60csx N00b - unlocking ?

markp99

When I purchased mine, there was a short code (6-7 chars) if I remember correctly that you would register on the Garmin site which would then give you the 25 digit unlock code.

There should be a piece of paper in the box with the dvd that has that short code.

p.s. one more thing...if you install the software and use the unlock wizard within the program it will walk you through the process.

Edited by moonpup

Holy cr@p!

After using a blowtorch to open the bullet-proof packaging, I simply removed the jewel case and tossed the remaining packaging.

D'oh, thankfully the trask can was not too gross tonite :anibad: and I managed to retrieve the discarded package and grab the unlock code.

I'm glad I asked before the trash went out... :eek:

Thanks for your help.

One quick question regarding this... I have the CX, but didn't get any map software with it (just using the default that's there for now). By the fact that there's an "unlock" code, does that mean that the internal memory (or the memory card) have a massive other map pre-installed on there that can only be made viewable by entry of this unlock code, or is said software installed later?

And otherwise... if I DO get say... TOPO or Citynav or some other software... what happens if I forget to put in this unlock code, or for some reason can't find it? Is it still useable, or would I be pretty well screwed until I email Garmin for help or some such?

One quick question regarding this... I have the CX, but didn't get any map software with it (just using the default that's there for now). By the fact that there's an "unlock" code, does that mean that the internal memory (or the memory card) have a massive other map pre-installed on there that can only be made viewable by entry of this unlock code, or is said software installed later?

And otherwise... if I DO get say... TOPO or Citynav or some other software... what happens if I forget to put in this unlock code, or for some reason can't find it? Is it still useable, or would I be pretty well screwed until I email Garmin for help or some such?

No, there is only the base map in the unit itself. Any other maps must be purchased and downloaded. Topo does not require unlocking, but City Navigator must be unlocked to be usable on the GPSr. It can be unlocked to two units only, but will function on multiple PC's.

Holy cr@p!

After using a blowtorch to open the bullet-proof packaging, I simply removed the jewel case and tossed the remaining packaging.

D'oh, thankfully the trask can was not too gross tonite :laughing: and I managed to retrieve the discarded package and grab the unlock code.

I'm glad I asked before the trash went out... :eek:

Thanks for your help.

I did't quite get to the throw out part of your procedure - but I had to go back into the original packaging searching for the stupid unlock code. I was annoyed seriously that the code wasn't inside or with the jewel box and hidden deep inside the bulletproof packaging.

Yes,

The backer card really looked like a single thickness of cardstock, especially within that heavy plastic packaging. I had no idea it sandwiched the very CRITICAL unlock code.

There should have ben a note inside the jewel case mentioning the location of this code.

It's all good now. :laughing:

Yes,

The backer card really looked like a single thickness of cardstock, especially within that heavy plastic packaging. I had no idea it sandwiched the very CRITICAL unlock code.

There should have ben a note inside the jewel case mentioning the location of this code.

It's all good now. :laughing:

I've often wondered whether Garmin hides the unlock code in their packaging that way as an exercise for beginning geocachers. :huh: In my case, the card with the unlock code just happened to slip out from between the pieces of cardstock; otherwise, I would have wound up dumpster-diving myself.

--Larry

Yes,

It's all good now. :)

I've often wondered whether Garmin hides the unlock code in their packaging that way as an exercise for beginning geocachers. ;) In my case, the card with the unlock code just happened to slip out from between the pieces of cardstock; otherwise, I would have wound up dumpster-diving myself.

--Larry

Same thing happened to me this week too, starting to get desparate then looked between the cardboard sheets and voila!!