Pending Cache...

WyattEarp

And therein lies the problem! A placement like this requires very detailed parking and access details be listed, and anyone straying from them can be in / cause trouble.

As far as the Google and other satelite imagery maps, they're generally way off.

A search of my mailing address or my coords both put me about seven houses down the street from where my house is... in opposite directions!!

Ed

I disagree and my example cache is exactly why. The cache page actually suggested that you park on the side of the road on the on-ramp. The alternative route is not given. Had the parking location not been given, finders would have been forced to find the legal way to access the cache. I think we should presume that cachers will look for the legal way to the cache or they are on their own, legally.

Edited by sbell111

And therein lies the problem! A placement like this requires very detailed parking and access details be listed, and anyone straying from them can be in / cause trouble.

As far as the Google and other satelite imagery maps, they're generally way off.

A search of my mailing address or my coords both put me about seven houses down the street from where my house is... in opposite directions!!

Ed

I disagree and my example cache is exactly why. The cache page actually suggested that you park on the side of the road on the on-ramp. The alternative route is not given. Had the parking location not been given, finders would have been forced to find the legal way to access the cache. I think we should presume that cachers will look for the lefal way to the cache or they are on their own, legally.

Parking on ramps is generally illegal, reserved for emergency stopping only.

The presumption that cachers will look for legal access is... presumptuous! It's an attempt to shift responsibility from the placer to the seeker. As I am sure you know, most geocachers will go to the nearest access to the cache and try to get at it from there.

The presumption that cachers will look for legal access is... presumptuous! It's an attempt to shift responsibility from the placer to the seeker. As I am sure you know, most geocachers will go to the nearest access to the cache and try to get at it from there.

I think that shift of responsibility is important. When you go out to look for a cache (or to do anything), you are responsible for your actions. Certainly, if I hide an urban micro, I should not have to put a note on the cache page explaining that double parking or jaywalking is illegal.

Update: Cache placement was not approved. Two reasons were given - the first was that the cache was too close to the bridge - a potential terrorist target - there's a rule against that. I knew this might be a problem but I didn't know how close was too close - still don't. I could still have moved the cache closer to the center of the interchange - with a lot of effort the, brush was incredibly thick. However the second reason the cache was rejected is that the land is not "public" property - probaly owned by the highway administration. Basically I can't locate it inside the interchange.

I am in the process of moving the cache outside the highway land in the park next to the interchange. Not as clean as I would have liked. Also the new area is a lot more open - no real bushwacking - off trail but no thorns.

I'll post a path to the original location later.

Edited by WyattEarp

I think that shift of responsibility is important. When you go out to look for a cache (or to do anything), you are responsible for your actions. Certainly, if I hide an urban micro, I should not have to put a note on the cache page explaining that double parking or jaywalking is illegal.

For the record. I supplied a parking waypoint which would have been a big hint as to where to start. I also described the full path to the cache in the hint. I wanted cachers to have the option of figuring it out themselves. If they got stuck (figuratively and/or literally) they could use the hint to get them to the cache.

Edited by WyattEarp

Here is the path to the original location (Google Earth image) - The cache has been moved so any covert attempts to find it will be in vain ;)

ToCrossroads.jpg

The path runs along the river trail under the northbound lanes of I-95, then up between the lanes of I-95. Then under the Route 32 bridge adjacent to I-95 south. This is the only way in without crossing or stopping on any of the roadways.

For some reason (intentional or not) the areas just adjacent to the interchange are heavily overgrown with very thick brush. It keeps people and animals from wandering onto the interchange. The thorns were so bad that I was scratched though my jeans. Any path that I was able to find through the brush was only 2 feet tall, basically a game trail. There were a number of deer in the areas just outside the oval center. I didn't get very far into the center but I suspect there are deer in there also.

This was a Difficulty 3/Terrain 4 cache. I think the new location will be a 3/3 or less.

Edited by WyattEarp

Here is the path to the original location (Google Earth image) - The cache has been moved so any covert attempts to find it will be in vain :)

ToCrossroads.jpg

The path runs along the river trail under the northbound lanes of I-95, then up between the lanes of I-95. Then under the Route 32 bridge adjacent to I-95 south. This is the only way in without crossing or stopping on any of the roadways.

For some reason (intentional or not) the areas just adjacent to the interchange are heavily overgrown with very thick brush. It keeps people and animals from wandering onto the interchange. The thorns were so bad that I was scratched though my jeans. Any path that I was able to find through the brush was only 2 feet tall, basically a game trail. There were a number of deer in the areas just outside the oval center. I didn't get very far into the center but I suspect there are deer in there also.

This was a Difficulty 3/Terrain 4 cache. I think the new location will be a 3/3 or less.

<smack>

I have actually been there. Too bad ;)

There is a really nice cache like this in Jupiter, Florida, in a narrow strip of land between the Florida Turnpike and I-95. It is located along an old section of a highway that was abandoned back in the 1970s. From an aerial view, it looks like there is no way to reach it except from the interstate roads, but the owner indicates DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REACH THIS CACHE FROM THE TURNPIKE OR I-95. There was no other clue about how to get there. I spent nearly 45 minutes driving around various back roads looking for an obscure / hidden access point and then about 45 minutes more walking to the cache and back through some dense brush. It was a fantastic experience! I would warn geocachers that they cannot access from the interstate, but not necessarily give a clue (except perhaps in a clearly marked spoiler for those who don't want a real challenge figuring out where to start). That driving around figuring out how to approach the site is half the fun.