Which PDA

CrazyL200

I thought that when I first tried it. I always thought GPX Sonar was better and looked prettier until I got to over 500 caches, then it slowed to a crawl. Cachemate knocks the spots off it as you would expect with an SQL database.

@ stora - there are 2 different ports your GPS will work on, a software one and a hardware one. The hardware one can't be shared and is usually COM2 or HW_COM or GPS_COM. With the software port (usually COM4 on Sirf III Mio devices) you can connect many apps to it. However, some apps can't wake up this port. Tomtom, Cachenav and Miomap are guilty of this, so if you want to share apps such as these on software port with MM, or similar, you need to open the port first with an app that can do it. MM can, so run that first.

There's more info here:

http://www.fourpages.co.uk/mioA701/viewtopic.php?t=330

It's relevant to the A701, but your device works in the same way, but the port numbers may differ.

Cheers now I know why the applications where not opening the ports.

BTW I took the easy way out and loaded GPSGate. It works a treat

Just loaded Cachemate - like it, why haven't I tried that before ???

All you need now is the Memory Map Icons that open up the cachemate cache page :o Yes, tap the Icon and there is the cache details in full :ph34r:

I had this working before with GPXsonar, but it stopped after a while (reset ??) and I've never tried again !!! Doh ... remind me please.

Edited by CrazyL200

All you need now is the Memory Map Icons that open up the cachemate cache page :) Yes, tap the Icon and there is the cache details in full :)

I had this working before with GPXsonar, but it stopped after a while (reset ??) and I've never tried again !!! Doh ... remind me please.

CraztL200 and Archer4, Send me a message trough my profile and I'll sort out the script for you, and a document on how to set it up :D

Edited by Moote

All you need now is the Memory Map Icons that open up the cachemate cache page :) Yes, tap the Icon and there is the cache details in full :)

CraztL200 and Archer4, Send me a message trough my profile and I'll sort out the script for you, and a document on how to set it up :D

PM sent, thanks.

Just ordered a 150x 4GB card to try in the Ipaq 5550.

If that doesn't sort some of the memory and speed problems, it'll be a new PDA sooner rather than later. Still undecided which to go for though................... :)

Not sure if the controller chipset for the SD slot in the iPaq 5550 can access above 2GB as it was limited, unlike the CF Card interface in the expasion jackets which has "no" limit.

Also just got your email, so will sort the export script out by Monday

Just ordered a 150x 4GB card to try in the Ipaq 5550.

If that doesn't sort some of the memory and speed problems, it'll be a new PDA sooner rather than later. Still undecided which to go for though................... :)

Not sure if the controller chipset for the SD slot in the iPaq 5550 can access above 2GB as it was limited, unlike the CF Card interface in the expasion jackets which has "no" limit.

Hmm ... not sure either, so I'll give it a go, if not, it'll give me the excuse ........... :D

Also just got your email, so will sort the export script out by Monday

Thank you.

Edited by CrazyL200

Are there any high street retailers selling the Mio A701? I know Currys, Comet, Dixons and PC World don't.

I will be getting one but I'd like to have a fiddle with it before I buy... :laughing:

Why not just order one online from a reputable source, then if you don't like it, you can send it back within 7 days for a full refund. I'm sure that won't be the case though. Read the forums linked in my sig if you haven't already.

The A700 is identical inside, but it's ugly beast on the outside. They are pretty good with eletronics in Asia, but their cosmetic design bloke wants a slap.

Are there any high street retailers selling the Mio A701? I know Currys, Comet, Dixons and PC World don't.

I will be getting one but I'd like to have a fiddle with it before I buy... :blink:

Why not just order one online from a reputable source, then if you don't like it, you can send it back within 7 days for a full refund. I'm sure that won't be the case though. Read the forums linked in my sig if you haven't already.

The A700 is identical inside, but it's ugly beast on the outside. They are pretty good with eletronics in Asia, but their cosmetic design bloke wants a slap.

Just returned from the Trafford Centre in Manchester where I trawled through every phone, gadget and computer shop I could find but to no avail - I think I'll just get one online as you say... ;)

Now - where's MrsG's credit card? :laughing:

Hmm ... not sure either, so I'll give it a go, if not, it'll give me the excuse ........... :lol:

I'd be please to know the result, as I still love my 5550, and 4GB in SD would be a bonus

Better mark this topic then, it'll be the first place to hear about it :)

4GB card arrived, installed, loaded and ready for action :blink:

Going caching Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed so I'll see how good it is in the 5550.

I use an X51V with Geoscout through a bluetooth solar GPS. Works as etc...

Geoscout holds the full cache description and 25 OS grid squares around the cache/waypoints at 1:50 000.

2GB card from those nice folks on the 'bay in HK and the pda £130 less than Dell UK, £23 import duty on receipt here.

Not a hard decision to consider.

Both the pda and the gps live in Otterboxes, albeit that the pda's one satisfies the "Kirk to Enterprise" fantasies...

Just to add my 2 penneth, I purchased an XDA exec from O2 for 150 pounds plus contract ( I would have had the contract anyway) and now have a top of the range PPC. I run GPX sonar and MM navigator with a datalogging GPS and also have a TT910 which gives me navigation to the parking as well as a bluetooth phone kit.

I used to run TT on a 5550 and then switch it off and use MM to walk to the cache and this was a bit clunky to say the least.

The XDA exec seems to be a far superior PPC to the 5550, screen resolution etc etc.

I guess it is all down to personal preference, but I have reached this situation over a couple of years and it works for me.

Saying this, my son (13) purchased a mio 138 (think thats the right no) and it seemed exremely fast and a cracking bit of kit and for the money, IMHO a real bargain.

Hmm ... not sure either, so I'll give it a go, if not, it'll give me the excuse ........... :bad:

I'd be please to know the result, as I still love my 5550, and 4GB in SD would be a bonus

Better mark this topic then, it'll be the first place to hear about it :P

4GB card arrived, installed, loaded and ready for action :bad:

Going caching Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed so I'll see how good it is in the 5550.

All works fine. Speed is good with Memory Map, Tomtom and Cachemate all running at the same time. GPS gate also being used to split the GPSr signal to all three applications. Although at the moment, I'm only using about 1/3 of the 4GB capacity - 4 Memory Map regions loaded, plus a few other bits. Tomtom and Cachemate also loaded on the card.

(Ipaq 5550 reports total card memory as being 3813.53 MB, 1044.37MB in use and 2769.16MB free).

Edited by CrazyL200

None. I went for the Mio p550 and have no regrets. :bad:

Did you buy it with Mio Map loaded ?? If so, how good is it / how up to date is the mapping.

I prefare it to TomTom. Don't know how you would measue how up to date it is, M6 toll is on there if that helps? It's also very fast at re-routing if you miss your turning.

That reminds me I still need to meet up with you for a demo.

Approx how much of the UK can you get on the unit with MM?

In theory, using MM 2004, you should be able to get virtually the whole of the UK on a 4GB, but this would not leave a lot of space for the PDA to make use of for other applications and file swapping etc....

Mental note ........... will try it and see.

I have a 2gig card. MioMap British isles takes up 233MB.

I have 18 OS25 maps loaded and these take up 600MB. these maps vary from 17MB up to about 65MB

Thanks - sounds perfect.

Just trying to figure out the difference between this and the hx2790 and it is worth the quite substantial difference in price between the 2 units:

1) P550 has built in Sirf III GPS - hx2790 does not

2) hx2790 has 256 or 348Mb memory, P550 has 128Mb

3) hx2790 has a Compact Flash Type II slot, P550 does not

Anything I've missed that is vital?

I like the idea of 1).

2) Will this have a noticeable difference if just using the unit for MM and Cachemate (have seperate TT unit)

3) Is this a problem? What would you use a Compact Flash Type II slot for, given both units will take up to 4Gb SD cards?

I have a 2gig card. MioMap British isles takes up 233MB.

I have 18 OS25 maps loaded and these take up 600MB. these maps vary from 17MB up to about 65MB

In theory, using MM 2004, you should be able to get virtually the whole of the UK on a 4GB, but this would not leave a lot of space for the PDA to make use of for other applications and file swapping etc....

Mental note ........... will try it and see.

Doh ........... wrong MM :bad:

I'm happy with my Palm, others like PPC's - it's all about personal choice and that's a good thing :bad:

Thanks - sounds perfect.

Just trying to figure out the difference between this and the hx2790 and it is worth the quite substantial difference in price between the 2 units:

Have you been converted now then? :bad:

I thought I'd wade in with a Palm user's opinion, since somebody asked. I have a Palm LifeDrive and it's great - very fast (sorts cachemate data in seconds), 4GB hard drive (I have a lot of data on it as I use it for lots of things other than caching), bluetooth, wifi, plays mp3s etc.

But I really wish it could use memory map on it as I hate fugawi. I don't have the most up to date version so it may have changed but I got fed up withonly being able to download tiny sized maps to the palm and having an incredibly annoying user interface generally.

If I wanted a PDA for caching only I'd either buy a cheap Palm IIIx and use it for cachemate or if I wanted maps I'd have to get a PPC.

Lisa

Dragging up yet another old thread. :unsure:

Still using my old Ipaq 5550 and 4GB card. Still running reasonably well, but needs a hard reset now and again to sort a few issues with refusing to open MM files from time to time along with a few other "issues".

Yet again, considering a change.

My software usage on it has changed a bit. Virtually all that is used on it is Memory Map and Cachemate, along with the usual business use of PPC software (Word/Excel/Outlook etc...).

I'd like it to have all the bells and whistles in terms of connectivity (Blue Tooth, WiFi) and an embedded GPSr.

I don't want built in 'phone, camera etc.... purely a PDA.

Suggestions please from the latest ranges of PPC PDAs. MIO/Dell/Ipaq/Acer etc...

Dragging up yet another old thread. :)

Still using my old Ipaq 5550 and 4GB card. Still running reasonably well, but needs a hard reset now and again to sort a few issues with refusing to open MM files from time to time along with a few other "issues".

Yet again, considering a change.

My software usage on it has changed a bit. Virtually all that is used on it is Memory Map and Cachemate, along with the usual business use of PPC software (Word/Excel/Outlook etc...).

I'd like it to have all the bells and whistles in terms of connectivity (Blue Tooth, WiFi) and an embedded GPSr.

I don't want built in 'phone, camera etc.... purely a PDA.

Suggestions please from the latest ranges of PPC PDAs. MIO/Dell/Ipaq/Acer etc...

Mio P550 is great value, with its inbuilt SiRF III chipset, you can't go wrong with that for GeoCaching. And it can take 4GB SD cards

Edited by Moote

Mio P550 is great value, with its inbuilt SiRF III chipset, you can't go wrong with that for GeoCaching. And it can take 4GB SD cards

Every time I think about changing the P550 seems to be top of the list.

How is it with handling large CacheMate databases and large amounts of overlays in Memory Map?

I find the Ipaq 5550 I have slows down when loading big CM dbs and if there's a large amount on the overlay, in MM, the overlay starts to struggle and does a sort of flashing thing !!!

Edit to add: what's the battery life like for a long day of caching? How's best to maximise battery life - keep switching off when not needed I guess - something my 5550 doesn't like doing.

Edited by CrazyL200

Perhaps a bit late if you have already decided on the Mio but I have recently bought an HTC Touch Cruise (P3650) and it has all the bells and whistles you could imagine from GPS to phone, from FMradio to WIFI and runs WM6. It has a 400 processor so is reasonable quick and so far I have been very pleased with it. Also it is incredibly small and light for all it does.

In answer to your question yes Memory Map 5 certainly runs on WM6, I am not sure about Cachemate as I have only fiddled with it, preferring HTML files for my caches.

Edited by John Stead

Perhaps a bit late if you have already decided on the Mio but I have recently bought an HTC Touch Cruise (P3650) and it has all the bells and whistles you could imagine from GPS to phone, from FMradio to WIFI and runs WM6. It has a 400 processor so is reasonable quick and so far I have been very pleased with it. Also it is incredibly small and light for all it does.

In answer to your question yes Memory Map 5 certainly runs on WM6, I am not sure about Cachemate as I have only fiddled with it, preferring HTML files for my caches.

Thanks John, not too late - haven't bought anything yet - but getting close as my old faithful 5550 is getting slower and slower and having more than it's fair share of issues with life.

Will have a look at the HTC - not sure I want a 'phone etc... but if it up for the job then it could be the solution.