Have you ever used a satellite image

Snoogans

I was playing around with a satellite image from one of my caches when I spied a choice spot for a NEW hide about a quarter mile away.

The satellite would be useless if I didn't already know the terrain quite well.

I'm actually planning 2 more for that area to get folks beyond that one interesting feature where the current cache lies. Not one person has mentioned climbing the point that is just a short walk away and they're really missing out. I guess a couple more smileys would be worth the effort. :blink:

So, has anyone else used a satellite image to choose a hide location? Were you actually able to use the site when you went to check it out? Were you even able to find the spot that you spied from above? <_<

So, has anyone else used a satellite image to choose a hide location? Were you actually able to use the site when you went to check it out? Were you even able to find the spot that you spied from above? <_<

Not quite to find a hide location, but using a satellite image is how I found the first 14 caches before I got a GPSr :blink:

Otherwise, I could see it as being quite useful if you're looking at a forest or something of that sort and spot an unusual opening in a dense area. Then again, at that point I'd find a way to get the coordinates from Google Maps and drop 'em into my GPS to find it later if I were to do that :o

Yep, I have indeed done this. I KNEW there had to be a shorter way back from one of my grueling hikes, but from the ground it wasn't apparent. Pulled up Quakemap, and lo and behold! There was an overgrown trail that cut 2 miles off of the return trip! I actually have a multi lined up thanks to the map. I think I'll call it "The Short Way Home".

Sort of...

When I built my The Etch-O-Sketch Night Cache, it was designed so folks would use their GPSr trackback screen like an etch-a-sketch. As they followed the trail of reflectors through the swamp, they would be drawing a giant pair of numbers on the GPSr screen. At the end, they receive instructions on how to use those numbers to find the cache.

In the creation stage, I used Google Earth to draw the numbers, then plotted the coords for the relevant points. I entered these into my GPSr, so I could create the reflector trail.

Google Earth is my friend.

I have used it to find several great places to hide a cache.

Not the exact point perhaps, but usualy within a hundred feet or so.

When I first started I heard a lot of things like "All the best spots are taken."

Then again the folks who said that haven't logged some of my out of the way caches.

Sat. images found most of those spots.

Sort of...

When I built my The Etch-O-Sketch Night Cache, it was designed so folks would use their GPSr trackback screen like an etch-a-sketch. As they followed the trail of reflectors through the swamp, they would be drawing a giant pair of numbers on the GPSr screen. At the end, they receive instructions on how to use those numbers to find the cache.

In the creation stage, I used Google Earth to draw the numbers, then plotted the coords for the relevant points. I entered these into my GPSr, so I could create the reflector trail.

Dude. :ph34r:

That is AWESOME!

Sort of...

Dude. :ph34r:

That is AWESOME!

WHOA! Too COOL. :ph34r:

Yep, I have indeed done this. I KNEW there had to be a shorter way back from one of my grueling hikes, but from the ground it wasn't apparent. Pulled up Quakemap, and lo and behold! There was an overgrown trail that cut 2 miles off of the return trip! I actually have a multi lined up thanks to the map. I think I'll call it "The Short Way Home".

Could you please flesh this out, are you caching with 'web access,? and explain Quakemap.

Sort of...

The ingenuity of stuff like this, never ceases to astonish and delight me.

So, has anyone else used a satellite image to choose a hide location? Were you actually able to use the site when you went to check it out? Were you even able to find the spot that you spied from above? :ph34r:

I use aerial images all the time for all sorts of stuff. I did try to use one to place a recent cache; I was hoping for a great view at the top of a mountain. When I arrived on site I found that the vegetation was blocking the "great view". I chose another spot a hundred yards or so away. Wasn't as nice of a view as I'd hoped, but it's still a nice area and a challenging hike. I often consult the images before hiding or seeking to see what approach to take, or whether a cache is worthy of my very limited hunting time.

Could you please flesh this out, are you caching with 'web access,? and explain Quakemap.

I think they are referring to this Quakemap.

I have used satellite images to find several hiding spots. I have a few yet to go.

Because of the Mississippi River, our roads go in many directions other than NSEW. This has caused several "dead zone" of development that are not readily discernable using street maps. The satellite photos I've used have helped me identify several of these areas.

I recommend it to anyone who is having trouble placing anything larger than a micro.

The brush was way to thick to get any closer.

Wyatt, don't let a bit of bushwhacking run you off. Go deep! :D

Post script: Ain't that a picture of Val Kilmer playing Doc Holliday in your avatar?

Bushwacking is one thing, brush clearing a path is another.

Yes that's Val doing Doc. I just can't put up the guy from "The Computer that Wore Tennis Shoes" as Wyatt.

Post script: Ain't that a picture of Val Kilmer playing Doc Holliday in your avatar?

Yes that's Val doing Doc. I just can't put up the guy from "The Computer that Wore Tennis Shoes" as Wyatt.

Wyatt, I am rolling.

Wyatt, I am rolling.

Hey I refrained from any comments about bushwacking and going deep :D I know this is a family forum!