60CSx Cigarette Lighter adapter

ThePropers

I just got my CSx from Amazon today. However, I bought the "recommended" cig light adapter that was on the 60CSx's page and didn't look that closely at it.

Now that It's here, it says nothing about being compatible with the 60 series, although just looking at it, it does appear that it would be compatible. I don't want to open up the package though in case I need to return it.

Here is the one I got.

If that's not the right one, which one do I need? Garmin's site is no help, since it doesn't even list a cigarette lighter adapter under accessories for the 60 series.

Any ideas?

EDIT: My apologies...Garmin's site does list this one under a "12 volt adapter." However the package still says nothing to this effect....or is it just older packaging that doesn't include the CSx on it?

Edited by ThePropers

That looks like the correct plug for the 60CSx.

There is a four prong connector on the back of the receiver behind the larger rubber dust cover.

That's what I thought by just looking at it, but I didn't want to open the package until I was sure. But because neither the packaging nor Amazon mentions it being the one for the 60CSx, I wasn't sure.

Edited by ThePropers

EDIT: My apologies...Garmin's site does list this one under a "12 volt adapter." However the package still says nothing to this effect....or is it just older packaging that doesn't include the CSx on it?

Yeah, no one calls it a "cigaret lighter" anymore, even the car manuals call it a "12 V adapter". Looks like we finally eliminated smoking once and for all :D:anibad:

Looks like we finally eliminated smoking once and for all :laughing::huh:

Yippeee ... time to move on and kick (fat) a** fighting obesity ... since airlines use the "fuel cost" argument to charge for baggage in excess of some arbitrary number, I demand that they charge based on total "cargo" weight (passenger plus baggage). Not that I could afford first class that way (I'm 6'1'' and just inside the BMI for my age group), but it would make sense at least.

Oh ... topic ... yes, Ma'am ... my 60CSx works just fine with a Motorola 12V-car-outlet-to-USB cable. Seldom use it that way since it's usually hanging off my belt or is bungee-strapped to the handlebars of my scooter. Anyhow, I conclude that any cigarette-lighter-to-USB-power cable will do just fine. You'll find one at your local cellphone outlet.

Dont forget to pick up spare belt clips while at it.

Jan

Don't worry, it's the correct one. I use the exact same one on my 60CSx as well.

I do the same, but it's important to note that the it only works in one direction...

IE, you can't charge your Razor using the Garmin 12V adapter.... just don't work...

There must be some identification circuitry in the Motorola adapter that Garmin ignores, but Razors require, in order to charge...

Reghargable batteries will last 15 to 20 hours. (My powerX battereis will usually last 21 hours per charge) Why get an adapter? Carry a charger or spare batteries. Then you don't have to mess with the cable.

With external power, the backlight can be left on which improves visibility inside a car quite a bit.

Reghargable batteries will last 15 to 20 hours. (My powerX battereis will usually last 21 hours per charge) Why get an adapter? Carry a charger or spare batteries. Then you don't have to mess with the cable.

With external power, the backlight can be left on which improves visibility inside a car quite a bit.

Exactly. Plus I am on the road a lot with my job, so relying on spare batteries for long roadtrips would be a hassle...especially trying to fumble around changing them while going 80 down the highway.

Thank you for the answers everyone. I used it this morning on the way to work and it worked fine. They should really update their packaging and product description.

I bought the same '12 volt adapter' from Amazon and it is the correct one for sure. It is simply that the stock was out there before the new 60CSX was released. I lowered the fuse rating in mine though just for safety and never like to use them with batteries in the GPS. I am sure it would be fine but I had a Magellan P.O.S. explode on me using the factory 12 volt adapter and batteries left in. I later found out it was Magellans fault and they would not do any warranty repair as it was 1 month out of warranty. BASTARDS!!!

Hey guys, help us by answering this question: so if we use the 12v adapter...should be removed the battery inside the GPS just in case? or is it okay to just leave it inside...dont know...maybe it could drain the batter as well if we leave it inside? thanks for answering!

Hey guys, help us by answering this question: so if we use the 12v adapter...should be removed the battery inside the GPS just in case? or is it okay to just leave it inside...dont know...maybe it could drain the batter as well if we leave it inside? thanks for answering!

The batteries will neither charge nor drain. So when you buy your next charger, make sure that it is a rapid charger (1 hour) and has a cigarette lighter option as well.

Jan

The batteries will neither charge nor drain. So when you buy your next charger, make sure that it is a rapid charger (1 hour) and has a cigarette lighter option as well.

Jan

Thanks for the respond, but I already got the battery charger...and it doesnt include the cigarete lighter option whatsoever...

Here's the cable I'll probably wind up getting...

provides power to the GPSr and allows me to hook up the unit via serial to my laptop (or my PDA with an adapter I bought from them previously). This means I can use my 60CSx to power TomTom or any number of mapping/caching programs on my laptop. Certainly I could just use the excellent navigational features of the 60CSx alone, but TomTom is a little more sophisticated and easier to use/see while driving. Plus it'll be neat to compare the Garmin and TomTom side by side to see how they differ when it comes to routing. Yeah, ok, so I'm a geek... :)

You could buy an inverter. I have one I use for my laptop or running other devices.

Remember, these batteries last a LONG time. At most you could go through 2 sets in one day if you have some low powered batteries. My PowerX battereis will usually last 21 hours on a charge. It should be no big deal to have enough batteries to get you to your next place to charge them.

On the point of having to fumble and change, remeber they last a long time and the GPS has a battery guage. When you stop for gas, food, bathroom, etc, look at the guage and if it is low, change the batteries. This seems so much easier than buying and messing with a cable.

Besides, having the rechargables is the way to go anyway. They last longer and you save lots of money in the longrun and reduce landfilled material.

Jan

Thanks for the respond, but I already got the battery charger...and it doesnt include the cigarete lighter option whatsoever...

Here's the cable I'll probably wind up getting...

provides power to the GPSr and allows me to hook up the unit via serial to my laptop (or my PDA with an adapter I bought from them previously). This means I can use my 60CSx to power TomTom or any number of mapping/caching programs on my laptop. Certainly I could just use the excellent navigational features of the 60CSx alone, but TomTom is a little more sophisticated and easier to use/see while driving. Plus it'll be neat to compare the Garmin and TomTom side by side to see how they differ when it comes to routing. Yeah, ok, so I'm a geek... :laughing:

Why not just use a USB cable? Power and data in one plus you already have one. Garmin's free Spanner software will stream the data into a NMEA format for any of your other programs. If you need more than that then GPSGate will do it all.

Edited by Red90