One of the Sickest Caches in North America, With a Big Cash Prize!

Our Psycho Urban Cache #13 has been published this morning. While this cache was going thru the review process over the past few days, we had already been discussing the cache on the Northeast section of the regional forum here at gc.com, and on the local MGS forum. The unilateral feedback which I am receiving from all who take a look at it -- much as I had been hearing on a smaller over the past few days while the cache was undergoing review -- is that this cache, in terms of terrain difficulty and danger, is among the five toughest caches in North America, and may never be found. Thus, I felt that it warranted mention on the national part of forum, as well as on the Northeast section. And, to add a bit of spice to the soup, we are offering several prizes to the FTF finder, and one is a $100 cash prize. And, for the next ten days after cache publication, that prize amount has been raised (from $100) to $160!

If you wish to take a look at this cache, it is called Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! You may find the cache listing page at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4f-15f835b7155d]http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5a7fa052-552a-43d1-8f4f-15f835b7155d

Waypoint ID is GCY72P

I have a bit of an agenda in posting this note here today, and here it is:

I would appreciate it, if after reading the cache listing page for PUC #13 and looking at the photos, you could and would come up with nominations for any caches in North America which you feel are as tough, or (hopefully) tougher than this one in terms of terrain challenges, and, if you can think of any, please share with us here the name, waypoint ID, and a bit about what makes the cache so sick or challenging. Thank you!

BTW, as you have likely guessed, despite my seemingly dismissive and brutishly challenging attitude on the cache listing page for PUC #13, such as naming the cache "...Impossible! Give Up Now!", where it seems like I am contemptuously saying that the cache is totally beyond the reach of any and all seekers, my real hope is that one or more cachers (from among the type who like extreme caches) will manage to successfully find the cache in short order. I have been extending as much help to all seekers who have contacted me as I can, and I will continue to do so... On the other hand, this is a VERY tough and perilous cache. Well, we will see!

RC Helicopter with a camera and magnet?

If so that makes it expensive and exclusive to very experienced RC helicopter operators.

Exclusive is not the same as challenging!

Maybe I am missing something?

Ed

Well, an RC helicopter or dirigible with a camera and magnet was simply suggested as one of the 13 possible ways of which I was able to conceive to retrieve the cache. It is not how the cache was placed. In any case, it could take two months of practice with an RC helicopter to get good eunf to tackle such a cache with such a device. No, an RC helicopter is just one of many possible ways to tackle this cache. In fact, I hear that a team of rock climbers is planning to go after it by climbing from below within the next ten days.

And, I have been up there (at the cache placement site) in person several times in the past few days, so it IS doable!

Late edit: it is also true that at least one local cacher is considering purchasing a powerful electric RC helicopter and camera to allow him to try to grab the cache while sitting a ground level... I suspect that prosective finders will use any of over a dozen ways to try to reach this cache!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

No offense implied, but your cache page repeats itself to the point of being annoying. I think the location is cool, and the challenge looks great, but I also think you are trying WAY TOO HARD to create an "Epic Cache."

Not only that, but you are also spamming the forums by posting this information all over the place. Pick a place and post it, don't post it several times in several forums. Further violations can result if disabled posting. I have removed some of your other cut and paste posts from these forums.

Posting Messages: Posting the same message to many topics or boards is considered spam. Duplicate messages will be deleted or consolidated by our moderators. Please do your best to post new topics to the appropriate forum board, moderators will move topics that are posted inappropriately.

No offense implied, but your cache page repeats itself to the point of being annoying. I think the location is cool, and the challenge looks great, but I also think you are trying WAY TOO HARD to create an "Epic Cache."

Not only that, but you are also spamming the forums by posting this information all over the place. Pick a place and post it, don't post it several times in several forums. Further violations can result if disabled posting. I have removed some of your other cut and paste posts from these forums.

Posting Messages: Posting the same message to many topics or boards is considered spam. Duplicate messages will be deleted or consolidated by our moderators. Please do your best to post new topics to the appropriate forum board, moderators will move topics that are posted inappropriately.

Per notes which I have already sent to you privately and via the older thread on the NE forum, I have tried repeatedly to close the thread on the NE forum, but the server is not allowing me to do so. Please do me a favor, if you will, and close the thread on the NE forum. Thank you!

As for my posts to some other existing, long-running threads on relevant topics on the forum, I had no idea that such was prohibited, and I apologize if you were offended or it was against the rules; that was not my intent.

Thank you!

Although clearly a 5 on terrain. I believe it to be a 1 or 1.5 on difficulty.

Yes, you raise an intresting and valid issue here, and one which has been raised before about many caches rated 5/5. There seem to be two different schools of thought about employing the Difficulty rating, where one is that the Difficulty rating should only reflect difficulty of seeing the cache container once you get to its hiding spot, and where the other viewpoint holds that Difficulty rating should reflect overall difficulty of retrieval, and thus can and should be heavily influenced by Terrain rating as well.

Obviously, you seem to lean toward the first-listed school of thought, and I currently lean toward the latter school of thought. Interestingly, I have gone thru an evolution on this matter, and at one time, I shared the same point of view about Difficulty rating that you did. When I first started placing Psycho caches with extreme Terrain ratings, I tended to assign them relatively low Difficulty ratings. However, I quickly heard from the local caching community that since the Terrain rating was so high (4.0 or above) on these caches, the Difficulty rating should reflect -- at least to some extent -- the Terrain challenges. Eventually, I started to raise the Difficulty rating on the Psycho caches which had Terrain ratings of 4.0 and above.

Per notes which I have already sent to you privately and via the older thread on the NE forum, I have tried repeatedly to close the thread on the NE forum, but the server is not allowing me to do so. Please do me a favor, if you will, and close the thread on the NE forum. Thank you!

As for my posts to some other existing, long-running threads on relevant topics on the forum, I had no idea that such was prohibited, and I apologize if you were offended or it was against the rules; that was not my intent.

Thank you!

I got no notes, but thank you for you very nice reply. It is appreciated. Thank you too!

Ditto. There's way too much in the description. Something like this should have a nice to-the-point description. 90% of the listing is useless fluff.

I also find it hard to beleive that this is one of the 5 most difficult caches in the US, and that it will go 12 months before being found. I give it a week.

Ditto. There's way too much in the description. Something like this should have a nice to-the-point description. 90% of the listing is useless fluff.

I also find it hard to beleive that this is one of the 5 most difficult caches in the US, and that it will go 12 months before being found. I give it a week.

I sure hope that it is found within a week! I would like nothing better than that! On the other hand, it is very tough, for a number of reasons!

Thank you!

I got no notes, but thank you for you very nice reply. It is appreciated. Thank you too!

Thank you for your note, and for taking care of closing the older and now-obsolete thread (now that cache has been published) on the NE forum! Thanks! :laughing::laughing:

BTW, folks, it seems that since geocaching.com upgraded to the newer version of the forum software, we "average" forum users no longer have the ability to close threads which we had started. Thanks, Mtn-man, for telling me about that -- I had been going crazy all morning trying to close my earlier thread, all to no avail, and I had assumed that I must be doing something wrong!

Thank you!

Thank you for your note, and for taking care of closing the older and now-obsolete thread (now that cache has been published) on the NE forum! Thanks! :laughing::laughing:

BTW, folks, it seems that since geocaching.com upgraded to the newer version of the forum software, we "average" forum users no longer have the ability to close threads which we had started. Thanks, Mtn-man, for telling me about that -- I had been going crazy all morning trying to close my earlier thread, all to no avail, and I had assumed that I must be doing something wrong!

The ability to close our own threads was removed right in the middle of a big controversey about a certain geocoin that someone wanted to make. Didn't seem like just a coincidence then.

The ability to close our own threads was removed right in the middle of a big controversey about a certain geocoin that someone wanted to make. Didn't seem like just a coincidence then.

From the forum guidelines:

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

I'd appreciate it if you would avoid the temptation to try to derail any other topics.

Thanks.

Our Psycho Urban Cache #13 has been published this morning. While this cache was going thru the review process over the past few days, we had already been discussing the cache on the Northeast section of the regional forum here at gc.com, and on the local MGS forum. The unilateral feedback which I am receiving from all who take a look at it -- much as I had been hearing on a smaller over the past few days while the cache was undergoing review -- is that this cache, in terms of terrain difficulty and danger, is among the five toughest caches in North America, and may never be found. Thus, I felt that it warranted mention on the national part of forum, as well as on the Northeast section. And, to add a bit of spice to the soup, we are offering several prizes to the FTF finder, and one is a $100 cash prize. And, for the next ten days after cache publication, that prize amount has been raised (from $100) to $160!

If you wish to take a look at this cache, it is called Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now! You may find the cache listing page at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4f-15f835b7155d]http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5a7fa052-552a-43d1-8f4f-15f835b7155d

Waypoint ID is GCY72P

I have a bit of an agenda in posting this note here today, and here it is:

I would appreciate it, if after reading the cache listing page for PUC #13 and looking at the photos, you could and would come up with nominations for any caches in North America which you feel are as tough, or (hopefully) tougher than this one in terms of terrain challenges, and, if you can think of any, please share with us here the name, waypoint ID, and a bit about what makes the cache so sick or challenging. Thank you!

BTW, as you have likely guessed, despite my seemingly dismissive and brutishly challenging attitude on the cache listing page for PUC #13, such as naming the cache "...Impossible! Give Up Now!", where it seems like I am contemptuously saying that the cache is totally beyond the reach of any and all seekers, my real hope is that one or more cachers (from among the type who like extreme caches) will manage to successfully find the cache in short order. I have been extending as much help to all seekers who have contacted me as I can, and I will continue to do so... On the other hand, this is a VERY tough and perilous cache. Well, we will see!

I think if you are goin gto put out a hard one you shoul put it where everyone can see it if you are going to make it so hard and put it in the forums. At least let us see how hard it is.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

I'd appreciate it if you would avoid the temptation to try to derail any other topics.

Thanks.

Thanks! :laughing: I never mind a bit of healthy topic drift, and in fact, I feel thatsome degree of topic drift or thread drift is normal and fun, but that particular response about the thread-closing matter was really out of left field and it seemed like the poster really had a thorn in his/her side about it.

The listing is very repetitive, seems overfilled with hyperbole, and may take up to 12 months to read...

The listing may take up to 12 months to read, is very repetitive, and seems overfilled with hyperbole...

The listing seems overfilled with hyperbole, may take up to 12 months to read, and is very repetitive...

The listing is very repetitive, seems overfilled with hyperbole, and may take up to 12 months to read...

The listing may take up to 12 months to read, is very repetitive, and seems overfilled with hyperbole...

The listing seems overfilled with hyperbole, may take up to 12 months to read, and is very repetitive...

Outside of that, it looks like a cool place to put a cache...the difficulty probably isn't that high, and there are certainly caches with terrain as tough scattered across the USA and Canada...

Jamie - NFA

Outside of that, it looks like a cool place to put a cache...the difficulty probably isn't that high, and there are certainly caches with terrain as tough scattered across the USA and Canada...

Jamie - NFA

D'ya think?

If it was April 1st, I know what I would think.

I don't want you to think I'm critiquing your hide, cuz I'm not. I'm jealous that you have structures like that available to you. :anibad:

I do, however, wish to whine about the 80 gazillion paragraphs of carp I had to read to get to the bottom. That page could've been done in a single paragraph, and the community would've thanked you. Also, it seems to be way over rated, according to our current rating system. I punched in the following, (at end of rant), after reading the God awfully long page, and the ratings generator called it a 1/5. While the fact that you might have to free climb 150' might up it a bit, it sure as heck doesn't push it up to a 5/5. I might've accepted this rating if you had placed a plaque on top of the piling with a note engraved on it saying, "Oops, wrong pillar. You want the one to your East".

Geocache Rating System

Answer the following questions based on the most difficult parts of the cache:

Is specialized equipment required?

Yes

Is an overnight stay likely?

No

What is the length of the hike?

Less than 1/2 mile

What is the trail like?

Trail? What trail?

There is no real trail. Wheels are out. May be following a stream bed or be very rocky.

Is the path bushy or overgrown?

Not at all

What is the terrain elevation like?

Severe elevation changes

The only way up the slope is to use your hands. Going down may require the use of your backside.

How easy is it to find the cache?

Cache is in plain sight or location is fairly obvious.

Edited by Clan Riffster

As far as the difficulty rating goes, I discussed this very same issue at length with several folks. Folks that have been around for a while and have thought greatly about such things. Their thinking boils down to:

"Difficulty is how hard it is to put your eyes on it while Terrain is how hard it is to put your hands on it."

Now, the cache I have planned is a little different in that it is in plain site from many ten's of feet away. Not difficult at all to know, not guess, where it is. Sure, it could be a decoy, but it's not. No funny business or "creative hide techniques" involved at all.

The problem is reaching it. In the middle of a lake and up a sheer concrete piling. Not even a bit of land to stand on. Nothing.

It was deemed a 1 difficulty because of the sheer ease of finding it, but a 5 terrain because of the difficulty in reaching it.

As far as the difficulty rating goes, I discussed this very same issue at length with several folks. Folks that have been around for a while and have thought greatly about such things. Their thinking boils down to:

"Difficulty is how hard it is to put your eyes on it while Terrain is how hard it is to put your hands on it."

Now, the cache I have planned is a little different in that it is in plain site from many ten's of feet away. Not difficult at all to know, not guess, where it is. Sure, it could be a decoy, but it's not. No funny business or "creative hide techniques" involved at all.

The problem is reaching it. In the middle of a lake and up a sheer concrete piling. Not even a bit of land to stand on. Nothing.

It was deemed a 1 difficulty because of the sheer ease of finding it, but a 5 terrain because of the difficulty in reaching it.

CR, this sounds great! PLEASE make sure to let me know if and when you place this cache! It would, for me, be worth a trip to SC (and I could stop in NC along the way and do the two Holy Wastewater caches...)! I guess the big challenge for you at this time is figuring out how to place it! Best of luck with this!

CR, did he EVER find it? HE kinda looks like me, when I get frustrated...constantly looking in tyhe same place

That wasn't me, but I know what you're talking about. I get in a rut sometimes and seems as though I couldn't find my butt with either hand. It's not until I sit back and ponder the area that inspiration hits.

Thanks.

Thanks! :anibad: I never mind a bit of healthy topic drift, and in fact, I feel thatsome degree of topic drift or thread drift is normal and fun, but that particular response about the thread-closing matter was really out of left field and it seemed like the poster really had a thorn in his/her side about it.

I have let it go. I'm not bitter. There is no thorn in my side. I was not trying to derail any other topics. I simply made a statement of fact regarding when the ability to close our own posts disappeared, and interjected one line of opinion to it. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Sorry, I've just gotta get this off my chest here. Albeit this is an AWESOME idea, and I'd LOVE the chance to go for it (I like mountain climbing... I'd try to go up the side of it :anibad:)... something is just... off about it.

For being the arguably most extreme, hard-to-get cache on earth, that requires risking your life quite thoroughly... or failing that renting a helecopter or some other flying device... a hundred and 60 dollar prize is in my opinion hideously, HIDEOUSLY pathetisad for what the finder has to go through. For one... renting any kind of helecopter and pilot would cost thousands of dollars. Climbing it would require equipment costing easily several hundred or thousand dollars in itself.

I've seen caches that were 2/2 star with bigger FTF prizes than that. The hundred sixty bucks just seems kinda... not fitting of the insane, brutal, leviathanian effort required to get it.

Edit: Just thought I'd add... the fact that there's not a bigger FTF prize wouldn't necessarily stop me from going after it if I wasn't in Canada... it'd just kinda be a bit of an anticlimax is all.

Edited by Kabuthunk

Sorry, I've just gotta get this off my chest here. Albeit this is an AWESOME idea, and I'd LOVE the chance to go for it (I like mountain climbing... I'd try to go up the side of it :huh:)... something is just... off about it.

For being the arguably most extreme, hard-to-get cache on earth, that requires risking your life quite thoroughly... or failing that renting a helecopter or some other flying device... a hundred and 60 dollar prize is in my opinion hideously, HIDEOUSLY pathetisad for what the finder has to go through. For one... renting any kind of helecopter and pilot would cost thousands of dollars. Climbing it would require equipment costing easily several hundred or thousand dollars in itself.

I've seen caches that were 2/2 star with bigger FTF prizes than that. The hundred sixty bucks just seems kinda... not fitting of the insane, brutal, leviathanian effort required to get it.

Edit: Just thought I'd add... the fact that there's not a bigger FTF prize wouldn't necessarily stop me from going after it if I wasn't in Canada... it'd just kinda be a bit of an anticlimax is all.

So you climb mountains for all that cash that's at the summit? :laughing:

Dang, I climbed all the wrong mountains in my misspent youth!

...or some will go for it just because it's there.

The money wouldn't even enter into my thinking. The challenge of grabbing it would be the fun!

Yes, same here! As I have said on the threads about cash in caches many times, if I happen to seek a cache that has money as a booty item, I seek the cache for the fun of the cache and the hunt (I primarily seek only extreme caches, while my wife Sue seeks primarly puzzle caches...) and not for any cash prize.

In the case of my PUC #13 cache, I offered the cache to the extreme geocache community as a gift from my heart, for the fun of it, and for the pirceless joy of reading of the attempts -- whether ultimately failed or successful -- to find it, and maybe even getting to witness some of the attempts personally! The prizes -- and particularly the FTF cash prize, were offered only as an aferthought, again as a gift from the heart, and I certainly have no impression that anyone whould bother to seek the cache just for the cash prize (nor for the geocoin!)

Of all the rock faces and mountains that I have climbed as a rock climber, and of all of the caves in which I have caved, and of all the extreme geocaches which i have found in really sick places, I have never done any of them for a cash prize, but rather for the fun of doing them! If there did happen to be a prize, that was just icing on the cake!

Perhaps I should rephrase my position on the subject.

Note the 'edit' portion of my post for starters, where I indicate it's the anticlimax, not the cache or the prize I'm referring to.

That said... I think namiboy said it the simplest:

"big cash prize"+"$100"=does not compute.

Basically... it's not the fact that it's 100 (or 160) dollars as the FTF prize that I find unfitting here. It's the fact that the cache keeps reiterating that there's a BIG PRIZE!!!1!11!!!one!!1! for the FTF. The FTF prize of a hundred bucks just doesn't come close to living up to the hype that is being built up around it.

So in retrospect... it's the overhype of the FTF prize that's unfitting of the cache... not the prize itself. As stated earlier... given the chance and means to go for this cache, I would regardless of a prize or not. It's rare that I even take anything from a cache to begin with. What I like best about geocaching is the journey and the act of finding than the contents of the cache itself. The only problem with this cache is the overhype of the FTF prize. It just seems quite unusual for someone who stated that they got three different crews to work on multiple occasions for this cache to keep saying that 100 is a large number.

Note the 'edit' portion of my post for starters, where I indicate it's the anticlimax, not the cache or the prize I'm referring to.

Basically... it's not the fact that it's 100 (or 160) dollars as the FTF prize that I find unfitting here. It's the fact that the cache keeps reiterating that there's a BIG PRIZE!!!1!11!!!one!!1! for the FTF. The FTF prize of a hundred bucks just doesn't come close to living up to the hype that is being built up around it.

So in retrospect... it's the overhype of the FTF prize that's unfitting of the cache... not the prize itself. As stated earlier... given the chance and means to go for this cache, I would regardless of a prize or not. It's rare that I even take anything from a cache to begin with. What I like best about geocaching is the journey and the act of finding than the contents of the cache itself. The only problem with this cache is the overhype of the FTF prize. It just seems quite unusual for someone who stated that they got three different crews to work on multiple occasions for this cache to keep saying that 100 is a large number.

Guess it's all perspective. I often spend over $100. on a dinner tab.

However, I have never gotten a dime as an FTF prize from any cache.

So, as relates to geocaching FTFs, $160. is a HUGE prize!

Ed

Yes, I agree that in the world of high finance or corporate contests, $100 or $160 is not much money. Howerver, in the world of geo swag and geo prizes, which at best is usually exemplified by dollar store items and more often is dominated by broken toys from McDonalds, a prize or swag item of that size is indeed large, in my view. And most of the local cachers in this region seem to agree.

BTW, not sure what you are talking about regarding the web page: nowhere on the cache listing page does it use the terms "Big prize" or "large prize" or "big cash prize". To my memory, the only place where I employed this terminology was in the subtitle of this thread. However, as I noted above, the reality is that in the geo world, such amounts actually are large prizes.

...or some will go for it just because it's there.

I would, without an FTF prize.

and...

If I were looking to leave a big FTF prize, $160 is outside what I'd be able to afford.

Yes, exactly... I too would never seek a cache for a cash prize, but rather for the sake of seeking a good cache and the adventure in getting there (I tend to seek primarily only extreme geocaches, while my wife Sue tends to focus primarily on puzzle caches).

And, as for the amount of the FTF cash prize, yes, I normally cannot afford to offer a cash prize that large, but I had already spent many hundreds of dollars and over 40 hours of research in placing this cache, and I still had a bit of money left in the budget which I had allocated for placing this cache, and so I decided to offer the cash prize as an afterthought, as a gift from my heart to the geo community, and particularly to cachers who are wild enuf to go after this one. For me, the fun of placing extreme caches is the priceless joy in reading (and hearing) the tales of the adventures of the seekers -- whether they ultimately file a DNF or a find -- while they pursue these caches! For me, this is priceless!

Guess it's all perspective. I often spend over $100. on a dinner tab.

However, I have never gotten a dime as an FTF prize from any cache.

So, as relates to geocaching FTFs, $160. is a HUGE prize!

Ed

Yes, I see it much the same way! While I do not tend to spend over $100 on a dinner tab, I sure know plenty of people who do so, and who often spend $500 or more on a single night out on the town. And, I know plenty of people who spend from $60 to $140 per hour to rent a jetski or powerboat while fishing or on vacation, or who will spend $500 or more to charter a fishing boat for a few hours of fishing in Baltimore Harbor. I had a cousin who died recently, a really nice guy, and he always useta to brag to me that he was what he called a "simple blue-collar guy" (he worked in a muffler repair shop) with a "limited income" (his words), and he told me that he thus had very little income on which to support himeslf and his family, but he constantly reminded me that he nonetheless managed to do all that with ease and to also sink over $6,000 per year into the one hobby that was the joy of his life, which was stock car racing.

And yes, in the geo world, either $100 or $160 counts as a huge cash prize!

BTW, not sure what you are talking about regarding the web page: nowhere on the cache listing page does it use the terms "Big prize" or "large prize" or "big cash prize". To my memory, the only place where I employed this terminology was in the subtitle of this thread.

Unfortunately, due to me being brutally broke right now for multiple unrelated complications coming up at the exact same time... I can't afford premium membership at this time, hence only what I see on the message board is what I'm capable of going off of :{

Why do I live so far down south, so many miles from the Psycho Urban Series. One summer, I will have to vacation in the area and hunt for as many as possible. #13's going on my watchlist. It looks like great fun. Thanks for putting it out there!

Thank you. You are welcome! As you have likely guessed, I place these things for the joy of hearing the tales of the seekers who go after them (or maybe even getting to watch the adventure as I sit on the sidelines), regardless of whether their adventure ends in a DNF or in a find. And, if you ever come up to this area to hunt this cache, I wish you the very best and will offer you every assistance that I can, as I offer to all seekers!