Difference Between 60cx and 60csx

My kids smashed my venerable Venture to bits last week, so it's time for a new unit. I've always wanted to do mapping (streets and topo) along with caching. My search has narrowed me down to the 60cx and 60csx.

The only difference I can see between the units is that the 60cx lacks the barometric alt and elec compass, and of course the extra $50.

Are there other differences?

Are the alt and compass worth the extra $50?

Edited by Silent Yellow Dog Team

Yes and no

Most of what everyone complains about the csx is in the compass and altimeter but, if you dont have the features you cant complain (and you wont have a magnetic compass and acurate pressure sensing).

This topic has been hotly discussed on here often.

If you dont get the compass and altimeter then you get better battery life and your altimeter (elevation) will work in a pressurized airplane cabin. If you do get those features then you get a gps that has a compass that points the right way when stopped (except this needs calibrated way too much), but you have to hold it flat to work.

The barometer/pressure sensor can give you very acurate hill climb resolution and accuracy however, you have to know the limitations and how to use it...if you dont know how/why it works then you will get funny numbers and will complain about it.

Do some poking around on here and youll find many discussions on this topic

My kids smassed my venerable Venture to bits last week, so it's time for a new unit. I've always wanted to do mapping (streets and topo) along with caching. My search has narrowed me down to the 60cx and 60csx.

The only difference I can see between the units is that the 60cx lacks the barometric alt and elec compass, and of course the extra $50.

Are there other differences?

Are the alt and compass worth the extra $50?

I'd think that if you don't mind recalibrating both the compass and altimeter every week or so, go with the CSX. I personally hated the idea of having to recalibrate it, so I just went with the CX and bought me a regular compass to go along with it. I'm not to specifically needing of a brutally accurate altimeter. The elevation listing on the CX is plenty good enough for me :anitongue:

Unless you need an extremely accurate altimeter, you don't need to ever calibrate it. Leave it in auto-calibrate mode, and it should be right to within 8 or 10 feet.

As for the compass, I've got one in my Vista, which I used for years. The one in my 60GSx is every bit as good, if not better. I recalibrate it first thing (takes, what? 20 seconds?), and it's good for rest of the day. Maybe some people just have a problem holding it level.

I don't know, I have a 60CSx and i really find the compass very useful (the altimeter is a joke or something because the elevation still jumps around). I haven't caliberated my compass since i got the unit in February and it still points right to the cache. I don't know, maybe it is 10deg off or something but it points to a cache fine, i've even changed the batteries many times without caliberating. Maybe i got some new unit that they were beta testing and only gave me :anitongue: lol i don't know.

Just before you take off calibrate your altimeter (if youknow your elevation) and then turn OFF the autocalibrate. I found that during a 40minuit runacross the same terrain that the unit got off by 25 feet or more but when I turned off autocalibrate it was accurate for this short range. If the barometric pressure changes then all bets are off but it usually does not change that fast.

I don't know, I have a 60CSx and i really find the compass very useful (the altimeter is a joke or something because the elevation still jumps around). I haven't caliberated my compass since i got the unit in February and it still points right to the cache. I don't know, maybe it is 10deg off or something but it points to a cache fine, i've even changed the batteries many times without caliberating. Maybe i got some new unit that they were beta testing and only gave me :anitongue: lol i don't know.

I say go with the CSX. The compass is a big help. Look at it this way. You're caching. It's 50 feet away. Without the built-in compass you have to be moving for the GPS to generate a heading for the arrow. What happens if you're under cover and the GPS isn't real accurate? The arrow moves around. With the CSX it uses the built-in compass to generate that heading. It's also handy when you need to mark a direction and go.

Need to mark a waypoint at 270 degrees 150 feet away? Easy and it'll walk you right to it. It's more trouble with a magnetic compass.

50 bucks additional is not a killer the way I see it. I would focus on the drawbacks and the advantages to the two models. BTW, I do have a csx myself and am glad I do.

But remember, all anyone ever complains about the the 60csx is the compass and barometer so you might be sorry you bought into the "s" model.

The only drawback I see at this point in my opinion is the altimeter/elevation cant be used on pressurized airplanes because they dont give you an option to display the GPS elevation if you have the S model (however, you can view it as a one time thing).

I am looking to buy a new GPS myself. I had the 60CS and have not used the altimeter at all, and the times that I used the electronic compass I was disappointed in its accuracy. I prefer the Bruntan that I carry for such times. I am leaning toward the 60CX and saving the $50.00