Using my new laptop with 60csx & Streets & trips?

ILBandit

I just got a new laptop, and it doesn't have a com port. only USB. I had used my old legend before, hooked up to my old laptop, running the GPS option on Streets & Trips. It worked great! I could follow along with my location on the computer screen, and the routing was awesome.

But with my new Dell Inspiron 1300, and my 60 csx, I cant get it to work now.The Streets & Trips program wont recognise / find my GPS. It seems like it won't even work with a USB connected GPS devise.

Does anyone have a 60csx running off of Streets & Trips? Am I missing something? Or do I just have to go back to my old legend, with some type of USB to Comm port adapter to be able to use the S&T software for GPS stuff again?

Any help would be appreciated, I really miss using it.

All I need is to make my 60csx work with Streets & Trips. Will the cheaper GPS gate Express version be all I need for that?

Hey is it possible to use our 60CSX GPS unit and link it with our Street & Trips on our laptop??? i didnt know we could even do that!!! if you are able to do that...can you please show me the steps or what I need inorder for it to work? what else we need? of course the laptop...and the Street & Trips software...but anything else?

Thanks for the help & info everyone! I downloaded the free 14 day trial tonight, installed it. and it works great.

I've already went ahead and bought it.

:o The Garmin Spanner program was free, and made by garmin.

CAn you please give us the link to the spanner program?

All I need is to make my 60csx work with Streets & Trips. Will the cheaper GPS gate Express version be all I need for that?

Hey is it possible to use our 60CSX GPS unit and link it with our Street & Trips on our laptop??? i didnt know we could even do that!!! if you are able to do that...can you please show me the steps or what I need inorder for it to work? what else we need? of course the laptop...and the Street & Trips software...but anything else?

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1627

Download that, install, enjoy. It converts the Garmin USB interface and data signal into virtual COM ports. You can even setup multiple COM ports so that many programs can use the same signal off the GPS unit.

Garmin spanner works very well, but what you should do is email garmin and as for NMEA support over usb, that would solve the problem without a band-aid software solution.

The garmin gps60(yellow) most recent firmware 2.40 as of May 18, 2006 Add capability to support NMEA over USB. I see no reason that we all don't ask to this feature to be added to the way more expensive 60cx/60csx.

Spanner is a good program but GPSGate is better and worth the extra money.

GPSGate allows you to create multiple Garmin protocol ports so you can use the gps with nRoute and GSAK at the same time.

Allows logging of the track

Sharing the GPS over a network (we use this when traveling with a group of cachers. Our laptops are hooked into a wireless network and we share one bluetooth gps.)

You can MUX multiple gps for more accuracy in hard to aquire areas, one gps at the back and one at the front of the vehicle.

If you are traveling with someone who doesn't have a Garmin gps but you have nRoute you can still create a Garmin output.

GPSGate allows you to create multiple Garmin protocol ports so you can use the gps with nRoute and GSAK at the same time.

Sharing the GPS over a network (we use this when traveling with a group of cachers. Our laptops are hooked into a wireless network and we share one bluetooth gps.)

You can MUX multiple gps for more accuracy in hard to aquire areas, one gps at the back and one at the front of the vehicle.

If you are traveling with someone who doesn't have a Garmin gps but you have nRoute you can still create a Garmin output.

your probably right, but for the majority of users spanner is free, made by garmin, and works great.

as I said before and will say again......

please everyone email garmin and ask for NMEA over USB. Read my above post and youll see there is no reason the 60cx/60csx don't have this.

your probably right, but for the majority of users spanner is free, made by garmin, and works great.

please everyone email garmin and ask for NMEA over USB. Read my above post and youll see there is no reason the 60cx/60csx don't have this.

How do you plan on getting a serial signal out of USB without software? Spanner does just that, is free from garmin, and solves that issue.

what is NMEA over USB? and how does Spanner program works????

How do you plan on getting a serial signal out of USB without software? Spanner does just that, is free from garmin, and solves that issue.

You should have read my other post above. garmin added NMEA over USB on the basic yellow gps60. as of right now the gps60(yellow) with the newest firmware don't need spanner or GPSgate to use NMEA interface with map softwareover USB. Obviously you have never used a magellan explorist, those can also do NMEA over USB, and it works great. I would much rather use the gps out of the box & hook it to any PC I come across and have NMEA suport, and not need extra software.

my old post: Garmin spanner works very well, but what you should do is email garmin and as for NMEA support over usb, that would solve the problem without a band-aid software solution.

The garmin gps60(yellow) most recent firmware 2.40 as of May 18, 2006 Add capability to support NMEA over USB. I see no reason that we all don't ask to this feature to be added to the way more expensive 60cx/60csx.