out help from perople that know telling them where to look, i am more then impressed, i've thought about trying to give up and just luck into the next stage on a multi, but i have noithing but respect for anyone who can

i dont really see the point, in any of this, i just wantd some peoples opinions on weather or not they thought it was a valid find.

What I want to know is if the "missing" stage really is missing, have you gone out to check on it? If you're no longer able to go out and check on the cache frequently, I think you should be prepared for previous finders to step in and start helping out, even if it's in a manner you wouldn't choose.

And given what I know right now, I think it was a valid find.