One of the Sickest Caches in North America, With a Big Cash Prize!

Give Up? Never! Twice was the charm as two climbers (IndyMd & GoGayleGo) successfully ascended the PUC#13 tower in the Potomac River at Shepherdstown. They were ground-supported by eXtremeJeep and Snurt, and by maxBoost as spotter on the West Virginia heights. Several pix, of nefarious quality, are currently posted to the cache page, but high quality ones will be forthcoming soon.

While the team had many offers for on-site assistance in the preceding days, the climbers chose to keep the team small for logistical purposes. An over-active logistical base and twisted lines of communication could easily distract from and diffuse focus on the task at hand. We do want to thank, however, those who offered assitance, and those who watched with rapt attention from the W. Va. heights, and whose cheers echoed across the Potomac when the summit was breached.

Oh man, how funny would it be if you got the cache and then realized you didnt have your pen to sign the log. DOH!!!!!

What a hoot! To go through all the preps and frustration of placing lines just so, and not to have la pluma on top. Yowers! However, these two climbers were meticulous right down to their ball point pens. And sans pen, the support crew had back-ups. -Snurt

Edited by BJ&Snurt101

Give Up? Never! Twice was the charm as two climbers (IndyMd & GoGayleGo) successfully ascended the PUC#13 tower in the Potomac River at Shepherdstown. They were ground-supported by eXtremeJeep and Snurt, and by maxBoost as spotter on the West Virginia heights. Several pix, of nefarious quality, are currently posted to the cache page, but high quality ones will be forthcoming soon.

While the team had many offers for on-site assistance in the preceding days, the climbers chose to keep the team small for logistical purposes. An over-active logistical base and twisted lines of communication could easily distract from and diffuse focus on the task at hand. We do want to thank, however, those who offered assitance, and those who watched with rapt attention from the W. Va. heights, and whose cheers echoed across the Potomac when the summit was breached.

Sue and I would like to once again extend our congratulations to the finding team, which scored the second find on this cache in its history. We have, over the past few weekends, witnessed in person some of the blood, sweat and tears -- as well as the sheer number of hours -- that went into finally accomplishing this find. Congratulations, and all I can say is: "Wow!". This is one of the toughest caches in North America, and these folks managed to pull it off with finesse. And, the finding team won the First to Find After Team Psycho (FTFATP) prize, consisting of an imprinted Psycho Urban Cache T-shirt, an unregistered geocoin and a $20 bill.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Folks, some late breaking news, as of 11:30 this morning...

It appears that Woodlit, the eastern PA (originally from NJ, I believe) cacher who logged a DNF on his first solo attempt on Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible - Give Up Now! on Monday, returned this morning and is currently atop the pier with the cache container in hand. He apparently used a bow and arrow to string a lightweight fishing line over the top of the pier, and then kept pulling successively heavier lines until he was able to pull a climbing rope over the top and anchor it on the ground on the far side, at which time he apparently climbed the rope using ascenders.

And, this was apparently a SOLO effort! Wow! Congratulations!

In the wake of my earlier announcement of his success, Mike has had a chance to return home and file a find log about his stupendous achievement in a great log entry. We have already been communicating privately with Mike/Woodlit and have sent him our congratulations privately, but let me say publicly:

CONGRATULATIONS!

Most of us, including myself, had long ago reluctantly come to the conclusion that this cache would NEVER be successfully found by one person working alone. And so I am even more amazed! And, counting his earlier DNF -- and these DNFs are an important part of the learning curve for finders -- and excluding driving time (about 4.5 hours each way) I would guess that Mike put at least 13 hours of total onsite time into successfully finding this cache! This is actually less time than either of the first two find teams spent -- my recollection is that they each (and this is counting their DNFs) spent from 18 to 24 hours per person before they scored a find. But, they did something very important: they demonstrated that it WAS possible to find this cache without using a helicopter or jetpack, and they paved the way for future finders!

Oh, and Mike... we have a Psycho Urban Cache refrigerator magnet for you! And, since you have now met the prerequisites, I will shortly be sending you via private email the waypoint coordinates and instructions for the first stage of Psycho Urban Cache #14 -- Cliffside Catacombs!