Save your money. Honest thoughts.

Fhantazm

I have had pretty much every handheld GPS unit under the sun. Im a gadgeteer and like to try different things out. However that being said, I wanted something to "settle down" with so I bought the "best money could buy". A Garmin GPSMap 60CSX. After using this for sometime, I found it to be good unit, full of features, but I wasnt as happy with it, as I should have been for a $500 unit. First of all the barometric altitude is just a joke and second the electonic compass can be a pain in the a**(Which coincidentally is pretty much the norm for all electronic compasses). When its working(the electronic compass), its nice to have, but between recalibrating every battery change and having to constantly turn the compass off and back on due to random lockups/dissapearances, I grew tired of it. The unit itself is built pretty well and does a great job of navigating roads and geocaches, its just not something that I can justify keeping for my needs. I already have a car unit and could make due with a normal/mainstream GPS for GC.

Moving quite along, I decided to sell (well trade for a 600+cash), my csx. I also have just purchased a Magellan eXplorist 210 Topo bundle (Belt case, lighter cable and Mapsend Topo 3d USA). I actually pulled a magic trick and got basspro to pricematch the bundle (regularly $199) to a non-bundled standalone 210 from walmart.com ($159.99). I was hoping they would overlook the fact that the 2 are different in what they include and they did. Yay for me. At any rate, I must say that I am now a few hundred $$ richer and almost as content with my purchase. I have tested the 210 in heavy cover for about 4 hours today, among other outdoor environtments and am more than pleased with the reception. The 210 certainly doesnt have the memory capacity the csx has, the sheer sensitivety, or the electronic compass, but it does more than fine for most geocaching uses...More than fine. It includes the USB cable for transferring of map/waypoint/geocaching data, as well as the Geocaching software (I use EasyGPS instead. I find it better for creating the geocaching waypoints) and in my instance a lighter cord for use in the car.

My only complaint is the extremely STUPID manner of which one must connect the usb cable to the 210. Good lord, youd think they would just throw a USB min jack in there and call it a day. But this is just a small compaint.

So in closing, I know its been reccomended before but Ill say it again, for a GREAT geocaching solution for a very reasonable price, you cannot go wrong with the Magellan 210. For those that could use it, the bundle I purchased with the TOPO maps is also a great deal for only $50 more. That being said, Ive said it once and ill say it agian, If you have your mind set on a 60/76cx/csx then the magellan may not be the one for you. But for a good mid end gps solution, its hard to go wrong.

Edited by Fhantazm

Im sorry, and you are? You know how much experience I have how? From a little counter on a message board? Nice. Try actually learning what you are talking about before you make such ignorant pigeonhole posts. I needed to do a name change and the site wont let you do that anymore, so i had to end up creating a new name, thus starting everything over. Also, im not sure if you are aware of this or not, but GPSr's are not soley manufactured for geocaching. I actually, up until recent budget cuts, did field work for the TVA(Tennessee Valley Authority), whch required the use of several GPSr's for surveying purposes. So next time you want to make retarded assumptions, either know what you are talking about or just keep them to yourself.

Also my advice was just that advice. There were also many other options given. As a matter of fact, I was even asked to do a review of a Lowrance iFinder product, as well as a Magellan GPSr. Just because I reccomend something that fits somone else, that you may not agree with, doesnt mean its bad advice. So, heres my advice to you. Know what you are talking about before you post.

Now moving right along..as far as me contradictiing myself. Well again if you would have actually READ this and the other posts by me you will see that I never said the 60csx was the end all be all of gps's. Just that if you want the sensitivity the 60/76 cx/csx offers then buy that. The 60csx is still more sensitive than the explorists, this hasnt changed. But for what most use it for, the magellan is more than fine. Im sorry to post something that may actually be USEFUL to someone, instead of posting garbage flaming others. It certainly wont happen again.

Wow! All that sure contradicts the previous 176 posts and advice to other cachers posted in your one month of experience.

And as far as a sales pitch, thats pretty much the stupidest thing ive ever heard. Usually people trying to sell something work for one particular company/brand. Im actually boasting positives and negatives about every brand that I have worked with, in one way or another. Try searching for threads that I have posted in.

This is just silly.

Edited by Fhantazm

What I was referring to with my post was mainly referencing the following topics:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=143637&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=143429&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=142455&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=142215&hl=

Namely, that virtually every topic you've created has to do will selling something-or-other. This topic then came up, and it seemed to fit in my head that either someone was having you sell things for them... or you're trying to run a business of some sort through this site.

In either case, no offence meant, but it was just a tad peculiar that following a ton of sale-related topics, you create one telling people to buy Magellan.

What I was referring to with my post was mainly referencing the following topics:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=143637&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=143429&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=142455&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=142215&hl=

Namely, that virtually every topic you've created has to do will selling something-or-other. This topic then came up, and it seemed to fit in my head that either someone was having you sell things for them... or you're trying to run a business of some sort through this site.

In either case, no offence meant, but it was just a tad peculiar that following a ton of sale-related topics, you create one telling people to buy Magellan.

Ok. Point understood. However I can assure you that I am NOT running a business or trying to sell for a friend. I simply have a LOT of stuff that I have accumulated either by purchasing outright or trading. I love gadgets and am particularly interested in GPSr's. I use them, try them out then sell them. Thats it. No business, no conspiracy, nothing. :anitongue:

Edited by Fhantazm

Fhantazm Aug 17 2006, 02:26 PM Post #18

I've been muggled.

Group: Premium Members

I have had just about every incarnation of GPS known to man. (I love toys) And can truly say, without a doubt the Garmin 60csx is THE best GPSr I have ever owned or used. There is nothing wrong with the eXplorist line per se. They do well under tree cover and are generally good receivers. However the difference here is, the 60csx does GREAT under tree cover and is generally an AWESOME receiver. The features are great and the price is falling. What more could you ask for? In closing, I will say this. You will NOT be sorry you bought the Magellan, however I think you will be happier with the purchase of the Garmin. Hope this and the other posts helps you.

--------------------

-CURRENTLY OWN: FineDrive 300/Magellan eXplorist 210 Topo Bundle

-NO LONGER HAVE: eTrex Legend/GPS V/StreetPilot c340/Magellan Roadmate 760/Magellan eXplorist 200/eTrex Legend C/eTrex Yellow/Lowrance iFinder PhD/GPSMAP 76cx/eTrex Venture Cx/Nuvi 350/GpsMap 60csx

-C

This is one of many posts that I was refering to. The level of experience refered to your overall experience with a 60CSx base on your purchase time. I remember how enthusiastic you were in the forums when you got it.

Look im gonna answer this and then let it drop. Of course I was enthused when I first got it. Who isnt when they get new stuff? However, that being said, I used a 60cx at least 3-4 times a week for a soild 6 months, at work before I actually purchased my own. I still love the unit, but as the original post states Its overkill for what I need it to do and I was less than happy with the compass. Also, like the post you quoted from me above, I have never said anything bad about the Magellan line and have actually reccomended Magellan and Lowrance to several people. I was just surpised how well the 210 actually did that I made a post contrasting my findings against my 60csx. Im dang sure not bashing the 60csx in any shape or form. I will still reccomend it highly, however for the money the 210 seems like a better suit for me.

Edited by Fhantazm

There are several good GPS units to choose from but I'm sticking with my Lowrance H20. It's not loaded with bells and whistles but it's excellent in the deep woods and the topo mapping is about as good as it gets.

I agree. When i had my Lowrance PhD it was GREAT in the woods. The only reason I got rid of mine was it was an open box and had intermittant reception issues. Along with the fact that it was rather bulky. I wish Lowrance would create a model with the features of the ifinder series and the size inbetween the ifinder and the go.

Speaking of the Garmin 60 series, I've been considering ordering the 60-CX to use in the field. I have the I-QUE 3600 for the dashboard of the car. It's great for my real estate practice, and for giving turn-by-turn directions for getting to the general location of a hobby target. Unfortunately, you can't download waypoints from the computer; you must enter them manually. And, being a Palm with built-in GPS, it is a little too fragile to carry through the woods. Hence the desire to have a rugged unit which fits my hand's contours.

Unlike the originator of this thread, I will pass on the upgraded 60-CSX with the barometer and compass. I prefer a magnetic compass over electronic. And I'm always around a media receiver or I carry a NOAA Radio for updates on the weather.

I'll be searching past threads for info on the 60-CX. Meanwhile, if someone has some fresh comments about this model, feel free to pass them along. Thanks in advance......

-Paul-

If you are only going to use a unit for geocaching, yes the 60CSx is way more than you need. The Explorist 210 is a fine unit for geocaching. The 60Cx is a fine unit for geocaching. So is the Lowrance GO, The yellow Etrex and the Explorist 100 if you don't mind entering coordinates manually.

The truth is, any GPS will work great for geocaching. In fact, the biggest part of finding caches isn't the quality of the unit but the skill of the finder along with the accuracy of the person who placed the cache.

But if want the bells & whistles along with the SIRF chip, the 60CSx (or 76CSx) is the best unit on the market. Period. If I had plenty of money, I'd get the 76Csx.

It's all a matter of what you want out of a GPS.

Edited by gpsblake

To: GPSblake:

Thanks for your comments, which are especially relevant since we both recover quite a few benchmarks. (By the way, I enjoy reading your reports!)

I just reviewed dozens of comments in several threads and I concur--the CX model appears to be exactly what I'm looking for....

-Paul-

As a mountaineer the 60CSX fits the bill exactily. The altimeter acts as an indication on how high I am on the mountain AND helps with weather forecasting. The electronic compass works superbly in area where there is rock that is magnetic, e.g. Skye in the Western Isles of Scotland.

I must add that I use a GPS as an extra tool in my navigators bag, a map and compass and years of practice are my primary tools, and am not a Geocasher, why visit these boards you ask? Well there is a huge amount of very, very good information on them.

I own a 60CS and have enjoyed its autorouting and color screen imensely. That being said I find the electronic compass to be less useful than a real compass, and certain areas with heavy tree cover I lose signal quite often. I am now looking for a new GPS and the unit I thing I will purchase is the 60CX. I will continue to use a regular compass when needed and save the extra $50.