Where to get custom TB window decal?

markz68

I am interested in turning my Honda Element into a travel bug. That way people can discover it if they see it parked near a cache or at an event.

Where can I get an window decal made that is basically an enlarged version of the travel bug dog tag? Anybody on here do custom sign work like that? Might as well give someone here the business.

I am interested in turning my Honda Element into a travel bug. That way people can discover it if they see it parked near a cache or at an event.

Where can I get an window decal made that is basically an enlarged version of the travel bug dog tag? Anybody on here do custom sign work like that? Might as well give someone here the business.

You may want to check with Groundspeak before you do that. I'm not sure but that may be a copyrighted image.

Wow, this is spooky. We didn't meet at the event Saturday, but I remember seeing your element.

I was surprised that with all the people there, that I had the only Element. The Element seems to be a great vehicle for cachers.

Two people came up and asked me what I thought about it, because they were considering buying one!

Thanks for the info from the rest of you guys. I am off to read the link provided.

Wow, this is spooky. We didn't meet at the event Saturday, but I remember seeing your element.

I was surprised that with all the people there, that I had the only Element. The Element seems to be a great vehicle for cachers.

Two people came up and asked me what I thought about it, because they were considering buying one!

Thanks for the info from the rest of you guys. I am off to read the link provided.

I was the guy in the red Silverado with the WWW.GEOCACHING.COM in white letters about 6" tall across the back glass.

I was the guy in the red Silverado with the WWW.GEOCACHING.COM in white letters about 6" tall across the back glass.

I believe I saw your truck! I heard after the fact that there was a Suburban in attendance that was a travel bug. I did log a dog that was a travel bug. It was one of the two little white Malteses.

I made a pair of TB stickers for my car last night, using makestickers.com and the following image:

74209_200.jpg

I added the TB info and made it into a bumper sticker that has everything I need for the sticker twice, so that I'll have a spare sticker in case the sticker comes off...$4.95, includes shipping.

I am not affiliated with makestickers.com, and am not pushing them as an option on anyone, merely sharing what I did, and how I did it.

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

I made a pair of TB stickers for my car last night, using makestickers.com and the following image:

74209_200.jpg

I added the TB info and made it into a bumper sticker that has everything I need for the sticker twice, so that I'll have a spare sticker in case the sticker comes off...$4.95, includes shipping.

I am not affiliated with makestickers.com, and am not pushing them as an option on anyone, merely sharing what I did, and how I did it.

Jamie - NFA

That's pretty cool. I will have to check out that site. Someone else mentioned that site too. Is that image public domain?

That image is not public domain, that is a Groundspeak Logo. Please click on the link in my post above regarding logo usage.

I have already read the link you posted yesterday and have emailed the appropriate address requesting permission.

And wouldn't this be covered by this statement from that page?

We are also willing to make allowances for those of you who have creative ideas and want to do something fun for your friends and fellow Geocachers. The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@Groundspeak.com.

I would be making one or two stickers which would be fun for fellow geocachers to be able to log my truck. And I wouldn't be making any money so it is non-commercial.

Edited by markz68

That image is not public domain, that is a Groundspeak Logo. Please click on the link in my post above regarding logo usage.

I read the legal fluffernutter, and feel that my 2 sticker use qualifies under the following:

We are also willing to make allowances for those of you who have creative ideas and want to do something fun for your friends and fellow Geocachers. The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted.

If the Groundspeak legal team feels otherwise, please have them contact me, and we'll do lunch... :)

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

I just received the following answer from Groundspeak to my request for permission:

I am sorry but we do not grant permission for this purpose. Thank you for asking.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Michael

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I replied back to Michael with the paragraph from the usage rules that I posted above and asked why that does not cover it. I will post the next reply when I receive one.

I just received the following answer from Groundspeak to my request for permission:

I am sorry but we do not grant permission for this purpose. Thank you for asking.

Thanks,

Michael

I replied back to Michael with the paragraph from the usage rules that I posted above and asked why that does not cover it. I will post the next reply when I receive one.

Good luck with that.

I asked the person that denied my request for use of the travelbug logo why it wasn't covered in the above mentioned parragraph. Here is his reply:

That page is referencing the Geocaching logos not the Travel Bug logos. You will notice at the bottom of the page we provide examples of all the logos we are talking about in the document. The page even says, "The following are Groundspeak Geocaching logos which may be downloaded for use on non-commercial sites as detailed above".

Signal, Travel Bugs and our other logos are not on that page because that page only talks about the Geocaching logos.

Thanks,

Michael

No problem though, I will just use the Geocaching.com logos that are available to use at that same page. Saves me from having to get a geocaching.com sticker in addition to the travelbug sticker!

Edited by markz68

Just out of curiosity, would it be against Groundspeak's rules if you bought a plain new TB tag and, instead of paying for the decal, just scanned and blew up the logo and tracking number and taped it to your car's rear window? (Leave it to the dorm-dweller to try and find a "poor man's" solution to everything. :rolleyes:)

(edited for clarity)

Edited by MountainRacer

Just out of curiosity, would it be against Groundspeak's rules if you bought a plain new TB tag and, instead of paying for the decal, just scanned and blew up the logo and tracking number and taped it to your car's rear window? (Leave it to the dorm-dweller to try and find a "poor man's" solution to everything. :rolleyes:)

(edited for clarity)

Use of the image requires permission.

Please read the Geocaching logo usage terms here.

Of course there are other things you could do to ID it as a Bug.

(edited for clarity)

Use of the image requires permission.

Please read the Geocaching logo usage terms here.

Of course there are other things you could do to ID it as a Bug.

'BlueDeuce' is right. I needed permission to use the TBug picture.

So I pulled my picture. And will not use it. BOY DO I FEEL LIKE A 'SUPIED HEAD'!