A favour from across the pond...

Blacklaw

I'm a recent convert to the joys of GeoCaching, and use a Palm T|X palmtop with a Bluetooth GPSr. It works a treat. However, it's *not* waterproof, or even rainproof. My current solution involves a transparent plastic bag and lots of sellotape.

Yeah.

Anyway, I've seen a marvellous invention called the Otterbox 2600, which is a clamshell airtight case for sealing PDAs away from all that nasty weather. Unlike anything I could make from Tupperware, it has a special front through which you can use the touch-sensitive screen. Needless to say, I want one.

So here's the problem. The only places I can find that stock it over here in Old Blighty are charging a minimum of £40. This irritates me just a bit when the MSRP is $49.95, which works out at around £27.

So, we come to the favour. I was hoping that some kind soul here might see their way fit to purchasing a Otterbox 2600 (any colour, I don't care) from a USA supplier and shipping it to me here in England. I figure that even allowing for shipping charges (we'll just assume it's labelled as a 'gift' so customs charges don't apply here, nudge-nudge-wink-wink) I should be able to get change from £35 ($65).

So, is there anyone who wants to do a Brit GeoCacher a huge favour? I can pay by PayPal, bank transfer, personal cheque (check)... Of course, if you happen to have a second-hand Otterbox 2600 for sale in reasonable condition, even better!

Thanks for reading.

-Gareth "Blacklaw" Halfacree

I was looking to help you out and found one on e-bay that ships worldwide from California. The auction starts @ $39.99 and a "buy it now" for $44.00 (american currency). This may be an option- if not let me know and we'll get you hooked up.

Excellent! Just got it on 'buy-it-now' with international shipping for $58.75. That comes out at £32.34 at PayPal's exchange rate - over £10 less than I could have bought it for in this country.

Thanks for your help - let's hope it makes it through customs unscathed now...

Cheers!

I was looking to help you out and found one on e-bay that ships worldwide from California. The auction starts @ $39.99 and a "buy it now" for $44.00 (american currency). This may be an option- if not let me know and we'll get you hooked up.

Excellent! Just got it on 'buy-it-now' with international shipping for $58.75. That comes out at £32.34 at PayPal's exchange rate - over £10 less than I could have bought it for in this country.

Thanks for your help - let's hope it makes it through customs unscathed now...

Cheers!

Let me know if you have problems getting the Otterbox. They manufacture them just down the road from my office.

Best of luck,

Sean

blu

I'm a recent convert to the joys of GeoCaching, and use a Palm T|X palmtop with a Bluetooth GPSr. It works a treat. However, it's *not* waterproof, or even rainproof. My current solution involves a transparent plastic bag and lots of sellotape.

Yeah.

Anyway, I've seen a marvellous invention called the Otterbox 2600, which is a clamshell airtight case for sealing PDAs away from all that nasty weather. Unlike anything I could make from Tupperware, it has a special front through which you can use the touch-sensitive screen. Needless to say, I want one.

So here's the problem. The only places I can find that stock it over here in Old Blighty are charging a minimum of £40. This irritates me just a bit when the MSRP is $49.95, which works out at around £27.

So, we come to the favour. I was hoping that some kind soul here might see their way fit to purchasing a Otterbox 2600 (any colour, I don't care) from a USA supplier and shipping it to me here in England. I figure that even allowing for shipping charges (we'll just assume it's labelled as a 'gift' so customs charges don't apply here, nudge-nudge-wink-wink) I should be able to get change from £35 ($65).

So, is there anyone who wants to do a Brit GeoCacher a huge favour? I can pay by PayPal, bank transfer, personal cheque (check)... Of course, if you happen to have a second-hand Otterbox 2600 for sale in reasonable condition, even better!

Thanks for reading.

Let me know how you like the box Blacklaw - I am also interested - a bit nerve racking carrying the PDA around in the woods and I won't even consider it on the kayak until I get a case. I was all set to buy a bag for it then you came along and showed me the 2600. I have a bid out on one but I would love to hear how it really works.

It arrived! Many thanks to everyone who posted.

It's great - although it *feels* a bit flimsy (only two plastic clips, and the two sides don't *quite* meet up) it's survived a soak test and a wander through quite heavy rain. My only slight concern was that while using Bluetooth and WiFi and with the screen brightness at maximum the PDA *did* get quite warm - but how many times am I going to be doing *that* in the woods, in the rain?

A highly recommended piece of kit - and it even got through customs without me having to pay any surcharges.

I'll see about posting some photos later tonight.

-Gareth