New 60csx - USB connect issue?

markp99

I am attempting to connect my new 60csx to my laptop using the USB cable. I keep getting an warning message "External Power Lost, Turning off in 30 Seconds". The dialog box counts down for a few seconds, then USB power is reestablished for a couple seconds, then the unit repeats the warning.

This cycles like this continuously exventually the unit shuts down.

Am I doing anything wrong here?? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Note: The USB ports are fully functional with my other devices (PDA, Phone. eXplorist, camera) and utilize a PCMCIA slot on the laptop.

If your other devices are working, then your most likely culprit would be the usb cable itself. Do you have another usb mini cable (from a digital camera), if so try using that and see what happens. Also, if another cable fails you could have a bum usb port in the gps :anibad:

Edited by moonpup

Different cable, same issue.

I tried the GPS on another desktop and it works fine. Looks like my laptop is not providing correct or consistent voltage to the unit.

I did find a setup option to "stay on" upon loss of external power. With this the GPS will permit data (maps/caches) transfer, even with the periodic complaint about power loss. Data connection is fine.

Very strange.

My primary USB ports (2) on this laptop (Dell 700m) are already hosed (power works, but no data!). The USB cable/GPSr work fine on a normal desktop, so I trust the unit & cable.

I've installed a PCMCIA card to provide two ports. The note about other deviced not reporting loss of power is correct as my devices both take power from an inline power adapter, not USB directly.

I will play with pwr management, as well as Adaptec's PCMCIA USB utilities.

Thanks!