Log Entry Declaring Find Falsely

JATurtle

Today, I received the following log entry for a cache which I own:

On two days I found the (or a) super hiding spot that fulfils the given criteria very well - but the spot was empty. I call it a provisional find, and will delete it should the owner or next finder discover the cache to be in place still.

Is this a common thing? I am relatively new (12/05) and have never seen this before. In response I, 1st: checked out the cache, 2nd: sent the Cacher an email advising him that the cache is intact and, 3rd: deleted his log entry.

What do you think? :anitongue:

Edited by JATurtle
On two days I found the (or a) super hiding spot that fulfils the given criteria very well - but the spot was empty. I call it a provisional find, and will delete it should the owner or next finder discover the cache to be in place still.

Is this a common thing? I am relatively new (12/05) and have never seen this before. In response I, 1st: checked out the cache, 2nd: sent the Cacher an email advising him that the cache is intact and, 3rd: deleted his log entry.

What do you think?

What you did sounds about right to me. From his perspective, there are two possibilities, even though he apparently failed to grasp them. Either the cache IS in place, and he simply couldn't find it, or the cache is NOT in place, which means it isn't possible to have found it. Either way, he doesn't qualify for a find, provisional or otherwise.

Now, had he logged a note with a promise to change it to a DNF should the cache prove to be in place, that would be different. Did that myself recently - I was sure I'd found evidence of a missing cache, did a note log, and when someone confirmed that it was still in place, I changed my entry to a DNF.

You did the right thing. Whenever we find a good place, but not the actual cache, we log a DNF and say basically what that said... This way the owner will know people are looking, and that there might be an issue. We had to do this twice this last week.

One DNF was because there were too many muggles in the area to look for it, the other is because we ran out of daylight, and had to come back the next day (but we found ~3 other perfect spots)... When we came back in the daylight, after about 10 minutes there it was, not where we thought....

I had a funny feeling; went back, and the cache container was missing.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do, but harbor your suspicions. If he claims a find now, maybe he really did find it. And it just went missing shortly thereafter.

I've had one similar episode. A person who was annoyed with me (I had declined to be the local maintainer of his vacation cache) was the last finder of one of my caches. Nothing to be done really. Just move along and get over it. Maybe he took my cache, maybe he didn't.

You think that is bizarre...We have a fella around here who just goes for numbers by the look of it. One of his log, eventhough the cache was no longer there was something like this, "Pretty sure I was in the right area so I claiming it as a find". He's done it more than once so go figure!

Had one fella who claimed he found one of mine and even if I deleted his log, he would come back and relog on GC.

Some are just born losers. :lol:

Today, I received the following log entry for a cache which I own:

What do you think? :antenna:

Some people get tied up with the find counts more than others. What you did was fine.

I know this horse has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten again many times. It all comes to this. Ya found the bloomin thing or you didn't. If ya found it sign the log and log it on GC. If not found, then you clearly didn't sign the log. Don't log it on line or better yet log a DNF with some sort of explanation. An exception might be realistic if you truly do find the cache and the log is soggy beyond use. There you couldn't sign. At least hover your pencil (you do carry one don't you?) over the soggy log and try. There you can be somebody's hero if you have an extra log sheet, memo book or film can in your bag of tricks. Dry the mess out if you can and replace as needed. Odd Lots sells memo books ten for two bucks.

As to the ethics of posting of bogus logs...... It's a lot like paying your $20 to play a round of golf at your favorite links, carding about 115 and telling your pals at work you shot a 76. They have played with you before and they KNOW that you are lying. Stop kidding yourself and go back and find the cache.

(Rant off)

HG

As to the ethics of posting of bogus logs...... It's a lot like paying your $20 to play a round of golf at your favorite links, carding about 115 and telling your pals at work you shot a 76. They have played with you before and they KNOW that you are lying. Stop kidding yourself and go back and find the cache.

It goes beyond just lying about your golf score. When you log a find on a cache you are in effect telling the community the cache is there. If it happens to be missing, your phony log can cause others to waste their time and gas going after it. It can also delay needed maintenace on the part of the owner.

I know I wound up wasting my time looking for a missinhg cache because there were recentb fake finds logged. I also know of one geocacher who was lured into a futile 100 mile round trip because someone lied about finding a cache that was previously thought missing.

If you lie about your golf score, or cheat at solitaire, it affects nobody. Lie about finding a cache you can affect others.

You, the cache owner, reserve the right to validate finds. You did that.

The owner has more than a right, it's an obligation as listed in the guidelines.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

Unfortunately, not many people adhere to this, and for those of us that do, sometimes get ridiculed as the cache police. More people should follow the guidelines.

Jamie

You did the right thing.

As a finder I don't believe in 'provisional finds'. If I don't find the cache AND sign the log (or leave a piece of paper with my signature, which I had to do with one cache were the placer forgot the log), its not a find. Period.

There were 2 caches placed by a local cacher which I wasn't sure I had found the cache. (had I opened them, I would have been sure). As I wasn't sure, they were a DNF. I have verified with the placer that I did find the caches. They will remain a DNF until I can go back out to those caches and sign the log.

There is a local cache located high in a tree. The rule for the cache is that you must get to the cache and sign in where it is. (ie, you must climb the tree to get to it, no having a friend climb it and bring it down for you to sign). Well, I 'found' the cache as I saw it, but could not climb to it. Its not a found. Period. Those are the rules. I entered this as a 'note'.