Garmin 60CSX - USB Cable Q?

markp99

I cannot find any pictures, even in the users guide.

Can someone please confirm that the USB cable designated for this unit uses a proprietary connector on the GPSr-end (vs ~mini-USB)?

I just ordered a new unit to replace my crushed eXporist 500. I'd like to get the car adapter to go with this unit. This is what I see on Amazon:

B00005B8M3.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Is this the right one?

Thanks!

That cable does work on 60CSX, but it probably doesn't do what you think. That's cigarette power - not USB. If you're looking for just power, that cable would do. (Though I'd probably buy the equivalent cable from gpsgeek.)

The 60CSX comes with a USB cable and, as discussed many times in this group, is a standard USB Mini B available from a number of places. If you want to power that model from USB, you can do that with the supplied cable and any of the 12VDC->USB plugs commonly available for PDA or Ipod-like substances.

Thanks, Robert.

I guess my question was a bit convoluted. Sorry.

Yes, the cable depicted is not USB :D; I was really asking about the 60csx's interface (the depicted variety vs USB mini). So, from your response, I guess it supports BOTH. Correct?

So, a 12VDC -> USB will work here? Interesting & convenient.

I understand from what I've read the car adapter will not charge onboard rechargeable batteries. Is this correct as well?

Thanks for the assist.

I cannot find any pictures, even in the users guide.

Can someone please confirm that the USB cable designated for this unit uses a proprietary connector on the GPSr-end (vs ~mini-USB)?

I just ordered a new unit to replace my crushed eXporist 500. I'd like to get the car adapter to go with this unit. This is what I see on Amazon:

B00005B8M3.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Is this the right one?

Thanks!

This will power your unit only. It will not provide data transfer. This is not a USB connector. The USB connector is not proprietary. It is a universal connector.

If you want data transfer in your vehicle (portable or laptop computer), the chord is similar to the one pictured, but it has an additional seriel port connector which goes from the data plug to the computer. I'm not aware of a usb connector for the vehicle adaptor.

I was really asking about the 60csx's interface (the depicted variety vs USB mini). So, from your response, I guess it supports BOTH.
Yes, the 60CSX can derive power from either the round four port connector or from the power rails of the USB connector. (I've submitted that to Sputnik57 for inclusion in the FAQ.)
So, a 12VDC -> USB will work here? Interesting & convenient.
Yep.
I understand from what I've read the car adapter will not charge onboard rechargeable batteries. Is this correct as well?
Correct. Almost no devices that accept solely commodity batteries (as opposed to what's obviously AA's in a special carrier) will charge in the device simply for liability reasons.

My statement that it will power was true both times I typed it. USB, regardless of connector, guarantees 100mA of power available in the non-enumerated state and up to 500mA once the configuration has been chosen and the device is enumerated. Most devices capable of providing ample power (like cigarette lighter plugs, powered hubs, etc.) do not bother enforcing this conservative guarantee; they simply provide the more generous, but still current-limited value.

The Garmin 60CSX can be powered solely from USB. You can remove the batteries, plug the USB cable into a host, and the device will work. I do this all the time in GPSBabel development. (This is different than the 60C and 76C that were X-nots.)

PDOPs, that's an interesting point. Once the device is enumerated on the USB and the little "worm" ("USB Connected") appears in the status line, the unit quits responding to Garmin commands on the serial port. So in that regard the serial port croaks once the USB port is ignited. I didn't know it would continue to send NMEA, but I suppose that makes some sense as that's a "write only" condition for the unit. Interesting tidibit.

Edited by robertlipe