Missing in Action

Matata

Today I discovered that my very first TB has been MIA since April 2006... shows you how faithfull I am - no news is good news - is always been my policy... Well that seems not the case with TB "s'Geisegloeckli" or short: The Bell, who was destined to Heidi Country... it made just about 102 km and was last seen/dropped off in Canada loves South Africa GCRWZQ... That cache was reported destroyed on 16th of June 2006.

NOW... did anybody see The Bell between 8th April and 16th of June? Or has this bell rang out?

Do we have anofficial memorial for MIA TB's or even caches? Any records being kept? Any statistics of what locations are NO-GO's or High Risk Areas?

Love to hear, in the meantime I'll slot in Saxon's "Requiem-We will remember" in honor of The Bell

We own three TB's. Your thread inspired me to check up on them as they have not been logged in ages.

Saddly we report that all three are MIA (2 lost in Canada and 1 in Netherlands). The Netherlands one was muggled and the other 2 probably retrieved and never logged. We sympathise with you Matata and wonder if the whole TB thing is worth it?

Reading this tread mad me worry about the bugs in the 2 races we are competing in. Looks like one of the bugs in the international pigeon race may have fallen from the sky.

Sent out mails to cache owners and people that picked up the bugs to check.

TB's will always be worth it. Who could live without Amile's garden gnome!!!! :D

Can sympathise with you all. We have lost TF Giraffe when the Cape Town International TB Hotel was raded and live have never been the same after then. In sad memory TF Giraffe we bid you farewell… :D:D:huh:

BUT can also say: Best remedy for losing a travel bug is to just get another one.

So HELLOOO TB Mano Men!

On the other hand TB Dylan’s Garfield has travelled many thousand of k’s and with amazing pictures coming back on his adventures. We can clearly state :- Having a travel bug can be a very rewarding!

VIVA Travelbugs! Don’t let them die! Take care of them! (and their owners) :D:D

What I cannot understand is that a lot of travelbugs go missing without the cache getting muggled! This can only mean a fellow cacher retrieved the TB and never logged it. I always wonder why a fellow cacher will do something like this! I can "understand" if the cache was muggled and the travelbug stolen but taken by a fellow cacher that should know better....

Well my Camp Jeep 2005 coin also MIA or should I say gone AWOL

I thought one of mine had gone AWOL, but after a short period (actually a fairly long one!) it reappeared and got underway again.

"What A Wonderful World" has now travelled many thousands of kilometres, sending back fewer photos than I had hoped for, but is till going strong.

If a TB or two go missing - go get a new one on its way - it's seriously cool to check every so often and read about its travels - especially when they go to places that you haven't even heard of!

Things to remember when making you TB: don't put anything too valuable on your tag, so it's less tempting. I like to put cheep toys on, which has worked for me. Most have been key-ring items. The only one I had stolen so far was Arty The Adventure Bug which was a bead and wire lady-bird. Someone took it but left the tag, so I could send it back on it's way with the help of the cache owner. Yeah!!!

The best "anti-theft" bug I ever saw was a Daytona tire that the owner carried around in his pickup. Very impracticle, but who's going to stick that in their pocket :-) (or cache for that matter, the mind boggles) :laughing:

Talking about obtuse Travel bugs: my favourite still has to be :)Cindy (The CinderBlock). B) She even has kids.

Would love to hi-jack her to South Africa but wouldn’t want here ending up as part of someone’s house :)

Rather strange though, both her offspring are MIA or at least last seen in 2005 and 2004... so much for concrete bricks TB's being a safe bet agains TB Shifthas...

On the RIP cache south of Ghana -in the Gulf of Guinea- thanks everybody! Perfect place to sink ones MIA TB to peace. TB Geisegloeckli (the Bell) has joined the other 2 tousands...

I just made another sad discovery my second and last TB: Whiskie (524981) also got "nicked" :laughing: This time after a bare 208km travel. Last logged in "B&F Ceylon and St Helena" on the 19th of July 2006. WHAT is going on out there??? or is the rule simply do not tag any usefull items - not that a whisk or a goat bell are such hard to get items... well if anybody seen Whiskie after July let me know or I'll have to head of to Ghana and play Saxon again :laughing: