Caches along route, distance limit?

pppingme

When I first setup a caches along a route query, I had a route that was slightly over 500 miles, but everything worked.

Now I notice that caches at the very tail end of the route are missing. When I measure to the last point, I still get slightly over 500 miles (512 miles), but I'm still missing the very tail end.

This raises the question of, is 500 a hard limit or a suggestion?

Since this used to work, I'm wondering if this is a change since caches along a route was implemented.

Yes, it was implemented after the fact because some people thought LA to NY was a short jaunt for caching ;)

-Raine

I don't get it. When you first introduced this feature (an awesome one at that) I used it for a trip I made through the southwestern U.S. in early July, 788 miles worth. Now I'm putting together a longer trip, just under 2,000 miles and I have to run 4 PQ's? You provided a feature, then crippled it? It's not like someone is sitting there with a calculator and a compass putting the PQ together... I mean, it is running on an unattended computer right? I don't mean to sound ungrateful ('cause I do love the feature!) or ignorant, but four 500 mile PQ's probably use the same server time/load as one 2000 mile PQ, I'd think.

Yes, it was implemented after the fact because some people thought LA to NY was a short jaunt for caching ;)

-Raine

I don't get it. When you first introduced this feature (an awesome one at that) I used it for a trip I made through the southwestern U.S. in early July, 788 miles worth. Now I'm putting together a longer trip, just under 2,000 miles and I have to run 4 PQ's? You provided a feature, then crippled it? It's not like someone is sitting there with a calculator and a compass putting the PQ together... I mean, it is running on an unattended computer right? I don't mean to sound ungrateful ('cause I do love the feature!) or ignorant, but four 500 mile PQ's probably use the same server time/load as one 2000 mile PQ, I'd think.

Less probably because of the overlap of area between segments.

Not the point though really. I think the number is somewhat arbitrary and is meant to represent no more than a days worth of travel. They needed to put some kind of limit on it to keep it from spiraling out of control. A days worth seems as logical to me as anything else. Just my guess.........

OK raine, one more technical question.

Lets say I have a route that is 600 miles. Am I guaranteed (assuming other factors keep the PQ results below 500) the first 500 miles OR is there any chance it could go random?

I would like to run a route, and if I "lost" the first 100 miles, I would be OK with that (well I would run the route in reverse and loose the last 100 miles). This seems to reflect what I'm seeing now.

OR, do I really need to figure out a point that keeps the route to less than 500 miles?

Ok.. lets step back for a second..

Routes can be up to 1,000 miles long, but they can not contain more then 500 route segments.

Route PQ's will not return more the 500 caches either, so keep it under 1,000 miles/500 route segments (after we normlize it on the server when you upload it)

Just be mindful of PQ limitations as well (500 caches, 5 a day, etc)

-Raine

Ok.. lets step back for a second..

Routes can be up to 1,000 miles long, but they can not contain more then 500 route segments.

Route PQ's will not return more the 500 caches either, so keep it under 1,000 miles/500 route segments (after we normlize it on the server when you upload it)

Just be mindful of PQ limitations as well (500 caches, 5 a day, etc)

-Raine

Cool... I can live with that, thanks :)

One other question, if I have a 500 mile route, with a 'distance from route' set at 1 mile, and the PQ generator determines that there are 600 caches that qualify, how does it go about purging the extra 100 caches? Does it start at the beginning of the route and include all caches within 1 mile of the route and then stop before the end of the route OR does it choose all caches closest to the route along the entire route and then work it's way out to the 1 mile 'distance from route' selection until it gets to 500? I'm guessing the former.