Who knows about SD cards in PDAs?

Bob Smith

I've been trying to find out if there is a limit to the capacity of an SD card when used in a PDA.

I recently bought a 2g card for my HP 3870 so I can have more info available without having to swap cards. System reports it as 2g, but I am unable to 'see' some files whilst using file explorer, same files on 1G cards are fine

Someone out there must know the answer to this, how 'big' a card can I use in the 3870? OS is Pocket PC 2003.

Bob S

Not sure on your PDA specification, but there can be a limit on the size of SD card a PDA (or camera, mp3 player etc) can read/write. This is because some chipsets can only address a certain amount of memory. You will have to refer to the HP spec of the PDA.

But another thought is, some of the cheap memory sold on sites like eBay can sometime not be all they are cracked up to be Read this eBay guide. I always buy a good brand from a known good source. Also consider faster memory than the slower stuff,.

Moote

I've been trying to find out if there is a limit to the capacity of an SD card when used in a PDA.

I recently bought a 2g card for my HP 3870 so I can have more info available without having to swap cards. System reports it as 2g, but I am unable to 'see' some files whilst using file explorer, same files on 1G cards are fine

Someone out there must know the answer to this, how 'big' a card can I use in the 3870? OS is Pocket PC 2003.

Bob S

Hi

This depends on the hardware. On a 32bit pda which I am guessing covers most people this is theoretically 2 ^(to the power) 32 = 4Gb. Wouldn't know why you get less than this practically though

Bob S

Hi

This depends on the hardware. On a 32bit pda which I am guessing covers most people this is theoretically 2 ^(to the power) 32 = 4Gb. Wouldn't know why you get less than this practically though

Not sure, but I think most of these cards use FAT 16 which limits them to 2gb. Not sure why that shouldn't be visible on a PDA though - the largest card I own is only 1GB so I can't do any tests. Download a toolset called 'pocket mechanic' for the ppc, it offers loads of tools and diagnostics for cards, and might yield some interesting information.

Good luck