Like some advice on a purchase

TioTony

I currently have a very old Garmin. It just says GPS 12 on it. I had the manual but can't locate it currently. I have been using it for at least 8 years and it has always served me well.

I recently started geocaching with my daughters and my current GPS works fine except I have to manually input the cache locations. I would like to find a unit that has the following features as I also do a lot of hiking:

Altimeter

Compass

USB connection

20 MB+ of memory

After reading a lot of the recent postings it looks like many of the current Garmin GPSr models are not as accurate as the older models but the Magellan models are dead on. Garmin has the features I like but I cannot find a Magellan unit with a good altimeter and compass. Here are the units I have narrowed my search to. ANy advice you can give me to make my decision would be helpful:

Magellan eXplorist XL

Magellan eXplorist 210

Garmin eTrex Vista Cx

Garmin GPSMAP 60csx

I don't mind spending a little more if the unit can do everything I want. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks for your help,

Tony

Did you consider the Explorist 600?

I temper my Magellan recommendations these days with the caveat that customer/tech support has gone downhill over the past few years, with firmware upgrades being infrequent. I still think the hardware is of the good bang for buck. I'd be inclined to go with the 60csx over the 600. However, the 600 does have a 3-axis compass, while the 60csx is only 2-axis.

Did you consider the Explorist 600?

I temper my Magellan recommendations these days with the caveat that customer/tech support has gone downhill over the past few years, with firmware upgrades being infrequent. I still think the hardware is of the good bang for buck. I'd be inclined to go with the 60csx over the 600. However, the 600 does have a 3-axis compass, while the 60csx is only 2-axis.

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the Explorist 600. I also spent some time this afternoon reading the manuals of several models. It looks like the 60csx has both the barometric altimeter and the GPS elevation. I'm leaning towards this model after the additional reading. I do see a lot of people complaining about the re-calibration but after reading the manual it doesn't look like it's a terrible task to repeat. The 600 also looks very nice. Based on my past experience with Garmin and your comments about Magellan I have really been pushed to the 60csx. They are also reasonably priced at several places online plus you get the $50 rebate. It seems like a clear choice to me now. Anyone have any comments about the 60CSx to change my mind?

Good choice... I've heard good reviews of that unit. I personally perfer Magellen.. but for anyone who stumbles on this thread looking for advice, I'd just like to add...

All GPSes have a compass capabilities, however for most of them you need to be moving for them to work. If you don't mind buying a decent compass you'll probably save yourself some money rather than paying for one an electronic version that works while you standing still (2/3 Axis).

USB Connection? Most new units will have them, this is the future, RS-232 are dying out.

Memory... this is a tricky one... because this is for maps and many factors come into play with this because some cities/areas have more info than others. If you live in a place like California, 22MB will quickly be gobbled up if you try loading the entire Los Angeles/Orange County/Ventura Area. For this, you should talk to someone who lives in your area that has the unit you are interested in. See how much they can load and what you realistically use.

I will cast my vote for the 60CSx. I have had mine for a while, having upgraded from a Legend to a Vista Cx to the 60 CSx, and I love it!! The satellite reception is fantastic, I can cold start it and get 7-10 sats in less than a minute in my downstairs concrete garage, under the house, inside my Durango. The older ones semed like they could barely keep a lock while traveling down the highway. :o I find have found it very easy to use right from the start. I like the placement of the buttons on the front, rather than on the side of the case. I like the expandabilty of the unit with the micro sd card. Long story short (ok semi short ) I like the 60 CSx!

I buy all my units from gpsnow.com and have never had any problems and always great service. Amazon is a good deal as well when they offer the $30 off with a new credit card deal, but I hate plastic LOL

update- i just noticed that gpsonsale.com has it for $369

Edited by moonpup

If you don't go through Amazon.com or Buy.com beware of shipping costs. gpsonsale.com and other similar sites tend to ding you for shipping significantly.

This thread has related info. for Buy.com was the best price I found: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=141928&hl=

Basically, you could get $50 off through Garmin, $30 off signing up for their credit card (simply purchase, pay it off and cancel it and $15 off for first time customer at Buy.com. Not a bad way to save $95. A little work, but it gets you a 60CSx under $300.

Edited by egami

I ordered it from Amazon for $399 and mailed in the $50 from Garmin. I got free shipping so it will be $349 which I felt was more than far.

I've taken it out a few times now, loaded it up with hundreds of caches using EasyGPS, and overall I love it. It works great! I don't plan to buy much additional software so I'm not worried about those costs, it does what I want. I may buy some topos at some point for specific areas but it is likely I won't spend much.

Here are some pics of the old one and the new one:

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg