Diversity in Geocaching?

CelticFC

Hello everyone. First I must say that I am fully aware that there may have been discussions like this in the past, but I am relatively new to Geocaching and I am simply curious. I attended the 2006 Fall Picnic here in Indiana this past weekend and I had a great time. I really didn't know what to expect and quite frankly, I didn't know if I would fit in. Being a black man, I had people tell me all sorts of things growing up. However, I am more than impressed at the fact that even though I was the only black person there (to my knowledge), I never felt left out, like a token, or shunned in any way...I was a cacher.

However, I am curious about two things: 1) are there other cachers of color out there in Indiana and 2) what can I do to help raise awareness in the minority communities about this awesome sport? Thank you, my friends for the love and acceptance I felt this past weekend. I am anxiously awaiting any advice, responses, or thoughts :(

CelticFC

We are a rather monochromatic group but very diverse otherwise. As you've probably noticed there is a healthy spread of ages and economic levels in geocaching but racially we tend towrds the bleachy side of the scale.

I present myself as an example, I'm as white as the driven slush but have to work two or more jobs to keep going. I cache when I can with my little yellow eTrex held together with electrical tape. I sometimes go caching with folks who have more invested in their dashboard than I have in my home. Such is the nature of this game but it is still enjoyable at almost any economic level.

You've probably noticed that physically we cover all ages and all body types. For some of us caching is the most exercise we can get, for others a 20-mile hike uphill both ways in the snow while fighting grizzlies is a normal day in the park.

As for appealing to other racial groups ... time will tell. It's a geeky hobby that has little in the way of glitz or glamor so there isn't much commercial appeal to sell. Many of the players are often hikers and outdoorsy types or techno-geeks who want to become a tad more outdoorsy. We often wear pocket protectors with our flannel shirts. There is the sad business of many places being not as friendly and trusting of those whose skin is any darker than George Hamilton's.

Other than that, welcome aboard. HAve fun! And holler if you're ever in Indy.

However, I am curious about two things: 1) are there other cachers of color out there in Indiana and 2) what can I do to help raise awareness in the minority communities about this awesome sport? Thank you, my friends for the love and acceptance I felt this past weekend. I am anxiously awaiting any advice, responses, or thoughts :(

CelticFC

Eventually, we'll make it to an event. In five years, Tracy and I have been to one event. To answer your question, yes.......

37846b9a-d5b4-4271-814a-914ebbb7774a.jpg

This is a little off the subject but I still think your wedding should be an EVENT. I really need an excuse to journey to florida. Your honeymoon car could be a TB and we could start it on it's journey a day before your wedding and then you could chase it all over the state from cache to cache. Now would could be more appealing than that.

I have often said that cachers in general are the best people I have ever met. Of all the individuals at the picnic I did not know one of them before Geocaching. In my round about way I guess I am trying to say that cachers are simply cachers and religion, race or sex does not matter a whole lot. You may be black but I am Catholic. So let's have a beer together and talk about Notre Dame. Oh by the way tell your fiance not to blurt out the answers to my questions anymore. She is just too smart for my questions.

Deermark

Now that's what I'm talking about: Good, lively banter with caching buddies! I agree with you, Deermark...although I'm not going to push Strohem too much...I'm gonna have to live with her! Any other takers to this question? By the way, thanks for responding Team Tecmage! Hope to see you soon! By the way Torry, keep harassing Strohem about getting into the forums more! :(

Not sure where your from, but another great event is coming up. The (NEI-GEO) 2nd Annual Pokagon Cacher's Campout! (GCV9PZ) I'll be on site 240, love to see ya out there. Last year was a great time in a beautiful park, I'm sure this year will be just as great.

Techmage, grab up the wife and kids and come on out. The Duckms, InButterfly, 3blindmice, Ravenhwk, T&G and Trailblazertwo, all cachers from our area will be there. It would sure be great to have you there too. Lets make a big party out of this event for us Northwestern cachers!

Not sure where your from, but another great event is coming up. The (NEI-GEO) 2nd Annual Pokagon Cacher's Campout! (GCV9PZ) I'll be on site 240, love to see ya out there. Last year was a great time in a beautiful park, I'm sure this year will be just as great.

Techmage, grab up the wife and kids and come on out. The Duckms, InButterfly, 3blindmice, Ravenhwk, T&G and Trailblazertwo, all cachers from our area will be there. It would sure be great to have you there too. Lets make a big party out of this event for us Northwestern cachers!

Thanks for the shout out 501_Gang! It sure was a lot of fun. We have lots of new faces signed up, and would LOVE to see more!!!

Hello There CelticFC! I would like to add to this topic. I am considered a minority. I am from Brazil, a "latina"...I totally understand what you mean by this. I sometimes feel exactly how you described. For me it is a little worse, including the language barrier. I am always afraid to mess up somehow :laughing:

But, I've learned that the geocaching community is pretty opened to different points of view. I think diversity is very important to this hobby.

See you around.

Ana

Edited by anabel

Hello There CelticFC! I would like to add to this topic. I am considered a minority. I am from Brazil, a "latina"...I totally understand what you mean by this. I sometimes feel exactly how you described. For me it is a little worse, including the language barrier. I am always afraid to mess up somehow :laughing:

But, I've learned that the geocaching community is pretty opened to different points of view. I think diversity is very important to this hobby.

See you around.

Ana

Hey, I'm from the US and I get the lanugage wrong myself! So don't let that stop you from coming to events.

I can tell you that from the events I've gone to, everybody welcomes everybody. Our first event I would have thought I knew them for years.

Color, nationality, religion, sexual preferance is only a label if you let be one. We enjoy meeting other cachers, no matter who they are. So come on out to the events and look us up!

However, I am curious about two things: 1) are there other cachers of color out there in Indiana and 2) what can I do to help raise awareness in the minority communities about this awesome sport? responses, or thoughts :anibad:

CelticFC

Hey CelticFC - Glad you enjoyed the picnic!

1. My Garmin is BLUE, what color is yours?..... :P

2. shhhhh....The Magellan users start getting testy when you call them minorities .... :D:D

Welcome to the hobby. Although we are white we do have a little difference than others. Jeremiah is physically handicapped. Sometimes we get the look of Well then how do you cache but most the times people are very accepting and do everything they can to make Jeremiah feel more than Welcome. So I would say Don't Worry. Really it's about time we are all the same anyway. Doesn't matter what color when you cut yourself you bleed red.

However, I am curious about two things: 1) are there other cachers of color out there in Indiana and 2) what can I do to help raise awareness in the minority communities about this awesome sport? responses, or thoughts :)

CelticFC

Hey CelticFC - Glad you enjoyed the picnic!

1. My Garmin is BLUE, what color is yours?..... ;)

2. shhhhh....The Magellan users start getting testy when you call them minorities .... B);)

Hey Bean Blossom Gang, my Garmin is blue as well!...I think they just hate us because they aint us! B)

CelticFC,

From my owner logs, I see that you were out in my neck of the woods makin friends. I know exactly which house you were talking about. If I could, I would buy that one in a heartbeat. It even comes with it's own ISQ in the backyard! ;)

I work just south of Fishers so lets have beer at Alibi's sometime.

Sorry, I can't speak very well as to the diversity of geocachers, but I have seen some in the geocaches themselves. Here are couple that stand out in my mind:

Indiana Spirit Quest #280:PC Correct or Incorrect?

Indiana Spirit Quest #282: Confederate Railroad

In the case of hte latter, while I did expect this section of the cemetery to be fully integrated, I did not anticipate that the Confederate graves would be intermingled with the Union. I was not even aware of the 28th US Colored Troops. What are the chances that three would be here together? Both were very unique sites and must-do's :). Check them out when you are back out west.

R2

Edited by Rupert2

Thanks Rupert! I would love to grab a beer with you! Also, Strohem and I will definitely check out those caches...I loved the Danville area! I had never really been out there, but because of work, I was able to get out there and do a little cachin'! I had mixed success so I'll have to do better next time! :o Thanks my friend, and just tell me when you would like to get together!

Thanks for the invite but I will be playing host for an IEEE event that day. :o

Thanks for the invite but I will be playing host for an IEEE event that day. :)

Hope to run into you guys at an event or on the trails sometime Tech. Keep an eye out on the events. The October Meet and Eat GCXT8F is coming up at the Mad Anthony's Lake City Tap House in Warsaw, Indiana on 10/21/2006. We are planning on going there too.