We'll Never Forget 9/11 #1

4America

Terrible scheduling issues so mine is still not out - it's listed but disabled, will try again tomorrow.

On the text, I really hope we can avoid standardized wording!

All of us experienced the 9/11 events differently and have different views and motivations for placing a memorial.

Those differences should be reflected in our individual pages.

Another reason to avoid cookie-cutter descriptions is, where does it stop? Will all cemetary caches, war memorials, etc. have an 'approved text" we are to use?

Yes, developing some cookie-cutter text for the present instance solves this issue right now, but does not in any way address how the issue should be resolved in the future.

Instead of focusing on an 'acceptable text' I hope we can focus on a clear delineation between acceptable memorial and unacceptable political or social speech.

Ed

You might want to check with the owner of this cache for CA. It's disabled right now, but the owner is a fairly active cacher and might want to re-enable it to participate in this. :)

There are a lot of memorial caches that have been created in the past, and I'm not trying to take anything away from them.

I would like to create at least 50 new caches and at least one in every State and Country.

It would be great if every caching club or organation step up to the challenge.

We'll Never Forget 9/11.

I'll place a new one for Colorado (on behalf of Geocaching Colorado).

I would like to place one on the West Slope of Colorado, if possible :)

Cacheopedia - Never Forget Series

Easy way to keep track. As they are placed, they can be edited here. All edits on cacheopedia are logged and reversible, so don't worry about the integrity of the list. 4America can make sure it's all right.

I have to get back to work, but I started the list, there are some good examples already to follow on there for adding the rest of the list to the cacheopedia page.

This is going to be put under the "Notable Caches" Page/Category

I could use some help. I waited to post mine until Veterans day. I submitted it today and received this reply:

I am sorry but as written your cache can not listed. It has a social agenda and caches with a social agenda are not listed on this site. You will need to change the agenda on this cache or get Groundspeak to grant permission. You may write them at contact@geocaching.com

Thank you

So I need some help re-wording things. I have no insight as to any specific working that is in err.

Here's the description as written:

(see mtn-man's cache for comparison)

This cache is the sixteenth in a national series of geocaches dedicated to the memory of those killed, injured or touched by the events on September 11, 2001. It is an honor to place this cache on the five year anniversary of the tragedy.

The original idea for this cache came from a geocacher in Kansas named 4America when they placed their new 9/11 tribute cache. They posted a topic in the Groundspeak Forums hoping to see at least one similar cache in each state.

If you would like to add to the series, go to the forum topic linked above and post a note.

For a complete list of caches in this series, view the bookmark here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never forget our fallen heros.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About this cache location:

The Hamm family donated this area to the city of Longmont in 1976, in memory of USAF Captian Jim Hamm, who was shot down over Vietnam on March 14, 1968.

The History of Jim Hamm:

On March 14, 1968, Jim and his aircraft commander were sent on a close-air support mission to assist in diversionary fire for a helicopter evacuation about 18 miles southwest of the city of Hue where the 304th North Vietnamese regiment was active. Hamm made three low altitude runs over the hostile forces that morning. On his fourth run, his plane was hit and caught fire. His backseater ejected and landed in a valley with an injured leg, and Hamm landed some distance away. Radio contact was established and rescue attempts made in spite of heavy ground fire. One rescue helicopter crashed and another was called away. The crew of the crashed helicopter was safely recovered. The injured backseater was finally rescued and hospitalized for treatment.

During this period, Jim directed air strikes against the enemy in an attempt to secure the area, although the enemy was extremely close. For this action he was awarded the Silver Star. Later in the day, radio contact was lost, and no further information was received from Jim.

About this cache:

The cache is a small Lock'n'Lock continer with a logbook, FTF prize, and a few swag items. I'd consider it a 'small' small. Please cover it back up as well or better than you found it.

The park has been know to have muggles hanging around the area, so please use your best judgement when to search.

Please advise

Send it to appeal.

Every Reviewer can get one wrong once in a while, and this 'agenda' business is a real gray area, an easy place to read something into a cache that isn't there.

I don't think your listing carries an agenda, but my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it in these instances.

Appeal it and Groundspeak will look at it and either list it or tell you where the problem is.

I had to appeal my 9/11 cache and I think others have as well, as far as I know they all got listed, so don't feel picked on!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Send it to appeal.

Every Reviewer can get one wrong once in a while, and this 'agenda' business is a real gray area, an easy place to read something into a cache that isn't there.

I don't think your listing carries an agenda, but my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it in these instances.

Appeal it and Groundspeak will look at it and either list it or tell you where the problem is.

I had to appeal my 9/11 cache and I think others have as well, as far as I know they all got listed, so don't feel picked on!

Ed

Thanks for the comments Ed & Sax. I've e-mailed back to the reviewer looking for guidence. The reply came back very quickly (great response time!) with instructions to goto GC.com for permission.

I've e-mailed them and we'll see what they recommend.

I don't feel picked on at all. I fully expected some hesitation, I just don't know what needs to be changed on the listing to get it approved. Referencing the person didn't seem to be it (offered to remove if necessary).

We shall see.....

Thanks for the comments Ed & Sax. I've e-mailed back to the reviewer looking for guidence. The reply came back very quickly (great response time!) with instructions to goto GC.com for permission.

I don't feel picked on at all. I fully expected some hesitation, I just don't know what needs to be changed on the listing to get it approved. Referencing the person didn't seem to be it (offered to remove if necessary).

We shall see.....

Looking at what you listed you wrote, it may have something to do with a combination of all the detail and the fact that you description has nothing to do with 9/11.

I placed #13 and it went thru without a hitch.

Send it to appeal.

Ed

We shall see.....

So I sent contact@Groundspeak an e-mail on November 10th. No reply

I sent a follow up e-mail November 16th (in case the first one didn't make it). No Reply yet.

How long should a reply take?