Does anyone use a Lowrance GPSr?

SilverBullets

I'm just getting started (2 finds w/o a GPSr) and have come across a pretty good deal on Lowrance products. Does anyone have any experience with Lowrance units?

It looks like the majority of the units talked about in the forums are Garmins with a smattering of Magellans here and there.

Just thought I'd try and get some insight before I pulled the trigger and bought one.

Thanks.

here is another thread you should look at as well as the ones I posted in my reply to the thread in the above post.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...amp;hl=lowrance

I have an ifinder h20 c and I just love it. I would get another in a flash if something were to happen to this one. When I contacted Lowrance support they were quick to answer and solved my problem and also answered my email. Don't feel that you have to get a garmin just because of "peer" pressure--ther are other great gpsr out there.

I have a Lowrance iFinder M&M. I love it! Very accurate. Don't need or use the Music part of it, but got a great deal on it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat!

Does anyone have any reccomendations for an external antenna while under heavy tree cover? I know they make the RAA-3 and the FA-8, but these don't seem like something I'd want to carry around with me in the woods. Any reccomendations are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Do what I did: Get a Gillson - I have 3 now and just ordered a forth. THey go for about $27 including shipping. I got mine at GPSgeek.com which is the manufacturer's website.

Also, go here and start at about post 20. My comments start at post 23.

I built a portable assembly that is part of my hydration/first aid backpack to carry the antenna - so that I don't have to. I then put my GPSr in a shirt pocket and off I go.... never worried about how well the GPSr 'sees' the birds from my shirt pocket.

The Gilson antennas WORK and work well. I have ordered 4 so far, one came in bad and they are replacing it. The rep told me that they don't like to sell the "90 degree" connector, as they break easily. (I have one 90 and the other three are strait.)

Edited by WR8Y

Theres not a thing wrong with getting an external antenna for your Lowrance especially if you want to carry it in your pocket or backpack. The only question I have is why anyone would really need one otherwise? I use my H20 in the deep woods, hills and hollers of Southern Indiana nearly every weekend and have never had a problem with keeping a sat lock. Only a couple times have I had any signal loss problems and then I believe it was due more to the satellite array and topography than tree canopy. Yes, sometimes in the woods the EPE will show pretty high numbers, but in the end it always seems to lead me to the cache.

I have a Lowrance Expedition C that I've really been impressed with. Keeps good lock in heavy tree cover and will lead you right to a cache if the coords are anywhere near right. It has many features and menus that take some time to learn but once you figure it out, it works great. I don't regret buying mine at all.

I also have an Expedition C. I am new to geocaching and have not used or seen another brand used. I have just about all of western Canada on my SD card and it only used up about half of the 1 gig card. Lowrance just replaced my power adaptor cable, no questions asked. I am happy with it.

Siddeley

Theres not a thing wrong with getting an external antenna for your Lowrance especially if you want to carry it in your pocket or backpack. The only question I have is why anyone would really need one otherwise?

Go read my posts linked to above - it's called, "being anal" about accuracy! You don't NEED an external antenna if you are looking for something and can stop and let the thing settle down. But I want mine accurate while moving under heavy cover - and since I walk the same set of 39 miles of trails year around - I have noticed a degrading of accuracy in summer. Some trails, after going 3/4 to a mile under heavy cover, would be up to 75 or 100 feet off (HORRORS!) :) ... until I put the Gillson on!

And yes, I carrry the GPSr in my shirt pocket much of the time.

Edited by WR8Y

I'm just getting started (2 finds w/o a GPSr) and have come across a pretty good deal on Lowrance products. Does anyone have any experience with Lowrance units?

It looks like the majority of the units talked about in the forums are Garmins with a smattering of Magellans here and there.

Just thought I'd try and get some insight before I pulled the trigger and bought one.

Thanks.

I have owned a LOT of gps's..both garmin and magellan...magellan explorist, meridian, sportrak, and many more...it's all explained why in another post....no need to go into it here...same think goes for garmins, etrex yellow, legend, summit, and so on....i am currently on my 2nd Legend CX...i have NOT owned a Lowrance, however I have used Lowrance GPS's on many occasions. Would I recommend the Lowrance? ABSOLUTELY !! In my opinion, it's up there with Garmin. If I didn't prefer the Legend CX for different reasons, I would own a Lowrance. Magellan places 3rd on my list. Remember, this only my opinion, others will have different opinions, read them all!!